*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1504435-innocent-blood-chapter-3
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Drama · #1504435
Chapter three: Catnip
Days, even weeks went by surprisingly. My schoolwork had improved—thanks to Nathan -- and my teachers are “ very proud of me”.
I still had a question about “getting his voice back.” I thought something would have happened by now, but apparently I had thought to soon, because Nathan was in thought all day. I finally got him to talk to me around noon.

“Nathan, what’s up? Is something wrong?” I asked, even though I knew something was wrong. His facial expressions were easy to read. I watched, and finally the not pad changed.

Missy…

Missy? “Missy”, was all he had to say. Well that really helped me out! I thought to myself.

It’s…kind of hard to explain but…

He handed me the newspaper. The one I had got in the mail last Sunday.

“What about it?” I watched him point to an article on the front page. Nathan handed it to me.

Read it…

I looked at the title of the article.




Disaster in Port-Smith… By: Shannon Waters.

Earlier today, at approximately seven thirty am, five hundred people had been killed. Oddly enough, there has been no evidence found among the dead, innocent victims. Is there a serial killer on Port-Smith’s hands? Or is this the beginning, or a sign that a major war has started in the U.S. If you or anyone else witnessed this horrible tragedy, please call this number: 1-800-375-9984. We would greatly appreciate your cooperation.


That’s how the article ended. It had me shaking. I was frightened. Five hundred people, and this was all at seven thirty! I slowly turned around to stare at Nathan.

See…It’s a scary world when you know a vampire…

“But, what does this –” I stopped myself to think. Then it dawned on me. I whispered. “ Was that killing caused…by a- a vampire?” My voice was shaky.

Yeah. He must have been really powerful to kill five hundred people in one swing.

“It’s a he? How do you know?”

Because I only know one vampire that is that capable of killing so many people. His name would be William, if I am correct.

“William, huh… And what to you mean by ‘if I am correct’?”

Well, William likes to change his names a lot. His names have been, Tyler, Jake, Tim, Justin, Mathew… The list is endless…

Nathan appeared to be thinking of other names.

He’s even had the name Bob and Fred once – such stupid names I know. —He’s hand Zack, Terri—which now is a guy’s name now too, weird…

“Whoa, and how do you remember all those names?”

Simple!

He picked up the note pad, then gave a stupid-looking grin, but for some reason I wasn’t in a happy mood. I felt like taking a catnap. I sat down on my bed, looking out the window. Nathan dropped his grin and looked at me now with concern.

Is something wrong Melissa?

There he goes again. He used me real name again. I didn’t feel like answering him; so all I did was nod. I heard him walk towards the bed and next he was sitting right behind me.

Please, Talk to me Melissa…

I just, gently hugged him. He hugged me back.

“I’m just tired, that’s all.” I whispered, looking up at him. I really sought to know what he was thinking. His white eyes stared me down, like he was looking for something in my eyes. O couldn’t look away. For some reason, it was unbreakable to shift them. It was like if I looked away, I was going to miss something really big. I felt something budge, his hand. Still keeping me locked in his eyes.
There was something about him—His eyes—that I wanted to know more about, to solve a new mystery about him. It was almost encouraging. My heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest. A knot twisted in my throat, kept me from speaking. The room seemed to be getting darker. Had the moon gone behind a gray cloud? Maybe…

“N-Nathan…” I managed to whisper. His stare still held locked in place; his hand glided now from the side of my head to my cheekbone.

Melissa…I…

He what? He what?! That question now soared through my brain, through my heart.

I’m thirsty….

Thirsty? Then it clicked. He wanted blood… Human blood. I couldn’t and didn’t want to say no. I tilted my head aside, showing the skin to him.

You’d really let me do this? Thank you…Melissa.

He leaded in closer to me. Nathans breath warmed my neck. I felt his nose, and then his heated lips against by bear skin. My hand had moved up to his back, clinging, griping against him. Nathans sharp teeth sank smoothly into my skin. I began to feel like a juice pouch that a kid drank without using a straw. My blood drained from my body, slowly. His hand engrossed the back of my head.

