*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1482930-Left-the-new-right
Rated: E · Article · Other · #1482930
Ever wonder what its like to be a left hander? Curious about their history?
Left Handed Legacy



In the past, being a left-handed person used to be a real negative. Years ago, if you were a left-handed child you would be teased and taunted for being different from everybody else. If you tried to use your left hand in school, you could be spanked or have your knuckles rapt with a ruler. Even home wasn’t safe for these unique left-handers. Parents would do whatever they could to break their child of the “bad habit” of using their left hand. It was extremely common for parents to tie their child’s left hand behind their back to force them to get used to using their right hand.



Right Handers vs. Left Handers



As the years have passed there has been quite a bit of research dedicated to those who use their left hands as opposed to the far more prominent right-handers. Scientist have unearthed that left-handed individuals are able to use both sides of their brain equally. On the other hand, those who favor using their right hands do not use both sides of their brain. Instead, right-handed individuals tend to use more of the left side of their brain. It has also been argued that left handed people tend to be higher achievers, and have the capacity to think faster than right-handed individuals.

What’s unique about Lefties?



Despite the fact that left-handers have had to put up with, there are a lot of perks to being left handed. Many left-handers tend to excel at sports, and are even able to develop an advantage due to their left dominance. In boxing for example, having a strong left hook could certainly take your opponent by surprise! Left-handers are also extremely likely to be more creative individuals. This quality often means being quite adept in fine arts.





Famous Lefties

Despite all of the prejudice that left-handers have run up against there have been many great individuals who have been left-handers. To date we have had seven US Presidents that were left handers including Herbert Hoover, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, and Bill Clinton. There have been countless others in politics that have been proud left-handers just like Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg. There have also been many truly historic left-handers like Joan of Arc, Alexander the Great, Queen Victoria, David Rockefeller, and John F. Kennedy Jr.



Left handers have had a difficult history filled with challenges. However, the future looks bright for those of the left-handed persuasion. As the research continues, it seems like positive traits for left-handers are constantly being discovered. Additionally, with an extensive list of famous and influential left-handers, the groundwork has been laid for greatness!



Well, er I'm also a left hander as well.

www.heartfeltmoment.com
share the moment
spread the love
© Copyright 2008 saint_iori (saint_iori at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1482930-Left-the-new-right