*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1481464-Homecoming
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1481464
First deep space probe returns to Earth at the end of its mission for Flash Fiction
The burn sequence stopped, signaling the end of a more than three hundred year trip, Earth time. Deep probe Sigma-9 was returning from its voyage to the Alpha Centauri system, a long term project initiated during The Enlightenment, a period in Earth’s history characterized by peace, a unified government and a commitment to discovery.

Automated systems came online as the vessel sailed past the rings of Saturn. The cryo-cap panel blinked to life as the resuscitation sequence was initiated. Commander Jackson had been asleep since completing his successful scientific study in the Centauri system. Before tucking himself away for the deep sleep, he had fired off a communication blast homeward telling them he was anxious to get back. He imagined the reception he would get. There would almost certainly be a big parade. He would be famous, his future secured. History would carry tales of his adventure for generations yet unborn.

The craft entered Earth’s gravity well while the commander was still in the cryo-cap. This would enable him to better survive the high g-forces that would be experienced as atmospheric braking slowed the craft down from more than fifty-thousand miles an hour. The final step of the resuscitation would not take place until after the craft had landed at mission control.

Jackson opened his eyes, confusion fought with reason as the injection of adrenaline kicked in. Something was not right. He quickly made his way into the control cabin. What had happened? The craft was still in the air. He was not supposed to be awoken until after landing.

Communications were coming up blank. His ship was sending and yet … there was no response. The entire electro-magnetic spectrum was quiet.

He turned on the external monitor … and sighed. Smoldering bedrock looked back at him from the screen.

Word count 300


http://www.jimdillingham.blogspot.com
© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1481464-Homecoming