*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1483688-A-Typical-Day
Rated: E · Fiction · Other · #1483688
An old piece of mine from high school creative writing class.
         Day after day after day of the same thing can get extremely boring when you’ve been at it for the last twelve years.  An exciting day is when you get a paper cut, or when one of your co-workers gets a date for Saturday night.  Having the same job, with the same routine of getting up, going to work, going home, sleeping, getting back up can get tiresome to even the most patient of people.  It seemed like you have no chance at a promotion, no chance of ever getting a “date” for any night much less a Saturday, and no chance of breaking out of your nice and neat routine.  Then, fate turns a blind eye and you get a chance to turn your life around.

         He was applying for a job on the fourth floor, where you worked and happened to get on the same elevator as you.  As he was getting onto the elevator, he bumped into you and knocked all of the papers out of your arms.  Not looking up, you of course start to pick up the papers that are scattered all over the elevator.  Meanwhile, he’s apologizing profusely and trying to help you. When you finally look at him to berate him for knocking into you, you’re stunned.

         Piercing gold-brown eyes look back into yours.  Raven black hair tops off his sculptured face.  His lips frown in concern for you.  He was the most gorgeous looking gentleman you had ever laid eyes on, and you were going to have to work with him from that day on.

         The same day you met your gentleman, your boss received a promotion to a different field office.  Being that you were the person with the most seniority, you were asked to take his position.  After twelve years of waiting, you finally received what you had been asking for. 

         The position you had left was now open, and your gentleman was your replacement as you later learned.  He was a model employee with excellent references and an excellent education.  He was also eager to please his new employer.

         After several days, your gentleman decided to ask you out for a “date on Saturday night”.  You say yes.  It’s an ideal relationship from the start for you.  Your life starts taking a turn for the better.  No more boring routine.  Now the only routine is what time you go in to work.  Everything else is never the same.  You’re happier, healthier, and no longer single.

         Of course, as soon as the good part of the dream starts to happen, you wake up and find out your boss has caught you sleeping on the job.  That same day, you’re passed over for a promotion because you were seen as a slacker.  #
© Copyright 2008 Crystal McDonald (kuro_agehachou at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1483688-A-Typical-Day