*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1500298-Survival-Instinct-Chapter-1
by Dreama
Rated: · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1500298
This is the first chapter in my first story on here.
CHAPTER 1


  I sat on the couch between Damien and Josh. We were watching television and basically just chilling out. After five long hours we finally got all of my stuff moved into the large penthouse and we were exhausted. Our other roommate - the one that I'd never met before - had skipped out on us.
  I took a bite of the moosetrack ice cream and shifted my feet on the coffee table. I glanced at Damien out of the corner of my eye. He was tall with black hair and dark eyes. He was my best friend and a vampire.
  I glanced at Josh. He had light brown hair and hazel colored eyes. He was tall and more built than Damien. He, too, was a vampire. I didn't mind the fact that they were vampires at all.
  Vampires had been unveilved in the world. Some people hated them, some ignored them, some merely fucked them, and some loved them like family - like I did. And then there were those very few that were in love with them.
  I was bored watching the movie and a thought occured to me as I dug my spoon into the ice cream. I glanced back over at Damien. He was the more playful one and the first one that I'd met. He was like the big brother that I never had. I looked back at the ice cream. I couldn't stop the smirk that pulled on my lips as I flung the ice cream at him just for the hell of it.
  It hit his cheek and began to slide down.
  He didn't move for the longest time. And when he did move it was too fast for my eyes to follow. One minute I was sitting there, watching and waiting for his reaction and the next I was on the floor getting tickled until I feared I would piss on myself.
  "Stop!" I giggled.
  "Why should I?" he asked in his velvety, seductive, British accent.
  "Because it's not fair!"
  "Never said I was fair, luv."
  I kept trying to push him away but it wasn't working. If only he weren't thousands and thousands of times more stronger than I was....
  "Josh, help!" I giggled, still trying to squirm away unsuccessfully.
  In a second Damien was gone from above me and I breathed in the air greedily, thankful for it. I propped up on my elbows at the same time I heard the sound of glass breaking.
  I looked around the large living room and saw them wrestling on the floor. They'd knocked a vase off of a stand. For it to only be guys that lived here six hours ago the place was nice and neat. It was really weird. I always expected mass destruction when I came through the door, but I was proved wrong every time.
  I stood up and ran over to them. I jumped on Damien's back and latched my legs and arms around him in a death hold. Seconds later he was pulling me off and he held me dangling in front of him, my feet at least a foot from the ground. His dark eyes stared into mine, leveled.
  "Now, luv, you're going to get hurt."
  "I don't think so."
  He raised an eyebrow. "And why not?"
  I smiled. "Because you wouldn't hurt me."
  "Are you sure?" he teased.
  "Damien, didn't your mother ever teach you not to play with your food?"
  We both turned our attention to the man in the doorway. He was tall - taller than Damien whom was six-three - and well toned. He had dark brown hair. It was shaggy and hung down into his dark brown - nearly black - eyes and over his ears. He was extraordinaryly beautiful, but by his stance I could tell that he was a cocky fuck and we would not be getting along.
  "Kane, this is our new roommate Lillith," Josh said, suddenly appearing between Damien and I and Kane.
  Kane smirked before he pushed past Josh, took my wrists from Damien and dropped me onto the couch. I glared up at him. He leaned down near me. "Hello, Lillith."
  "Kane."
  He grabbed a piece of dark brown hair that had come loose from my bun during the playing and tucked it behind my ear, still smirking.
  I pulled away from him. "I'd appreciate it if you didn't touch me."
  "You don't like being touched?" This amused him.
  "As a matter of fact, I don't. Not by cocky dogs."
  The smirk disappears and his mouth sets into a hard line. "Watch you the fuck you're talking to like that, human." He leaned closer to where I could feel his cool breath against my skin. "I'm not one for murals." With that he straightened and disappeared.
  Josh and Damien appeared in front of me. Josh held out the ice cream and spoon for me and I took it, though I wasn't in the mood for it any more. I'd made him run three blocks for it just minutes before and, even though it didn't really bother him, I didn't want that weighing on my conscious.
  They sat back down beside me. Damien wrapped his arm around my shoulders and I leaned my head against his shoulder. Damien and I were strictly friends and we both new that. He was like an older brother and I was like a little sister.
  "Don't worry about Kane," he told me. "He'll come around. He's not so bad once you get to know him."
  "Sure," I muttered before taking a bite of the ice cream.


