*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1489852-Gas--Food
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Adult · #1489852
A Story written by email -- By Lorna Dune & Alexandra Griffin.
And the car rolled on mile after mile each one looking the same as the one before. There was no need for a map because there was no destination. All her troubles were behind her and nothing she wanted in front. But, she did want to find some peace, as she knew she would never forget. Then her stomach growled for what seemed like the 10th time and she started looking for an exit. Just up ahead was a small town which just said, one gas station and one diner.

Unleaded $4.98, the explitive that rang though her head never actually left her lips as she drove past the station and pulled into a lonely old dinner. - Gas & Food - . Looking down at the gas guage she tried to remember how much money was in left in the bottom of her purse. A 1/4 tank, and seventy two dollars. Still halfway to nowhere. Too bad this diner was so shabby, otherwise she would ask for a job, preferably cook.

The people were nice, that was a start. She sighed, destination, nowhere. I wonder if this place could be a temporary stop over? The white posterboard sign read, "Seat Yourself." The Diner was suprisingly busy, but there were several booths to choose from. She slid into one by the window so the sun could warm her. "I'll be with ya in a minute," called the old waiter without looking up from the coffee he was pouring. There wasn't a menu on the table, so she looked around while waiting for him to come over. A sign taped to the counter caught her attention. Nanny Wanted for two angels and one demon ages 4, 7, and 13: Days - some evenings - cooking skills required...If interested call Dr. Barnes....


Now this was the ticket! She got up from the table and walked over to the sign. While she was writing down the phone number a man came up behind her and said, "I am Dr. Barnes, are you really intersted in the job?"

She replied, "Yes I am, but which one is the 'demon'?"

Dr. Barnes smiled, "Why the four year old of course, but I am waiting for the time when the teenager over shadows her and for Matt to go through his growing pains."

"Well, I would like to apply for the job and I am a good cook, I used to run a catering business
in upstate California, so I am a pretty good cook. Both plain and fancy menus, so are there things your children just refuse to eat?"

He said, "Where are you sitting, we need to talk more."

They both sat at the booth still without menus. His eyes took her in for a minute. He had blue eyes like mountain lakes. She spoke, breaking a silence she was begining to feel was becoming awkward. "I can provide you with references. I know I am new to town, but I have had steady work for the past several years."

To Be Continued -- An Email Story By Lorna Dune & Alexandra Griffin
© Copyright 2008 Alex Griffin (alexandra at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1489852-Gas--Food