*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1508975-Adults-Heading-Back-to-College
Rated: E · Article · Experience · #1508975
I discuss my own journey to higher education and the impact it has had on my life.
Have you ever considered going back to school and told yourself you simply couldn't? Which excuse did you use? Too old, no money, raising kids, not smart enough, working and you have no time? Hmm? I tried those too and I am here to tell you that's all bogus! I'm talking real school, not correspondence school. I'm talking an actual degree from an actual college with a real campus and professors, counselors, bookstores and everything! I am talking about Distance Learning - the hottest new thing in college education. Designed for the adult part time student with jobs and kids and everything!!

About 2 years ago, I was seriously depressed and unhappy with my life. I had no future at my job, no way to better the world for my daughter, no hope for improvement in life. My ex had spent 10 years telling me I was too stupid to ever amount to anything and I actually believed him. With no hobbies and nothing to occupy my hyper little mind, I would dwell on my misery incessantly.

One day I had a friends' 16 year old daughter over for the afternoon and was in one my black moods. She looked at me and asked "Why complain about your life? Just fix it already!" She told me outright to go back to school, it's easy. Her mom did it and loved it. I used all the excuses listed above and she just laughed at me. Next thing I know she and her dad are ganging up on me and 2 weeks later I had submitted my FAFSA (Free application for Federal Student Aid - http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/) and had enrolled in a local community college for summer term.

Thanks to the Pell Grant and the Stafford loans, my out of pocket each term is zero. They cover my classes and my books. Keep in mind the loan has to be paid back beginning 6 months after you stop taking classes. It is still an avenue to a better job and in my mind it is well worth it. There went my money excuse.

I still have a full time job and a little one - no way I am keeping her at a babysitter all the time. I just can't get away to go to class. Ta-Dah!! I give you Distance Learning!!!! Go ahead folks, google your favorite local university and search distance learning - I dare you! They all have it. Full degrees and the only time you step foot on campus it an occassional test. 5 terms so far, I have been on campus exactly 8 times. I'm telling you, it's do-able!!

The next thing I knew I was eyeball deep in Algebra and Ethics. It might have helped if I had actually realized that summer term is in double speed and I would be cramming 16 weeks into a mere 8. Regardless that term woke me up! I spent every waking minute with my books. I crammed in my car at lunch, took books to the laundromat, studied at the park while the little one played nearby. Surprisingly enough I got an A in each class. WOW a 4.0??? Me !?!?! The stupid one? Talk about a shocker.

I take 2 classes per term (usually) 3 is a bit overwhelming for me. Out of a total of 11 classes I have pulled off 1 C, 2 B's and 8 A's - how's that for stupid?  I am proud of my place on the dean's list, have maintained my job, started my home businesses and am thrilled to be showing my child, by example, how important school really is. That's not even the best part though....

The best part is that I have found that I LOVE school, I excel at writing papers, I am NOT stupid and and really am capable of accomplishing the impossible. I have an entirely new outlook on the world and my place in it and for the first time in my life I am truly proud of myself.

The hardest part is the self discipline required to maintain your study schedule. That schedule has to be engraved in stone!! If your child is in the emergency room - take your books and study while they nap. Those books are your lifeline and those classes will be running about $1000 each so you have to take them seriously. Set your study schedule so that it allows at least one / preferably two nights a week off. Start with easy classes or pair an easy one with a harder one. Whatever you do, don't give up on yourself - trust me, if I can do this... anyone can.

We have all seen the correspondence schools that offer a certificate in your field of choice. What exactly is that supposed to amount to in the real world? Exactly - Bupkis! There are two ways that I have found for a real education and a real degree.

One is the "online universities" like the University of Phoenix or Capella University. They offer financial aid and a real college degree - my concern with those is that if you opted to continue in your education, will your degree transfer? Rumor has it yes - I have yet to acquire proof. Still ~ if you know exactly what you want they are perfectly viable options.

Personally, I contacted the 4 year college I plan to eventually land in and asked them where they want my associates from. They pointed me to my local community college and worked with my counselor and myself to ensure we all knew exactly what classes to take to have the correct associates degree so I can transition smoothly into their Bachelors program (also distance learning) . This will provide me with transferable state credits that will be accepted at any state university and allows me to plan my entire education around distance learning. Now how cool is that?

The beauty of a Distance Learning Program is it is all right here - on your computer. You already spend more time sitting here than you should anyway, so why not be productive while you are at it?

Distance Learning is no relation to correspondence schools at all. With a Correspondence school they send you material, you complete the lessons and mail them back whenever you are ready. Distance learning is following a distinct Class Syllabus with hard due dates. Your assignments are posted on your web link, you just log in, complete them, post them and ensure your teacher gets them. You have your books, sometimes a link for online "labs", discussion board posts where you interact with your classmates and (usually) solid communication with your professor via email and announcement posts.

**The one main requirement to success in a D.L. Program is organization! Plot and plan everything so you don't find yourself cramming 4 chapters of Psychology in the week after Thanksgiving Break because you actually thought you could take the week off. (My head is still spinning!) Plan, Plan, and Plan!!! **

All you need is admission and access to a computer. Most schools have computer libraries available in case your own crashes and even your local library can get you access to your classes in a crunch. I actually perform better in an online setting simply because I have less distractions. I study during the day (lunch, after dinner ect..) and do my assignments and tests after the little one is asleep. It works perfectly for me.

As long as you believe in yourself ~ anyone can have a successful college career. Even single moms, seniors, or those that work full time. A little organization and some self confidence can take you wherever your dreams may lead you. It is always helpful to have a strong support group - maybe even organize a study group in yahoo with some of your classmates. I actually have several co-workers that are back in school right now and we are planning an occasional study night at the local Borders coffee shop!

Regardless, it is a choice that will pay off in the long run and build your self confidence in ways you can't begin to imagine. For example, I never knew I could write anything of value - until I wrote my umpteenth paper for school and realized I had yet to get a score lower than an A on any of them. The fact is - writing school papers has lead me to something I love, something I have always wanted to do and never thought I could.

Who knows where it will take me next - but it's a journey I am looking forward to.

Knowledge is power!!
© Copyright 2008 Tink_mom42 (tink_mom42 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1508975-Adults-Heading-Back-to-College