  The next morning I woke to a bright light. I groaned and rolled over onto my stomach, pulling the blanket over my head. I wanted to sleep some more. I hadn't gotten to sleep until four in the morning.
  Suddenly the blanket was ripped away from me. I rolled over and shot up. I glared at Kane who had my comforter in hand and that smirk from last night on his face. "You need to wake up. It's late."
  I glanced at my clock and then I went off. "It's seven in the fucking morning! That's fucking earlier as fuck! What the hell is wrong with you?! Did your mom make sure to drop you on your head when you were a baby?"
  He frowned for a brief moment before the smirk returned. "Listen human, you need-"
  "My name is 'Lillith' not 'human'. Get it right or don't talk to me."
  "-to watch your tongue with me. I don't have much patience with things like you," he continued as if I'd never interrupted him.
  "You need to leave me alone because I don't have the patience to deal with you."
  He was suddenly in front of me, his arms on either side of me and he was leaning towards me, making me lean back. "Seriously Lillith-" he hissed my name, "-don't push me." Then he was gone.
  I fell back and groaned. Living here was supposed to be a release from my parents, from my brothers, from all the people that drug me down and expected any and every thing of me. Now I have this Kane vamp to deal with. Well if he wanted to make my life hell, I'd make his hell, starting after he went to sleep tonight.
  I got up and showered. I brushed my waist long hair and left it down. I brushed my teeth and then applied my makeup. I put on a clear coat of lip gloss over my full red lips and black eyeliner around my emerald green eyes. I didn't have to use mascara because my black eyelashes were already long and thick.
  I walked out of the bathroom and into my closet. I pulled on a pair of jeans and a simple muscle shirt. I left my room and went into the kitchen. Josh was already there, still in his...spongebob?...boxers and shirtless. That was a nice view for the morning.
  Damien was beside him in boxers that basically screamed out 'Vegas' with the cards and poker chips and slot machines. He, too, was shirtless.
  This might be a little hard. They might be my best friends, but they're vampires and they are extremely hot so I can't help it. I am only human after all. I climbed onto one of the barstools while they cooked across from me.
  "Y'all really should put a shirt on."
  "Who? Me?" They asked in unison, both looking up at me at the same time.
  I swore these two were fraternal twins and seperated at birth. I slightly shook my head after a moment. "Both of you! I mean, God!" I put my face in my hands. "This is going to be really hard." My voice was muddled by my hands, but by the smirks on their faces I knew that they had understood me perfectly.
  "I thought you didn't think of us that way, Lillith," Josh said, leaning forward on the counter.
  "I don't!"
  "Then why are you saying that?" Damien asked, leaning forward as well.
  "Because despite y'all are like brothers to me, y'all are extremely hot and muscular and it would drive any female insane, okay?"
  They share a quick glance before Josh begins to say something. Only he's cut off by a voice made of muted, velvet folds that's getting all too familiar and all too annoying. "Well some people like it brother and sister style and I guess you're one of them, human."
  He leans on the counter beside where I sit. I glare at him. "One, my name is not human. Two, I'm not one of those sick, twisted fucks like you are, Kane. And three, it's not like it's any of your fucking business to begin with. So why don't you run along and go play with your boyfriend and leave me the hell alone?"
  He smirked at me. "I would leave you alone, but your too irrational and it's hilarious for me."
  I groaned and rolled my eyes. "Seriously Kane, if you want any of your man hood left just leave me the hell alone," I said lowly and slowly, emphasizing the 'man hood' part of it.
  "I think I'll take my chances."
  So throughout breakfast Kane and I yelled and argued with one another. He was obviously getting a kick out of it. I, on the other hand, wasn't, but I couldn't stop because it's never been in my nature to sit back and take anything. I'd always been taught to stand up for myself and once Kane learned this, he used it against me like there was no tomorrow.
  Then in the middle of a television show he wouldn't leave me alone, teasing and picking which turned into some major arguments between us. Damien and Josh sat off in the corner, trying to hold back their laughter.
  Kane eventually stole the remote from me and put it on some reality game show where they put one vampire in a house full of humans in order to test how long he could resist whilst trying to win the game.
  "That's pointless," I commented.
  "Maybe to you, but it's entertaining," Kane retorted, kicking his feet up on the coffee table and sighing contently.
  "You know they have to give the vampire blood behind the scenes," Josh stated to no one in particular.
  "Probably. Otherwise he would have gone mad and killed every last one of them by now," Damien agreed.
  I ignored them and the show and just got off into my own little world of reminiscing and day dreaming of how much better my life would be right now if Kane wasn't such an asshole. I begin to wonder if he's biast against humans. He probaby is.
  Asshole.


  Later that night after Kane had went to sleep I slipped into his room with two cans of shaving cream. I approached his large bed silently, the tops already off of the cans so that they won't make that much noise.
  Kane was slightly snoring.
  So I hurried over and put shaving cream all of his bare chest - which was super muscular and I tried to keep my eyes away from it for as long as possible - and his face. On both of his cheeks I wrote my name in the shaving cream and then I wrote it real big across his chest.
  Then I slipped out of his room and slept with a smile on my face.
  The next morning Josh, Damien, and I were sitting in the living room watching television and eating cereal when Kane woke up. He walked through the living room, shaving cream every where and he was still oblivious to it.
  Josh and Damien's eyes grew wide and I just smirked. They looked at me as soon as Kane entered the bathroom. They both looked shocked and slightly scared. I didn't care. I just sat there and waited. Then it came.
  "Lillith!" Kane screamed to the top of his lungs.
  I sighed and kicked my feet up on the table. "Sweet music to my ears."
© Copyright 2008 Dreama (saralena at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1500298-Survival-Instinct-Chapter-1