*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1504430-Innocent-blood--Chapter-1
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Drama · #1504430
Chapter 1. Beautiful Moon.
One night I lay in my room. Pitch dark around me. I lift a hand but I can’t see it. The radio flashed on a light roar of music. The clock blinks ’12:00’. My covers are still over my head. The bedroom door opened and my mom waked in. Click. My light turned on.

“Awe, Mom!” I complained, hiding my face with more blankets. I see my moms figure walk to the window and open the blinds. “Mother! It’ Saturday! Why are you waking me up at—“ I paused my sentence to look at the clock—12:10. I had over slept. Mom laughed a little and then walked back to my bedroom door.

“Come downstairs to eat your lunch. Then I have to talk to you about something.” Mom said. Her laughter had disappeared. Now, her voice sounded serious or sad.

“Um… A-alright…” I watched the door shut behind her. Looking over to the window. Dark clouds circled the sun. I got up out of bed to get a better look. Forgetting about my alarm my eyes widened and I thought I saw someone out there. It looked like ‘it’ was a ‘he’. The only thing that I noticed about him was his pure white, glowing eyes. They were very soft, but yet serious. Like his eyes were searching for something that had been lost for a long time.

“Honey!” Mom yelled from the bottom of the stairs. “Lunch can’t wait for you forever ya` know!” I quickly turned my head to look at the door. There was a piece of paper taped to it. It said:

I’ve finally found you! Missy…

He…He knows my name? I thought, now shaking where I stand.

“Are you coming down or not Honey? Is something wrong? Is it that week again?” of all the things mom could have thought was wrong. She thinks I’m having cramps? I tried to find the right tone in my voice to reply.

“Y-yeah… I’m fine. Just trying to figure out what to wear.”

Figure out what to wear? How did I think that up? Mom knows I only wear sweats on Saturdays. She must have gone for it anyway. Mom didn’t reply. I walked to the door and quickly took the note down off of it. I threw away the tape. Then I decided to fold the note and put it in my pants pocket. I walked down the stairs quickly after and made my way into the kitchen.

“What’s for lunch?” I asked, noticing the table wasn’t set and nothing smelled like it was being cooked.

“We’re going out to eat.” Mom already had her keys in her hand.

“O-okay…” I scrambled to find my shoes. “Oh! Um…Mom hold on a second. My shoes are up in my room.” I quickly ran back up the stairs and threw open my door, letting it tap on the door stopper behind it. Scanning the room for my shoes, I saw another note. Saying:

I’ll be waiting…Missy…I can see you anywhere…

Did I have a stoker? Or was it more than that? This was starting to scare me a little. Ripping the note from where it was taped, I folded it and put it with the other note in my pocket. When I looked down at my feet—Reminding myself that I still didn’t have shoes on—I saw my shoes, so I quickly put them on. Running down the stairs to leave with mom to go out to eat.


We went to the ‘Breakfast & brunch inn’. The bar table was empty, but there was one family who sat in a booth near the corner of the restaurant.

“Um, Mom? You wanted to talk to me about something?” I got my food and sat down at one of the middle tables. I watched mom get her food and sit down next to me.

“Yes I do honey… And I want to know what you think about it; in a month, I will be getting married. Then we’ll be moving.” Mom’s voice trailed off. I didn’t know what to say. It was hard to look for the right words to say. But I managed.

“W-who’s the lucky fella?” I asked, doing my best to make my tone sound encouraging.

“His name is Jason. He’s from Utah, and he’s so cute!!”—Her voice was uplifting when she described him to me. —“He works for a big Business and he has one son.”

“So I’ll have a little step brother right?”

“Yeah, he’s a little younger than you but he looks just like his father!” Mom sounded really happy about this guy, Jason… I took several bites of my bagel before I spoke again. I looked around the shop for the restrooms.

“Hey mom. I’ll be right back, I have to use the bathroom.” I got up from my seat—Pushing it in to be polite—and “Fast walked” to the bathroom. A woman had opened the door just in time for me to sneak through. There were two stalls open at the far right. I moved into the cramped, first stall and latched it shut behind me. When I got in, I grabbed the one of the two notes out of my pocket. But this time when I opened it, it said something on the bottom of the page.

Listen to your mom. Be closer to me…Missy…

Be closer to him? What was that suppose to mean? Then, mom’s conversation came into mind.
“I am going to be getting married, His name is Jason…” Was I really supposed to like the idea of my mother marrying a man than seems like she found him from a fairytale? It was a fairytale that seemed to have a sour ending if things didn’t plan out smoothly. But I couldn’t stop it from happening.
I shoved the note in my pocket and quickly unlocked the stall door. Noticing I had a short line. It was the two girls from the family in the corner of the restaurant. They stared at me like I had something wrong with me. I tried to pretend I didn’t see them. I opened the door out to see mom sitting at the table. It didn’t even look like she flinched from how I saw her when I left the table. She moved, looking up at me.

