*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1491772-The-past-still-exists-in-the-future
by Danii
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Death · #1491772
Aboriginal woman tells the tale of her tragic life, even after death.
The past still exists in the present

Even now, beyond earth, my past still haunts me. As I look down and watch the world, it is still the same. The people are still the same. Nothing has changed.



I, like many other women of the same Aboriginal background, was put through the worst physical and mental torture that any human being could ever experience. Life before this incident wasn’t very good; however I hadn’t in my wildest dreams ever imagined that it could get even worse.



Yes, it had been spoken about in my community, but as they say, you never truly understand something until you experience it for yourself. Perhaps this is why nothing has been said to prevent it from happening.



It happened to another lady we knew, a close friend of my mothers actually, but I still couldn’t imagine how a human being could put another person through so much pain that would, after that moment, haunt their lives forever. Something we now have to live with. Something we now look back on as one of the most horrific experiences, in our lives.



As the days on earth slowly unfold before me, I’m kept out of reach as I watch helplessly; the fabrics of society slowly disintegrate before my eyes, I stand helpless as devastating events unfold. Seeing the pain in their eyes creates a tear which slowly runs down my face and I am left with a flashback to remind me how I felt. Alone. Frightened. Helpless.



I pray everyday to reach out to them and save them. I never did. But the only thing these poor women can do is to close their eyes, and hope to die, the same way I did.



The ironic thing however is that no matter how many people suffer this pain, still nothing is done to put a stop to it. There are people in reach. People with the ability and power to take action and put an end to the hell that becomes of these young girls lives. However the same question still lingers on the faces of those who have suffered. Why has nothing been done? How can people witness these crimes. Hear about them, but keep a locked zipper over their mouths. It has been spoken about in the community for years, however has always been given the cold shoulder. I guess people don’t see the need to act on something unless they have also experienced it. Which, in this case. Could never be done, as these rapes frequently end in murder.







Many young women and I have experienced this crazy addiction people have, that is becoming more and more common. I guess there’s nothing more I can do. Except pray for a miracle that in time may never come. Until then, I am bound to a life of sitting back and watching as reality slowly becomes a nightmare.

© Copyright 2008 Danii (danii at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1491772-The-past-still-exists-in-the-future