*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1492562-Bryant-Park
by Randy
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #1492562
I little slice of life
I left my mid-town office in Manhattan, and was in no particular hurry. I decided to see what the new construction in Bryant park was about. I could hear the speakers playing Louis Armstong and was enticed further. 

What they had constructed in the middle of the park was an ice-skating rink complete with lockers and dining tables. Quite an elaborate set up I thought. It was a warm day and maybe ten skaters were on the ice. There was also about a half-an-inch of water on the ice. I pity the person who fell in the slop as I didn’t think anyone brought a change of clothes. But I could be wrong. As of yet no one was wet.

What I also noticed was three men on the ice with orange jackets with the words “Skating Guard” on the back. Also an EMS person standing on the side with more guards. Were they expecting some sort of skating riot?

I soon strolled over to the Pétanque court. This is a game similar to lawn bowling or Bocce. Pétenque has it’s origin in France and is played with metal balls. The players of today’s game where four young men. Three dressed casually and one in a business suit and tie. The young man in the suit was also talking on a cell phone while playing. This led to him trying to throw out of turn and then being told when it was his turn. He even kept talking when throwing the metal balls.

I moved along to conduct my business. Half an hour later when my business was done I came back through the park. I first walked to the Pétanque court. The same group of young men were still playing and the young man in the suit was still talking on the cell phone. I then proceeded to the ice rink where the guards were still waiting for the riot and no one as of yet was wet.

I am not sure why but it felt peaceful that nothing had changed in my short time away from the park. As if the usual hustle and bustle of the city did not affect this little piece of serenity.

© Copyright 2008 Randy (rcarboni at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1492562-Bryant-Park