*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1478679-DRIVING-HUNGER
Rated: · Short Story · Animal · #1478679
Story from a diffrent point of view
DRIVING HUNGER
By Kati Rounds


Hunger motivated me as I walked into the neighborhood. Physical hunger drove me to come, but more than that, I craved acceptance. I had been here before, with my mother, when I was young. I was treated differently then. Though people drew back from us even then, they still seemed to be attracted to me.
“Oh, isn’t he cute!” “Look at his large brown eyes.” “I wish I could hold him.”

Now they backed away as I came towards them. I was hungry, frightened, and tired. I realized instantly that no one was going to offer food to me, or reach out his or her hand in kindness. I did not belong here, but there was nowhere else I could go.

I picked up the scent of food, coming from the garbage bin. Had I become so loathsome, so abominable, that I had to lower my standards and eat food from debris and scraps? They were watching me as I went over the wall of the dumpster, but no one tried to stop me. Food! My hunger got the best of me, and I began eating thrown away chicken, bits of melon, and torn hamburger buns. As I ate, I wondered why they wasted so much food that others like myself could use.

My stomach was full. My eyes drooped with sleep. I rested. Smack! A bag of garbage hit me in the side, while I dreamt of my mother, brothers, and far away places. I turned over, trying to recapture the dream. Bang! A can hit my head.

I needed to go home! I ate more, and climbed out of the garbage. The street was dark as I walked out toward the bike path. Then while looking in my direction, I heard a woman screaming, “A bear!”
“Where?” I asked, as I lumbered towards the wood.

© Copyright 2008 KRounds (mountaindove3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1478679-DRIVING-HUNGER