*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1506703-Name
by layne
Rated: E · Other · Opinion · #1506703
A short essay about my thoughts on names.
Name is a very important word. Every person has a name. Every animal, every object, every thing has a name. If something doesn’t have a name, human beings are very quick to name it. It gives a sense of identity. It gives quick explanation.
         Names have been around forever. It’s a way that humans identify things. I have a name. It’s easy to refer to me because you know my name. You say my name and instantly everyone in the room knows to whom you refer.
         I have an uncommon name. I am not a very common person. I tend to think outside the box. I like things that are not so common and I generally don’t follow trends. Stereotype with me for a minute. Think of all the people that you know that are named John. Are they normal? Do you associate that name with being boring or ordinary? It is because people that are named John are unexciting? Or is it because you hear the name so often you make such an association?
         Can a persons life be affected by their name? Let’s analyze a situation. A girl is named Mary. Mary is a very special name to most of humanity. It was the mother of Jesus Christ. This name is associated with purity, cleanliness and perfection. When I think of this name, that’s immediately what comes to my mind. When you associate something, you tend to act and treat people differently. What about the name Judas? To adults, this name is associated with betrayal. Do you hear of children being named Judas all that often? Yes there are a few, but why is this name not popular?
         Recently in the presidential election, Hillary Clinton, while running against Barack Obama, began an association tactic. As she referred to her opponent, she emphasized his middle name. Hussein. Why would she do this? What meaning does this name have? To americans it is associated with a terrorist that has caused a lot of heartache and pain. This is a very powerful association.
         What if you named your child Sadaam. What would his life be like? Would he be teased, tortured and treated like a terrorist? What if you named your child Ozzy? Would he grow up to be a drug addict-rock star?
         There is a song called “A Boy Named Sue,” by Johny Cash. He sings about a father that named his son sue because it would turn him into a tough man. Why? Children tease and make fun. He would have to learn quickly to fend for himself; Stand up for his name and be proud of it.
         What would the life of a person be like if his name was Jesus? It may be different in other languages, but in English, do you know a Jesus? Would he be raised up as king? Or would he be spit upon by those that do not believe. I submit that his life would not be easy, but very difficult.
         When someone says the name of your spouse, whether referring to him/her or not, what pops into your head? When someone says the name of a person that has truly affected your life, perhaps changed it completely, what feeling to you get inside of you?
         My name is Layne. It is not a common name. When people are talking, and they say my name, there is a very good chance that they are referring to me. Because of this I am unique. It does not matter how I act or what I do, I am a unique person. I am treated that way because that’s the association with my name.
         When you are with a group of friends, and the name John comes up, or some other common name, you may be confused because that is a common name. You might not know which John to think about or which John to associate with that name. This causes blandness in a person when they think that they are just another John in the world.
         Whether you like it or not, I have stated that because of your name, your life has been impacted. If I was named something very common, would I be the same person that I am today? I say no. It can be said that there is nothing in a name. I say this is false.

What do you think?
© Copyright 2008 layne (laynemoseley at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1506703-Name