“Na-…”—it seemed as if he took one big gulp—“than.” I finished saying his name. As soon as I said it, he retracted his teeth from my neck. Nathans eyes, like two moons, shined bright within the dark room. His teeth were dripping with my blood. I could only look at his eyes. They were so intense… Nathan licked the rest of my blood from his pallid, sharp fangs.

I’m sorry…did I go overboard again?

“N-no, you didn’t. I um…” My voice washed out. I was too self-conscious to say the rest.

You what?

He gave me a little smile, wish made my cheeks turn pink.

“It—“ – I felt the bite marks on my neck—“ Felt good.” I finally said. Still humiliated, my cheeks turn a darker shade of pink. I thought I saw Nathans cheeks flush too, but he hid it well in the dark.

You truly mean that? You’re telling me that you’re not a little creeped out that a vampire just sucked your blood?

He grimaced, but I think he knew my answer.

“No, not really.” I grinned, still holding onto the bite marks on my neck. He held my other hand that lay on my bed beside my lap. Honestly, He didn’t scare me; not at all, I had only known him for a month or so, and I was already comfortable with him. It still felt like my heart was about to burst out from tenseness. Nathans hand squeezed tight on my hand.

You’re eyes are blue again Melissa… they’re glowing…

He had a mirror in his hands. Bringing it to my face, I looked at my likeness.

“W-what am I?” I thought out loud. I felt my body move into his. Nathan hugged me.

Don’t think anything’s wrong with you! You got it?

Nathans face became more somber. His body was still close to mine; I sighed. Saying ‘yes’ in my head. The mirror now lay on the bed. I could just barely see my eyes in it. But it looked like my eyes were back to normal. What was there for me to say? What could mend something? This wasn’t something you could just put a band-aid on and call it good. Suddenly, it was like my body was acting on it’s own. My hands wound around his waist. My nose buried in his neck. The tenderness of my breath caressed the back of his neck, making him jump a little.

M-Melissa…be closer to me…

Wow, be closer to him? Wasn’t I already close enough to him? And what was happening anyway? He was acting different. Maybe it was because of my blood.
I felt a chill climb up my back. I had a feeling; at the end of this night my life would be changing. Having yet to know for the better or worse, and I wasn’t ready to find out. I felt my body weight being added onto. He was gently laying me down on the bed.

You should get some rest for tomorrow, Missy…Its getting late.

I was really in no mood to sleep. Nathans nose rubbed under my jaw. I could feel my cheeks turn its scarlet red color; he smirked. His breath traveled to my skin on contact. I was afraid that if I talked I was going to ruin the moment. Now, his warm lips barely dragged along my neck. Nathans tongue the bite marks. It made me shiver.

You smell good, but you taste even better…!

He wittingly breathed on my neck again. What is he doing? I thought to myself. I looked out the window to see the moon, full as full could get. Maybe if I closed my eyes, and the opened them again. Could I be dreaming about this?

I’m sorry Melissa, but I can’t help myself, you just taste to good…


Even after he said that, I wasn’t afraid, I wasn’t scared. That thought didn’t even pass my mind. He could feel my hear beat through my chest, my pulse from my neck. His mouth still pressed against my skin.
I felt sleepy, but I was trying my hardest to stay awake. If I fell asleep, would a night like this ever happen again? That’s what I was afraid of.

You’re awfully quiet, what’s wrong Melissa? Are you tired? Or do you not feel well?

Nathan looked up at me. When I realized or faces were closer that I had thought they were. He moved so that he lay next to me now. I turned to face him. His left hand traced the line of my jaw. To keep myself awake, I decided to ask him some of the many questions I had to ask.

“Um, Nathan?”

Yes? What is it Melissa?

“What makes my blood different from everyone elses to you?” I don’t know where I thought of that question, but it was defiantly a good one to ask.