“Honey, I’m done with my food, are you ready to leave?”

“Y-yeah, I’m ready to leave I guess. Were you planning on going anywhere after this or are we going straight home?” Without another word we left the restaurant. Mom took the long way home.
We pulled into the driveway and I got out as soon as the cars wheels stopped moving. Reaching the door within seconds I opened it and walked inside the house. Everything was just how we left it. I took a quick sigh before running up the stairs to the comfort of my room. Not so much comfort was brought though.
I stopped dead in my tracks. My room was very dark and weary. The only light that glowed bright in the room was two bright, white eyes. They were staring me down. Do I say anything? I thought to myself. The eyes in front of me were suddenly gone, but not for long. I felt the presence of his eyes staring at my from behind now. His breathing was subtle but heavy against my ear. One of his hands reached out and was placed on the top of my head. It made my hairs on my arm stand on end. My whole body shivered, I was cold. He gently turned my head. A light shined down on a piece of paper.

I am not here to hurt you Missy… Turn around to face me…

I did as the note said. I turned around to face the white eyes.

“Can…can’t you talk to me?” I saw the figure of his hand move back to the note.

No…I can’t. I can only communicate to you through notes. Missy… That’s why I need you…

I carefully read the note. At the end of the note were it said ‘you’. The word glowed a bright gold color. Suddenly my blinds flew open. Showing a gorgeous full moon. It was the same color as the man’s eyes. His other hand had been placed on my shoulder. All of my fears seemed to fade from my mind. My body felt at ease. Questions began to flow through my mind at the same time. There were so many questions now I had to ask, but I new that not all of them could be answered, at least not now.

“Y-you…Need me? But why can’t you talk?” He turned my head back to the note.

You have something I want. Something I need… and why I can’t talk is because I am under a spell, which is exactly why I need you… Missy…

He had such neat, cursive handwriting. I couldn’t help but reach out to the hand on my shoulder. I was almost to his fingertips when I saw the note change again.

Don’t touch my hand; I might burn your fingers. I’d rather not take a chance on hurting you.

“I…I don’t think you’ll hurt me…” I felt so confident about him for some reason. So I reached out more and touched his fingers. There was no burning at all. It actually felt sort of nice. “See, I’m fine.” I said. A grin was rising on my face. I looked back at the note to see if he said anything.

That’s strange, Missy… Normally when a human touches my hand, they begin to burn.

“O-oh, well… Then why didn’t you burn me?” I saw the note change again shortly after I spoke.

I have no idea… hmmm….

“Hey, I don’t even know your name. May you tell me your name please?” I don’t think I could have asked him any politer than I already did.

Heh-…Yes. My name is Nathan.

I smiled at his name. It sounded like a good name for him. I felt his chin lean in against my ear. My heart began to pound faster within the cage of my chest. The blood flushed down from my face. I forced my eyes to look at the note once more.

Don’t be afraid of me, I could never hurt you…Missy…

His nose touched my cartilage ever so gently. It brought a chill to travel up my spine.

“T-there are so many…things I want to know about you.” I managed to choke out. Whatever made me say that was beyond me. But then I found and felt his left hand just barely touched, slid down my left arm. He softly grabbed my hand. My eyes stayed focused on the note.

If I begin to hurt you, just raise your hand to tell me to stop. I will let you know about me. I’ll share my memories with you…Missy…

The floor creaked when he walked away. He saw me nod in agreement towards what was written in his note. Nathan picked up my hand and brushed it against his cheekbone, his jawbone, and then outlining his mouth. It was so warm. His open mouth; a sharp tooth cut the top of my hand open. I winced a little and looked back at the paper to see if he said anything else. Of coarse he did.

I’m not hurting you, am I?

“N-no, Nathan.” I finally replied. I was trying to be quiet so mom couldn’t suspect anything. Though, I still had my eyes on the note. Being able to smell, Hear and feel my blood dripping to the floor from my hand. I looked out of the corner of my eye to visualize that Nathans once pure white, creamy eyes had turned a piercing crimson. They were the same color as the blood that still drops to the floor in silent thuds. I couldn’t feel any pain at all anymore.
Nathan began to drink the blood from my hand. His memories began to sink into my mind. Like I was living his life—up to now—in hyper mode. First, I saw him as a small boy; he looked to be about seven or eight. He had a mother, and a father. He even had an older sister and a younger brother. So it would be smart to say that he was the middle child.
Next, his memories showed me that his father left his mother to join the army, to fight in world war one. But he failed in one of his missions, dying in the process. His older sister was forsaken, she had fled her home when she found out her father had died. And then, Nathans memories took me to his older sisters funeral. Several days after His sister fled, She could not find a place to live, nor could she find food. She died of starvation. A group of hunters found her under a pile of leaves. These memories, I could tell, hurt Axel very much.
Axel only had his mother left with him now…

