*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1486225-Journal-of-a-Vampire
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Supernatural · #1486225
A look into the mind of a vampire, the way they think, and their principals
Journals of a Vampire


A heartbeat is something nobody really thinks about until it’s gone. For most people, after death they go on to something new. I’ve never known what it is; I haven’t gotten that far. For a vampire, it’s nearly impossible to know. For a vampire, we have no heartbeat, and for most of us we miss it. We feel emptiness inside, our bodies are no longer full of life, and we yearn for it. That is where our everlasting hunger comes from, it is never sedated. We search for the feeling of life through the bodies that we take, and sometimes we find it, but it only lasts for a while, and then the Hunger returns. In different places and times we were served fresh blood in a glass, but there is no replacement for the sweet intoxicating feeling of taking it from a young, healthy body. The feeling of a heartbeat against our numb fingers, slowly dying down and stopping. But our hunger still returns. Always.
~~
Vampires choose those they want to change very carefully. They don’t just find a person walking down the street. The person they choose is usually strong in soul. They aren’t dumb, and never ugly. Vampires have a certain dignity about them. They are represented by their own selves, and choose only those they approve of. Some people tend to think we change humans on a whim. Sometimes it is for amusement, but we don’t choose just anybody. We invade their thoughts and see how they react to certain things. We must keep our species alive, and to do that we only choose the best.
~~   
There are those of my kind that detest who they are. They choose to hide from their power and they shake in the light of the sun, trying to grow deeper inside of their selves. And then there are the ones, like I, who relish the flow of a person’s blood down their throat, those who live for the hunt, and cherish the power they were given at death.
~~   
Our death from the living is not as many imagine. It is true our bodies must die, but it does not happen quickly. It does not take a few moments in time with a short exchange of life’s nectar. In fact, it can take weeks, months, sometimes years depending on the bodies strength, the will of the heart to continue beating. When the heart stops, with the smallest drop of blood left, that is when the change begins. The body does not die, and the pain of death continues till the long process of decay begins.
© Copyright 2008 Jazzie Fae (jazzie_fae at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1486225-Journal-of-a-Vampire