Well, it’s kinds hard to explain…really…Lets see hoe I can put it.. Like, when you’re looking for flowers there are so many flowers to pick from. They all have different sent to them too. But there’s one flower’s sent that stands out to you.

“A-and you...found your flower?” I said, it sounded sort of awkward thinking of it like that, but at the same time I got what he was trying to say. “That’s a good way to put it.” I grinned.

“So what flower am I?”

Hmmm, well lets see now. You’re hair always smells like the ocean mist. You’re body smells like cotton candy, or strawberries. And your blood smells and tastes like nectar to a bee. So you’re a…. tear flower…

Was there even such a thing as a tear flower? But, only Nathan would know about this. He smiled, warm-heartedly. He acted so kind to me. Which he didn’t need to be. It was very flattering. It was like I was a princess, or a queen.

“You know Nathan, you’re a very kind-hearted person.”

Person…Before I said ‘person’ his eyes became cold. He thought I was going to say ‘Monster’ or ‘bloodsucker’.

You…. you really mean that? Melissa…

“Yes of course I mean it Nathan Why wouldn’t I? You’ve been so nice to me…”

All he did was stare at me in awe as I kept talking.

“And no, I don’t think you’re a monster. Monsters don’t have nice hearts”—I broke my words to chuckle—“ Nathan you know, I always want to know what you’re thinking. Because I always want to help you when you’re sad or frustrated…
“I’ve never felt this way about anyone besides my mother.” -–obviously—”…Nathan, you’re like my catnip. – I always want it.” I debated on whether I should say it, but I did.
“I’m addicted to you, your sent too.” I fiercely blushed, but I still smiled.

Melissa…

He just stared at me. ‘You’re my catnip’ flew throughout my head. It seemed like everything I had to think of had to do something with a cat.

I…I’m speechless….

Out of all that I smiled. His face lit up red, like a stoplight. But we both knew he couldn’t hide it. It was too clear for his pail fair skin… The hours went by, and I was still holding back the urge to fall asleep. It was Difficult though. It was getting late, but I didn’t want to seal my eyes.

Missy… Get some rest. I’ll be here when you wake up. I’m not leaving your side.

Nathan assured me with a smile. Just to make sure he stayed put, I wrapped my arms around his stone hard waist. Burning my face in his chest. A soft sigh came from my lungs as I finally closed my eyes. No more than seconds went by and I was already sleeping.




The next morning had come quicker than I had thought. Luckily, it was a Sunday so I could take my time getting out of bed. I rubbed my eyes with my fist. Trying to focus my view on what was around me.


Good morning Melissa.

Nathan greeted me with a warm smile. Which was very nice to wake up to. When I came in contact with his pearl colored eyes. They seemed different.

“Are you thirsty already?” I asked, somewhat teasing him.

Not really, I don’t need blood for a long while.

He took a quick glance over to the clock.

Shouldn’t you be getting up? It’s almost nine thirty.

“Nah—I don’t really feel like getting up at the moment.”--I gave a short giggle—“ Maybe in a little bit.”

I had them just noticed that he had changed into a clean outfit. But I never mentioned it. I was too tired, to lazy to think of or do anything. I heard a knock on my door. It was my mom.

“Oh crap!” I whispered loudly. Turning to face Nathan, but he was already gone. He was quick… Instead of him there, the note pad lay on the floor. My mom knocked again.

“Honey! Guess what! I have to tell you something!” She sounded happy. Even though my door muffled her tone. I got up from my bed and grabbed the note pad.

I could sense you’re mom coming while you’re with your mom I decided to go hunting. I’ll see you in a little while Melissa.

My door finally opened, my mother standing in the door frame. Her face made a red like across her cheekbones and colored the top of her nose a little. I assumed it had to do with Jason.

“Honey! Guess what!” She seemed and acted like she was in her teens again. Whenever she talked about Jason her face, her eyes even her personality lit up like she was a whole new person.

“It’s about Jason, right?” That was all I wanted to say.

