*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1508395-Last-Gift
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1508395
A little girl gets her Christmas wish granted. (Flash Fiction)
Katie woke up to the sound of hooves clomping down the hallway. They were clearly coming closer and as they did, she found that she could just make out the slight tinkling of bells.

The door opened slowly, pushed inward from the outside. Katie took a deep breath and braced herself for whatever was going to come through. First came the horns followed closely by the long pointed face which turned to look right at her. As the rest of the body entered the room, Katie could see what it was. Even at the tender age of seven, she knew a reindeer when she saw it. The sleigh bells were a dead giveaway.

The animal walked straight over to the little girl and noticed how brave she was trying to be, sitting up tall in her bed and not crying out for help. Yes, this was the one Comet had been sent to see. She was very small and wore a stocking cap over her head. There were dark circles under her eyes and her skin had an ashen hue. It had been a tough year on this little one, of that Comet had no doubt.

“Hello Katie. My name is Comet. I have been sent here to take you for a ride.”

“Oh Comet, I knew you would come! I prayed and prayed for you to come see me. My mom tried to tell me you were busy and may not make it.”

“Your mom was right. I am busy and seeing you is at the top of my list. Climb on and let’s go for a ride.”

Katie was surprised how easy it was to get on the animal. A golden glow filled her being as the two flew out the window, leaving the cancer ward behind forever.

Word count 300


© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1508395-Last-Gift