*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1490426-Imagination-Runs-Free-Chapter-2
Rated: E · Other · Action/Adventure · #1490426
fantasy novel
Imagination Runs Free
Chapter 2

The Floodlights screamed at Gary's eyes as he struggled to regain consciousness.  There seemed to be many eyes staring at him, though his eyes were sealed shut.

Being doused with a bucket of water brought Gary into a state of intense hysteria.  His eyes snapped open, as if by command, and he became extremely frigid.  Shivering in a hard wooden chair,  Gary looked around.  No one was there.  In fact, nothing was there.  Where was he?  The only light was that of a single floodlight casting a circle of brilliance around him. 

The remains of wherever he was resided in darkness, sheer isolated obscurity.  If nobody was there, how did Gary get drenched with water?

He tried to call out for help, but his vocal cords felt as though they were cut.  Actually, he felt remarkably arid, really parched.  As if his lips had not met water for ages!

Long story short, no sound went beyond his dry tounge.

Instead, Gary -- having learned morse code in one of the many books he read at the Muncie library -- stomped his sneakers on the dusty wooden floor in the traditional "HELP"  code: ...(S)---(O)...(S).

He repeated this fashion many times.  To no avail.  No matter how profusely the sounds echoed -- Which seemed to be a great distance, he must've been in some kind of warehouse -- Gary never once got aid or even a response.  He began to get bored; his panic was waning.

Gary knew he couldn't sleep.  He figured he'd just get drenched with water a second time.  No, instead Gary did what he thought of as his last weapon against boredom -- he thought of a song.

Gary had always been able to compose a song at any time.  Had his family had a little more money to buy him a piano or a guitar, he could've started a band.  This song was one of the mysteries of the Unknown, perfect for how he got into this situation...

"Can you see the light?
Can you see, can you see can you see?
Can you see through the night?
Can you see?"

Before long, the song got stuck in his head, and Gary sat there, singing in the oddest of places...
© Copyright 2008 WilsonTrent (dubahyu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1490426-Imagination-Runs-Free-Chapter-2