*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1508117-Undercover-Information-Guy
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1508117
A true story about an afternoon at the airport. (Flash Fiction)
Yesterday I found myself pursuing an all too familiar activity, scouting out an airport seating area in hopes of finding an outlet for my laptop. Suited clusters of business travelers identified the most accessible outlets in much the same way a palm grove indicates a water source in the desert.

There are all types of power scavengers. There are the gentler souls that take no more than they need before relinquishing the prized socket to a lurking laptop. At the other end of the spectrum are the homesteaders. They plug in every appliance they have and never move until their plane is starting to board, even if they already have full charges. I once saw a homesteader plug in an electric toothbrush just to keep the outlet off the market in case he found something he might need to plug in later.

Yesterday, I came across the business traveler equivalent of a royal flush. An information booth had been left unattended. Walking around behind the desk I found not only power but a nice soft seat. With a nonchalant swing of my head, I determined that no one was paying me any mind. I moved in as if I owned the place. I was up and online in no time at all.

That was when my first customer showed up.

An elderly woman needed help finding her gate. What could I say? There was a giant information sign hanging over my head. I quickly got her headed in the right direction. By now, a line had started to form at my desk. I spent the next hour locating gates and bathrooms while telling smokers to go outside. No one ever knew the truth. It was my secret and it was the most fun I have had in a long time.

Word count 300
© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1508117-Undercover-Information-Guy