*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1508972-Winter-Michigan-Style
Rated: E · Article · Experience · #1508972
A brief look at what makes winter in Southwest Lower Michigan a unique experience.
I know that Michigan is not the only place that gets massive amounts of snow ~ but this is the first time in years that I have been unable to get to work in 3 days, BEFORE Christmas!! At the time of this writing, it is 2 below zero with a wind chill of negative 25. We pulled off 10 inches of snow overnight and it is still coming down. The snow is taller than the puppy (which made for an interesting morning walk) and I am trapped with my 7 years old and unlimited cartoons for the 4th day straight.

I suspect I will lose my mind soon......

Thursday night we had a freezing rain storm - I couldn't get to work because I could not manage to chip the solid inch of ice off my car doors. (someone owes me a new ice brush) Yesterday we were under a Blizzard warning and this morning I woke to about 10 inches of snow. Again - no work.

For anyone who has ever lived in the midwest ~ aka "The Snowbelt" ~ the most ironic part of our winters is the fact that whatever weather you have, the next town over doesn't. For example, my hometown is 45 miles away and they got ice this weekend. A friend lives 20 miles north and got a foot and a half of snow last night. I work 12 miles south of my home and they got.... nothing. Imagine my boss who lives about 10 minutes from work. Sure its bitter cold, but barely any snow and no drifting to speak of, obviously there is no reason I couldn't make it in today. Obviously I am a slacker that is blatantly avoiding work despite the fact that being the end of the year I am out of days off and will be docked on my next check. I should be ashamed of myself!

I did manage to get to the gas station 2 blocks away this morning - thanks to the Maintenance man of my complex snowblowing my car out (the snow was past the back bumper). The only other traffic out during the morning rush were the snowplows fueling up and snagging coffee.

The roads are horrible - even where there is no snow. Black Ice is common around here and since it is dark for the morning drive and dusk for the evening drive - it is sometimes hard to spot. Wikopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_ice) defines: "Black ice is ice frozen without many air bubbles trapped inside, making it transparent. This type of ice takes the color of the material it lies on top of, often wet asphalt or a darkened pond. Its difficult-to-detect nature makes it a significant hazard to drivers, pedestrians, and sailors." Hidden under a thin layer of snow, it make traction for your car an iffy proposition. When in doubt - Drive SLOW, brake gently and often, avoid high traffic areas and any roadway with off and on ramps.

Michigan (in it's typical wisdom), has decided that due to the economy this year they need to cut the budgets for plowing and chemically treating the roads. This is the first year I can recall with significant snowfall before Halloween must less outright Blizzard warnings before Christmas. Smart move fellas!

Even the most seasoned winter drivers encounter spins, slide-offs and tip-overs. When in doubt - STAY HOME! No Midwestern driver would dare hit the winter roads without the following items in their car. Blankets, Kitty Litter in case you get stuck (it wont freeze like salt or sand and can be donated to the local shelter in the spring), a shovel, a cell phone, a flashlight, extra socks, sweaters and a good pair of boots and an orange emergency flag for your antenna. Try to stick to mid traffic roads - this way if you do have a slide off you are closer to people. Stay with your car and call for help on your cell. Remember, bad people are out in bad weather too so please don;t take chances with strangers. If you have a slide off - Stay with your car and run it for at least 10 minutes per hour with a window cracked for fresh air. You did remember the cell phone....right?

If you are lucky enough to be able to stay in, you still have to be prepared. Back-up heating, keep your water running so the pipes don't freeze, ample food and amusements for the kits and extra blankets are a must! Imagine being trapped in 2 below with the -25 windchill and your heat goes out or the water pipes burst. It's a horrible and scary experience and I have been there more than once. Winterize the house early in the season ~ plastic unneeded windows, stock up on batteries, get Fuel for your backup heater, turn on your heat tape to keep your pipes warm. Get a few extra board games and tuck them away for a snowbound day so your kids don't get bored and damage each other. When you know a storm is coming in stock up on a few gallons of bottled water, milk, bread, easy foods and get your blankets where you can find them. Candles, a battery radio and flashlights are necessary as well.

The scary part is I still have 3 more months of this to endure. Maybe I should consider moving south one of these days. 



© Copyright 2008 Tink_mom42 (tink_mom42 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1508972-Winter-Michigan-Style