*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1493408-Vigilance-across-the-Void
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1493408
This is a Science Fiction short story.
Standard Geocentric Date: 26.09.2384
Aboard PTPF Frigate Thor
Patrolling the Asteroid Belt


          I am Arthur Scott; Commander of the Achilles Fleet of the Consortium Trade Protection Force (CTPF).  As my fleet wound its way across the Asteroid belt; the sun's rays were scattered by very tiny asteroids, which looked like tiny fire flies which came in and out of vision. This travel in micro gravity frustrates me! Much of my time is spent reading and talking about the days I spent with my friends, training at the Academy. Some of them are aboard the Thor. Their company certainly helps me to overcome the boring routine of commanding the ship. Now, how can I forget to mention Elektra, my ship's AI, who is also my companion. She is a vast repository of knowledge and a wonderful mathematician. She is indispensable in calculating suitable trajectories for navigation. I often ask her to educate me in minute detail, the progress made by humanity in the last three hundred years  Sometimes, the inspiration i derive from my predecessors' courage and ambition is the only thing that keeps me going! So let me give you some background information about the Force of which I am an integral part.
            The CTPF was formed in 2312 A.D.  by private entrepreneurs as a response to the growing incidents of Piracy along the various Trade Routes passing through the Asteroid belt. The discovery of large reserves of  the fuel Helium-3 which could be used as a fuel in Fusion Reactors, on the Lunar Surface and the Success of the ITER pilot Project for Commercial Use of Fusion Energy as a Clean Alternative; led to renewed interests of various Nations for Setting up of a Lunar base, in the early 21st Century, and thus created a Large Industrial Establishment on the Moon to Cater to the ever increasing energy consumption on Earth while simultaneously controlling the threat of Global Warming.  By 2050, close to 10,000 people of various nationalities were working on various Lunar Bases. The success of the Lunar Base led Humans to set their sights on conquering Mars. The Mountain Olympus Mons which is an extinct Volcano proved to be the Ideal place; as the Thermal energy deep within it could be used to power the Base on Mars. But the atmosphere on Mars was very thin, and the temperatures were too low. Humans embarked on an ambitious project of Terraformation of Mars. High quantities of PerFluoro Carbons were added into the Martian atmosphere, to trap heat from the Sun.  Increasing the atmospheric pressure of Mars was the next concern. All eyes were set on Saturn's Moon Titan. Titan with its great treasure of hydrocarbon reserves; which are a hundred times more abundant than on Earth; would help increase both the atmosphere of Mars, and also double as cheap fuel. Further, due to extremely cold temperatures and high atmospheric pressure on Titan, the Hydrocarbon reserves are in Liquid form as great lakes. Cutting edge research in Artificial Intelligence helped in creating Robots which helped transport hydrocarbon Containers to Orbit using Space elevators. Pilot-less Drones would then transport these containers, efficiently navigating  across the asteroid belt, to Mars. The liquid hydrocarbons would vaporize on Mars, thus increasing the density of the Martian atmosphere. As Oxygen is scarce in the Martian atmosphere there is no danger of Ignition.
            I was lost in my reverie, when Lieutenant Morris approached me;
‘Detecting Activity around asteroid Ceres.'
‘Captain Walker! Slow down the Thor to 40,000 nautical miles an hour. Activate Stealth. Inform rest of the crew to follow suit! Lieutenant Morris! Get me in touch with Lieutenant Commander Kuragin. Do not use Radio frequencies. Use Quantum encrypted lasers. I do not want any other Ship to come across the transmission.'
            The Fusion Reactor propelled Thor began to decelerate rapidly. It would attain the target velocity in 10 minutes. The beautiful and efficient Irene Kuragin is the second in command of the Achilles Fleet. She heads the Reserve Fleet which is following us at a distance of 125,000 nautical miles.
‘It is a Pirate fleet Sir! The size of the Fleet is around 50 chips. Lieutenant Commander is online!’ boomed Morris.
‘Lieutenant Commander Irene Kuragin reporting!’.
‘We have detected a Pirate Fleet at the Asteroid Ceres. There appears to be some serious Illegal mining going on!. The size of the fleet is around 50 ships; which is as we know roughly twice the size of the Achilles. But, we are pretty sure that all of them are not armed and there might be a few Carriers down there.  I need the Reserve to alter course, and head for the asteroid Damascus; which is 10,000 nautical miles behind Ceres, and has roughly the same orbital path as Ceres. We will distract the enemy while you get there. You will attack the rear of the pirate fleet with full force on my instruction. I rely on all your expertise to get the Reserve to Damascus, undetected and on time’.
‘You will not be disappointed Sir!’, was her curt reply.
‘Good luck! Over.’
‘Over and Out.’   
          ‘Don’t get any closer to the pirate fleet. Get the Thor and the rest of the fleet to the same orbit as Ceres. Bide your time till the Reserve Fleet gets to the Damascus.'
          ‘Yes Commander’ replied Morris.
          'Elektra! Double check navigation co-ordinates prepared by Lieutenant Morris.'
          ‘Any information on the composition of the pirate fleet’, I asked.
          ‘There appear to be two classes of fighter crafts. Some of the crafts appear to belong to the sluggish yet deadly Akula Class, and the others apparently belong to the state-of-the-art  Herakles Class. Both kinds of ships might be equipped with missiles carrying low intensity Nuclear Warheads. There are around 35 Ships capable of warfare.’ replied Elektra.
         

