*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1504950-Gratitude
Rated: E · Other · Spiritual · #1504950
Its easy to overlook what has been right in front of us all the time.
I want to share with you how I came to fully appreciate the meaning behind this word. 

My happiness was always tied to some future event.  I will be happy when___________. The space after the word  when would be filled with whatever I thought would make me happy when I got it. 

I took a temporary position at a retail store this holiday season.  This is a store that I spend where I spend a lot of money, so I thought this year I would apply so I could receive the employee discount. Believe me; it was not for the money. Retail stores are not known for paying high salaries at least not the temporary holiday staff.  Anyway, I went to orientation.  At orientation, you complete the majority of your training on a computer. It was painful to sit in front of a computer for such a long time. During one of my many self scheduled breaks, I met a woman.  She is a single mother with children.  I was bragging about how much I loved my full time job, only came for the discount, and I could leave any time I felt like it. I was going on and on and on.  I must admit, I coming off like a jerk. She looked at me and said you are so lucky. How so? I asked her.  She explained that she signed up to work full time. You see, she was victim of the economy and lost her job. She was hoping to make enough to buy her kids Christmas presents and pay her rent and make it to the New Year.  Well, there's a word that comes to mind that describes how I felt. It begins with a S and ends with a T. I'm sure you know what the other 2 letters are.  Decorum prevents me from saying the word outright.

She left and went inside. 

I stayed out for a little longer contemplating what had just happened.  I was pacing back and forth.  I couldn't imagine someone would think that I'm lucky.  Me lucky?  Imagine that. I never considered myself lucky. It was mind blowing to me. I started thinking about all the things I thought I needed to make me happy; a better car, more money, a house of my own and more money. (Yes, I repeated it on purpose)    Then I thought again about what she said. I slowly began to realize all the things I do have, a wonderful job, a place to call home, the ability to provide for my family. As these thoughts were going through my head this feeling came over me, I started to feel, well, grateful. What I am is blessed and grateful. I have been so busy waiting for the when that I didn't see the right now.  Then it stuck me like a lightening bolt- instead of focusing on being happy and grateful at some future date, the when,  I HAVE plenty to be happy and grateful for now.  Right now. 

There is a universal law called the Law of Gratitude that says something to the effect that when you show gratitude for the now, meaning the things that are right in front of you, only then  you will be given more  to be grateful for.

This message was reinforced the day when I met this woman.

My words to you are Happy NOW not WHEN.  You won't be happy when if you're not happy NOW.
© Copyright 2008 Determined (vanmax10 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1504950-Gratitude