*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1489289-The-Dare
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1489289
Josh takes on a dare. (Flash Fiction)
The feel of the “thump” followed by the sight of the body flying over the hood and into the windshield only served to make Josh press even harder on the accelerator; not something one would normally expect from the captain of the school debate team and lifetime member of the Student’s for Goodness Society.

Just a few minutes ago, as he stood in from of the old Hansen house about two miles east of town, a rock held in his left hand, Josh thought back to the moment that had changed everything. It was all pretty much a blur, involving a girl he had a crush on, a crowded lunch room, a dare and a quick kiss on the cheek.

Suddenly he was “all in”.

All he needed to do was to wait for the sun to go down and then throw a rock through one of the windows of the abandon house. He watched as the sun hung, seemly frozen just inches above the horizon. A rustling from behind him caught his attention. Turning quickly, he noticed the scarecrow about two hundred yards out into the field, protecting the dead stalks of corn from nothing.

The sun dipped halfway down into the horizon and he adjusted his grip on the rock. Shadows began to lengthen as he turned to look at the cornfield one more time. The scarecrow was somehow different; it actually looked like it was much closer than he remembered.

A glance at the missing sun said it was time. He tossed the rock, breaking a window. A sound from behind had him running for his car while fumbling for his keys. The car started on the first try and he gunned the machine into a u-turn.

In the road ahead was the scarecrow. Josh never hesitated.

Word count 300





© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1489289-The-Dare