*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1506705-Pleasure
by layne
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1506705
A thought about pleasure and happiness
Humans seek pleasure in life to momentarily suspend thought of the inadequate state in which they live.
         Pleasure is sought to nullify pain, heartache and suffering. The problem with this implausible approach is that it does not last. Gratification is found for a moment and then passes quickly. There are feelings that thrill, excite and satisfy for but an instant.
         People seek happiness. They try to find is in numerous ways. Most of those ways involve some type of pleasure or excitement. What good does this do? Does it actually bring happiness?
         Happiness and pleasure are not interchangeable. True happiness lasts longer than a moment. Therefore pleasure does not bring happiness. It is not a solution to the problem.
         Intentions can be righteous while searching for happiness. We try to find that cure for our sorrows because we don’t want to be unhappy.
         The problem with using pleasure to find happiness is that it usually turns into addiction. We find a momentary pleasure and, in that instant, we think we have found happiness. We are on a higher plane, we forget about our troubles and all is well. We then step off that plane and come back to reality. Naturally we have desire to return to something better, why wouldn’t we? We seek that quick fix or thrill because it is something better in that moment.
         Then comes the downfall. We go back to that pleasurable stimulation that we have found and repeat. Why not? It makes sense doesn’t it? Why live down low when we can be up higher? Our body and mind together prefer this transient excitement. After all, it’s better than anything else, isn’t it?
         We begin to prefer this over anything else. We begin to dwell on it. It can’t last forever, so our minds obsess over it or something even more thrilling.
         Before we realize what has happened, we think about nothing else. We want those sparse moments of brief amusement more and more. Soon we cannot live without them. We are addicted to something that will never be enough.
         We seek this because there seems to be nothing else. The world is full of small pleasures. They are leading to the downfall of all that are seduced by such small, insignificant fantasies.
         It is never enough. Those that have been caught in this trap and survived will testify that it never has and never will suffice.
         There must be another way to find satisfaction with life! Or are we doomed to this displeasing existence?
         Have you ever met someone that is just happy? They have a sparkle in their eyes. You can see it in their face. They never indulge or take things too seriously. They are productive and unselfish. They enjoy life for what it is and nothing more.
         Their secret is they have found something more than pleasure. They have found true happiness.
© Copyright 2008 layne (laynemoseley at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1506705-Pleasure