“Yes! Missy, Wow. You’re a good guesser!” She walked into my room a little more, watching me grab a pen and then sit back down on my bed. “We’re going to meet him at Denny’s at noon.”

I looked at the clock. It was already Nine Fifty-three. So I still had some time to kill.

“That’s good mom!” I tried to sound as happy as her. “Am I coming too?” –Stupid question, yes I know...

“Of coarse, honey. You haven’t met him yet. And I want you to meet him! I’m going to leave you in privacy to you can get ready.” Before I could say something, mom had fled my room. All I did was blink. When I looked back at the window, Nathan was standing there. He halfway scared me. But I was trying not to make it appear that way.

Who’s Jason?

“He’s my mothers’ boyfriend.” I said in monotone, not so very thrilled.

Oh, I see. Hey, Maybe you could ask your mom if a good friend could tag along.

He smiled big. I remembered him saying something about hunting.

“Didn’t you say you were going to be hunting while I was with mom?”

Well that was my original option, unless, you really want me to go hunting…

“No! No…” –I blushed—“ Um, I want you to come with me.” Quickly spitting out words. I got up from my bed again, walking into my walk-in closet. I looked for a nice set of clothes to wear to meet moms’ boyfriend. I wasn’t happy about it, but I figured to make it look like I did.

Why aren’t you happy to go visit Jason?

I didn’t answer him. It was pointless to say anything. I didn’t even know Jason. Fearful emotions ran between every thought. My eyes took me to my clock. Time had a funny way of going faster when you just wanted time to top. Unfortunately I couldn’t ask Nathan to do that for me. Nathan looked at me like he knew why; He sat next to me. His hand touched my shoulder.

You know you are sitting on your table in your closet?

My thought took me out of my room. It was like I went to another world But Nathans hand to my shoulder snapped me out of it.

“O-oh sorry. I was just thinking about something.” I looked at him with a blank stare.
It’s almost time to go see Jason.

He looked at me worried when I didn’t reply.

Melissa, is something wrong? You’re being way to quiet and you’re face is loosing it’s color.

My hand reached out to touch his. Nathan could tell I was very deep in thought. Thinking of what to do, he leaned in toward my neck. Hugging my skin with his lips. His Teeth slid into my skin and that woke e up from my thought. I could feel my body loosing blood. Not big amounts but enough that I could feel myself weaken.

“Na-than…” I let out, barley speaking in a whisper. As soon as he heard my voice he detracted his teeth from the depth of my skin.

I finally got your attention. Melissa, you’re starting to worry my. What’s the matter?

I never got to ask him. Minutes before I stared talking, he was gone and mom was in my room. She now leaned against the door frame into my closet.

“Honey, you’re still in your pajamas. You only have ten minutes and then we meet Jason!” She smiled saying his name. I nodded watching her walk away and latch my bedroom door shit. Nathan appeared again. This time, holding another set of clothes; a simple pair of dark denim jeans and a black tank top. It said “Angel” across the chest. On the back it had a pair of angel wings with small details. I gave him a quick smile before relieving him of holding my clothes. He waited in my room while I finished getting dressed. I finished changing quicker than I thought and I was suddenly in a rush with my make up.

“Missy! Lets go! We’re going to be late!” Mom hollered from downstairs. My socks and shoes were all ready on and I was ready to go. I grabbed the note pad and a pen.

I’ll see you at the restaurant. Denny’s right?

“Yeah.”—I smiled. —“ I’ll see you there.” I quickly hugged him, opening my door and ran downstairs.

“Lets go Melissa.”

“Oh, Hey mom. You don’t mind if one of my friends comes to do you? He said he’d meet me at Denny’s”

“Oh! Who’s the Lucky fella?” Mom had to say that.

“Moooom! Lets just go.” My voice dragged on, annoyed. Now all I had in front of me , was to meet Jason… The only thing that comforted me was that Nathan was going to be there with me.
© Copyright 2008 Hina Slone (melissa_slone1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1504435-innocent-blood-chapter-3