*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1488800-Tonights-the-Night-for-Goodbye
Rated: · Prose · Emotional · #1488800
The night two lovers say goodbye...
I broke his heart tonight when I told him we couldn't be. I lied to myself as I watched the lonely tear drops hit the floor and told myself we would be okay. We would never be okay. We would forever be longing for each other, longing for one touch, one kiss, one moment to forever be deposited into the annals of history as full of raw emotion and engulfed in passion that only we would share. That day, that moment would never come. We couldn't see. We wouldn't see. So tonight I told him that we needed to take a step back. We needed to let go before it became too late, before we couldn't step back anymore and let our lives go back to the way they were. He was strong. He told me he understood. His face told me otherwise, but he was strong. Although we couldn't, I still felt him reach out to me tonight. I felt him touch my face and kiss my forehead. I reached out to him. I held only my own tears which had fallen into my empty hands. I tried one last time. I needed to touch him, to hold him just once. I broke my heart tonight when I realized we couldn't be.
© Copyright 2008 Colleen Browning-Kissner (colleenkissner at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1488800-Tonights-the-Night-for-Goodbye