“T-that’s terrible…” Somehow I was able to talk throughout this. He had stopped drinking the blood from my hand. When he realized I was still searching through his memories. His memories had brought me to after his mother passed away of cancer.
It seemed to me that what these thought out to be, memories, were more like nightmares. Millions of little nightmares all brought together throughout his life. My eyes traveled down to the note, putting his memories aside.

If my memories frighten you…then you don’t have to watch the rest.

“N-no!” My arms jolted, grasping around his waist. The rest of his memories flow threw my head. But still I can read his note.

Aren’t they hurting you at all? M-Missy…? You… hugged me…

Nathan looked down at me, watching my facial expressions. Somehow he knew that I felt his heart ache. I focused on his past again.
His hands, now clung semi-tight around my hands, had me let go of him. I studied his movements. He walked towards the window, to stand in front of the glistening moon that shown through. Nathans skin was very pale, so pale that he looked sick. His stance was sculptured perfect. Like something Leonardo Devinchie would have created. He grew fangs, really long fangs. They projected out from under his top lip. He looked immortal. He looked like a vampire…

What do you think…Melissa?

He used me real name in his writing. I looked up at his eyes for a slight moment. Worry and fear had crossed them. I then heard my mom walk up the stairs.

“Honey, are you alright in there? You’re awfully quiet.”

“Err…M-my Mom!” I turned my attention to my door, and then quickly looked at the note.

Missy…I will hide while you deal with your mother…

“W-wait!”— I said in a loud whisper—“Will I see you again?”

Yes…I Guarantee you, you will see me again.

He handed me a note pad. It looked like an ordinary note pad also.

Use this to talk to me if I’m ever away and I will reply.

“A-alright…Nathan.” As soon as I said that, he was gone. I heard mom’s voice in the background. She turned on my bedroom light.

“Hey Melissa. Is something the matter? Are you talking to yourself in here?” She asked, dumbfounded at what I had been doing. I shook my head, replying ‘no’. Mom just shrugged. “Oh well, it’s getting late. You should try and get some sleep.” She slowly shut the door behind her. I listened to her walk down the stairs. As soon as this happened, I felt myself drop back, landing on something soft, something warm. I passed out.





I sat up in my bed, to look out the window. I kept trying to remember everything that happened last night. It was so hard to remember though. Seconds later, I could remember everything. It was like a really bad migraine that you just can’t get rid of, even if you do take medication for it. I saw his memories, the full moon, and my blood.
The clock said ‘7:20 am’. A yawn erupted from my lungs. Lazily, I turned my head to see that Nathans note pad—the one he gave me last night—was still sitting on my bedside table. After time passed—its 7:35 now—I staggered out of bed and picked up the note pad, with a pen that lay parallel to it. When I walked back to my bed I set most of the pillows against the wall for back support. I sat down, leaning against the pillows, and folding my knees so I had something to support the note pad. I started writing.


Nathan, are you there?

I watched the paper, waiting for writing. Sure enough he wrote back. My heart seemed to scream ‘Yes!’, when he replied.

Yes, Missy. I will always be here for you.
You know it’s so unfair.
What’s unfair?
You have such better, more legible handwriting than I do.
Oh—Hah! I see. Well I have had time to practice writing in cursive.
I’m not too big on writing in cursive.
Heh—Heh, and again…I see.
Axel…
Yes…Missy.
When will I see you again?
I…I don’t know…

I sighed. I really hadn’t my hopes up for seeing Axel again. My eyes were fixed on our conversation.

But I’ll do my best to come and see you. I promise Missy…

I couldn’t help myself, I hugged the note pad, and just like I did the last time I saw him. This time though, I closed my eyes, taking another sigh of relief. Something told me that the note was changing. My chest felt like there was something poking at it, feeling like something was writing, like a pen.

Hey…You—you’re hugging me again…

That caught me off guard. I was hugging him? It was the note pad, not him. I just stared at it, for what felt like the longest moment of my life. I had to keep talking to him thought. It became an addiction to me.

Tonight?
Huh?
Will I see you tonight?
Yeah…Tonight…
Thank you!

