*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1482299-Unbearable
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1482299
Riding a bike for the first time can be tricky for Flash Fiction
“Come on Hank. Go ahead and give it a try. How hard can it be? That kid was riding this thing like it was a piece of cake. Christ! He must have been doing thirty, maybe forty miles an hour!” Russell was always prodding Hank into some sort of mischief.

Hank wasn’t so sure this was his bag. He eyed the bicycle suspiciously. It didn’t look stable at all. Sure, that kid made it look easy, but there had to be a trick. There was no way this was going to stay up without at least a third wheel or something. He kicked it cautiously with his toe.

“Suppose I get on this thing and it takes off like a bat out of hell? How am I going to stop it? If I crash this thing, well, that could really hurt.”

“How could you get hurt? Look at how fat you are. If this thing gets going too fast, just jump off and roll. The worst thing that could happen is maybe a bruise or something. But if you learn to ride this thing, well, that changes the game completely. You could go into show business. You would be famous!

“But how do I get on the thing to begin with? Shouldn’t there be a seat or something?”

“That’s a good question. I think that kid was sitting on this thing here.”

They both eyed the bicycle seat dubiously.

Hank shook his head. There was no way his butt was going to settle on that ridiculously little pad.

“I know,” said Russell. “Let’s get the kid to show us how to do it.”

The two bears looked up at little Timmy Scranton. This proved counterproductive as the boy simply climbed higher up the tree.

The circus would have to wait.

Word count 300
© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1482299-Unbearable