        ‘Witness greater enemy movement; The pirate ships are converging in attack formation,’reported Walker.
      So it begins! There was a sudden surge of adrenaline through my body. I gave the tactical instructions to my fleet.
      ‘Blackbird, Geranimo, Avenger I, Avenger II  to my Left. Taj, Dragonfire I,II and III to my Right. My Ship, the Thor with the Pegasus and Torpedo will form the Center Flank. Maintain perfect Arrow formation. No room for error!’
      My Fleet accelerated at Full thrust with the Thor in the lead in impeccable Arrow formation. The Pirates concentrated at the surging Central flank. As we approached striking distance; my Ship, Pegasus and Torpedo decelerated in perfect synchronization to be overtaken by the Left and the Right flanks, spreading outwards. The Pirates were taken by surprise!
      ‘Right and Left, Fire at will!’
The Right and the Left flanks fired 12 nuclear tipped Hellfire missiles. The missiles raced across the void, intelligently making their way past the small clumps of rocks in their path. Eight of the enemy ships were hit; and rendered impotent. There was panic across enemy ranks. Missiles were fired by the pirates. Our ships employed counter measures, but two of them were hit; and the ships along with the brave crew were destroyed. At that very moment, Irene and her ships attacked the rear of the Pirate fleet. A dozen of their ships were destroyed by the Blitzkrieg. The whole of the enemy fleet was in a state of chaos. The Thor fired six missiles, all of which hit their targets, and six more of the enemy ships were destroyed. The rest of the pirate crew surrendered.
          Suddenly everything was quite!. I lost many of my bravest men; some of them whom I had known since my early days in the Academy. These pirate bastards will suffer the consequence!
          ‘Morris! Send Lieutenant Anderson and Lieutenant Ferrel to take control of the pirate ships. And bring all the pirate crew to the Thor. I need to have a word with them!’
          ‘Sir…..’
          ‘Yes Morris?’
            ‘I will have your orders conveyed to the Lieutenants right away!’
            ‘Get me in touch with Irene Kuragin.’
            ‘Lieutenant Commander  Online!’
            ‘Lieutenant Commander Irene Kuragin reporting.’
            ‘Bravo! Bravo! You saved the day.'
            ‘It was your planning, I was just doing my duty.’
            ‘Underestimating yourself as always. Irene! Shall we meet after… hmm.  four hours, aboard the Thor.’ 
            ‘Yes! Commander.’
            ‘Meanwhile I have to meet my pirate friends’.
Time to make the pirates play Russian Roulette!
           

     
     





© Copyright 2008 Abraham Nayak (shashank_nayak at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1493408-Vigilance-across-the-Void