Because he said that, I hugged the note pad again. I wonder what he thought about me ‘hugging him’—When technically its not really him it’s the note pad. But somehow it felt like I could feel his hand touch my face, my heart. It was like he was trying to heal me. My cheeks became a little pink at the thought.
I lay in bed now, still hugging into the note pad. I controlled my hand to grab my blankets, bringing them over my body, until it reached my collarbones. I still hug onto the note pad. I felt the note change again.

Um. Missy…?
Yes, Nathan?


It took him a minute or two to reply for some strange reason. It confused me but I thought nothing of it.

U-um, Never mind…
A-alright…oh hey…Can’t Vampires come out of hiding if a room is completely dark?
Yeah… Why—Ohh. I see what you’re going to do. Good thinking.

As soon as I thought of what to do, I got out of bed, shutting my blinds, turning off every light possible. I even pined my blankets in front of the blinds so that none of the sunlight could get threw the cracks. I blocked all traces of any light from getting through to my room. When I turned around I saw Nathan, his white eyes staring me down like the night before. My adrenalin began to rush; pulse through my skin. I looked at my hand that had been scared from him—he had cut it open to drink my blood. I smiled, even though I was half nervous, I stared over at the note.

I can only be seen at night or in the dark.

Of coarse, that was one of the reasons why he left last night. It was because she knew the sun was going to rise soon. He didn’t want to get caught in it by accident.

“Oh… I see.” I wrapped my arms around him. Then looked over at the Note pad.

You are always hugging me…Missy…

“Well yeah.” –I smiled. —“ You’re a nice guy to hug.”

N--…Nice guy…?


“Yes! Very nice.” His hands; arms wrapped around my body.

Thank you…Missy…

Even though I had seen his past, his memories were now engraved in my mind for as long as I live. As lone as I live… Unlike Nathan, I have a shorter life; I only have once chance at it, right?

What are you thinking about, Missy…?

“I…I want to see, y-your face.” I looked up at his silhouette. “ I want to…know what you look like.”

I… have never shown anyone my face before… So… I…I don’t know…

My voice became dull, and so did my mood. “P-please…” I tried to stay quiet to mom didn’t hear my conversation

Tomorrow at school, you will see the “Human” Me, I promise you…

“O-oh… Alright.” I grinned at him, watching the note change again.

Hey, your mom won’t get mad if I take you somewhere, would she?

Take me somewhere? Isn’t it still light out? I way him walk to the binds, and the extra blankets, to revile the moon again.

“The moon… it’s so…. so pretty…” I walked closer to Nathan, hugging onto his arms. Nathan looked down at me, and I could sense that he was. But I was to Fascinated with the moon. It was big, and full. I opened my window just enough so I could step out onto the roof, overlooking the dark ocean. During the day, I had never really paid attention to things like this. I had so many other things going on. At this moment though, it felt like the whole world had stopped for me. While the moon stayed with me to keep me company.
There was a slight breeze that passed by on occasion. I could feel Nathans eyes staring at me still, but now with worry of what I might do next. He became a little protective; he couldn’t force those emotions to stay hidden behind his white, glass-like orbs forever. Nathan watched closer to me, grabbing my hand with ease. My mind was falling away from me. It felt like I was not myself anymore.

“Nathan…If I jump… Will you catch me at the bottom?” I asked. The shining white dots in my eyes had disappeared. They grew darker in color; they even had a blue glow to them. The note changed again.

Melissa Don’t you dare Jump!

Before my toes touched the tips— so I could lean forward—Nathan was there in front of me. He grasped onto my shoulders, lifting up one hand to lean his palm to my forehead. The warmth of my forehead made Nathans hand burn, something about that made his hand snap back. The sparkle reappeared in my eyes.

“Oh Nathan!” I jolted back into my room, sat us both down on my bed. Nathan looked at my eyes, noticing I was back to normal. “ I am so sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you!” I set the top of his hand on my shoulder, looking at the burn. I blinked once, and then leaned in to kiss his wound. The stream of tears had stopped after the kiss to his hand. When I looked at Nathan, I accidentally let a few more tears escape my eyes.

Hey—Hey… Missy, you don’t need to cry over it. I’m perfectly fine. See?
He looked at my teardrops that landed on his wound, and those tears healed him.

“A-alright.”—Sniff—“I’ll stop crying. Its just that, I don’t want to hurt you…”

Missy, you won’t hurt me. I promise you. But what happened to you earlier, even. I don’t know what happened to you, your eyes looked like they were being possessed by something.

Possessed by something? I had no memory of it all.

“ I have no Idea Nathan, but what did I do?” I crawled over to where he was sitting on the bed—which was not far away because I was holding his hand. I curled up—kind of like a cat—and slowly drifted off to sleep. I hoped that he would stay with me like this forever.
© Copyright 2008 Hina Slone (melissa_slone1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1504430-Innocent-blood--Chapter-1