*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1510548-Mondern-Monsters-Ch-56
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1510548
I found a new purpose; getting away from Nicolas.
Chapter Five:
Things Seized.

“Though it may have been taken away, it never really was important if you can live without it.”
— Words to the Wise


NICOLAS BROUGHT HIS HANDS UP AND THE room went dark. I strained my eyes to see where he’d gone yet was unable to see or hear any thing. An instant later, the room was illuminated by the light of the hall once again.

         That’s when I realized everything was covered in blood. I’d no idea where it’d all come from; nevertheless, I knew it was blood. I could smell it; it tasted like used metal, salty and disgusting at the same time. Red hand prints covered my bed while the walls were splattered scarlet, there was even some on the ceiling. And there, in the middle of the floor, I saw the reason for all the blood. A perfect replica of me while I still had long hair was slumped in a pool of crimson.

         I screamed, though of course, nothing could escape past my voiceless throat. I writhed in panic as the smell got to me. And then I looked down. Blood covered my entire front, dripping slowly to pool around my feet. I closed my eyes as my silent scream continued through useless lips. Even shutting them couldn’t hide what I’d already seen.

         Hearing the soft laughter of the Necromancer I was able to pull out of the overwhelming sense of fear and despair that threatened to consume me. I found a new purpose; getting away from Nicolas.

         My eyes flew open and I glared wordlessly at my tormentor. He just continued to laugh. Finally, he gained some sort of control as he sensed a change within me.

         “What’s gotten into you?” he inquired as he moved closer.

         He should know by now I couldn’t answer.

         “What’s made you brave all of a sudden?” He’d finally come within striking distance.

         With everything I could muster, I kneed him right where it hurt the most. It was the one place he’d failed to make immobile.

         A look of pain overcame his face as he backed away, crouching into a hunched position. The invisible shackles holding my wrists disappeared. I flung myself through my open door and raced for the outside entry.

         The moment I reached the kitchen, Nicolas caught up. An unseen yet very solid wall slammed into my back, flinging me across the room and into the fridge. As I flew through the air I curled into a protective ball. My left shoulder hit the handle of the refrigerator. Pain coursed through my body dazing me.

         Hands as hard as stone flipped me over onto my back. I stared up into the hate-filled eyes of Nicolas and knew I was going to die.

         The invisible shackles returned, this time covering both my ankles and wrists.

         “Why did you have to be born a Lumenancer? You would have made a great ally to the Mavelle what with your ability to try everything in your power to escape when you’re in a bad situation. It’s just too bad we were born on opposite sides of the Magyck. Oh well, there’s nothing that can change that now,” he sighed.

         We stared into each other’s eyes, mine full of fear, his full of something close to sadness.

         “I really wish you wouldn’t look at me like that,” he said. “It makes me feel sad I can’t do anything to change what must happen tonight. I must still punish you for what you did; it was unforgivable. A woman should never stoop so low as to kick a man in the groin. It’s just so unladylike. Ah well, guess I have no choice now. I’m sorry dear, but I have nothing else I can do. I hope you’ll forgive me when you get to wherever it is you’re going.” He raised his hands until they were level with my face.

         The worse pain I’d ever experienced ripped through my body centered around my eyes and ears. My silent scream echoed endlessly in my mind. Blackness formed around the edges of my sight. The sound of my heavy panting seemed further away as the pain increased. The last thing I saw was the single tear that fell from Nicolas’s eye. The last thing I heard was the quiet, heavy sigh that left his lips as he stared into my incredulous eyes.

         I was thrown into a world of darkness and emptiness devoid of color and sound except for my thoughts and conjured images. I had become blind and deaf and mute. The instant my eyesight and hearing were gone, the pain left. I jerked away from the touch of Nicolas as he placed his lips tenderly to mine. I thrashed away from him, trying to break free from the confusion and fear that devoured my mind. I heard his voice in my mind, filling it until every nook and cranny was crammed with it.

         “I’m so sorry Clair, but I had no choice. Nekarro forced me into it. I never would have hurt you if I’d had another choice, but I didn’t.” Something wet hit my face making me flinch before I realized it was a tear. “I’m so sorry. I never wanted to hurt you. I can just never get away from Nekarro. He’s with me nearly every second. Only now am I safe when I’m within your mind. It’s the one place I’m safe to say the things I’ve always wanted to say.” There was a short pause before his voice continued. “I love you Clairyssah. Ever since the first time I laid eyes on you, I’ve loved you. I knew you’re the one meant for me, yet I also know we can never be together. Yet I still love you, and I always will.”

         My mouth opened in disbelief. It was absurd the things coming out of his, well I couldn’t say mouth, so, mind, I guess.

         “Please forgive me my dear,” he whispered gently into the chaos that had become my brain.

         Darkness swirled in the edges of my mind, a result of all the shock and pain I’d gone through. My body couldn’t handle anymore.

         “Goodbye, my one and only love,” Nicolas murmured. As his lips left mine, I finally succumbed to the darkness.

Matthew


I WAS BUSHED. I’d thrown every spell I knew at the cursed barrier and had been unable to even put a dent in it.

         “Gah!” I cried furiously, throwing my hands up in frustration. “Stupid Necromancer!”

         “Calm down Master and think!” Kahlil chastised.

         I turned to stare at the Kaemyn. At the moment, he was a black Great Dane, although taller than the breed permitted. That’s when the idea struck me. “That’s it!” I declared excitedly. “Hold still Kahlil,” I commanded.

         “Uh, Master?” the Kaemyn asked, confused.

         “Just do as you’re told,” I said impatiently. Quickly, I gathered a small amount of Magyck and focused on Kahlil. I entered into the simple mind of the demon to change myself into a Great Dane. An instant later, two large, black dogs bounded through the invisible shield.

         A shiver ran through me as I crossed the barrier; it felt as if something slimy and nasty smelling poured onto my head. The moment I was clear and on the other side, I shook my coat vigorously trying to get rid of the feeling.

         “Gah! That isn’t the way to wake up in the morning,” I stated.

         “You could say that again,” Kahlil agreed.

         As one, we transformed into finches and flew the rest of the way to the house; it was a lot faster than running in dog form. The cawing of a crow alerted us to the presence of another in the air with us.

         “I was starting to get worried,” I said casually.

         “I got sidetracked,” Gail explained.

         “What happened?”

         “Nicolas the Necromancer,” she replied simply.

         “We ran into the same problem,” said Kahlil.

         By now we’d reached the front door of Clairyssah’s house. It was unlocked. Shifting back into my original form, I kicked the door open. Everything looked exactly as it always did: perfectly clean and nothing out of place.

         Quickly, I ran to Clairyssah’s room and blanched at the sight that greeted me. Every surface was covered in blood. Glancing up, I realized even the ceiling had been sprayed. As I searched for the reason for all the crimson, my eyes fell on Clairyssah lying in a pool of her own blood.

         “Clair!” I screamed.

         A loud crash from the kitchen pulled my attention away from the awful sight. I dashed in the direction of the noise hoping to find the killer of Clairyssah. What caught my eye stopped me dead.

         Both people in the kitchen had blood splattered on them to some degree. The girl I hardly recognized without her long hair. It took me a few heartbeats to realize she was the one I searched. For a moment, I was dazed until the male caught my gaze. I stared into the now black eyes of Nicolas.

         “How did you get through my barrier?” he asked straightening out of his kneeling position over Clair.

         “Get away from her!” I yelled ignoring his question.

         Gail and Kahlil stepped up on either side of me and shifted into gigantic wolves.

         Nicolas moved back with the first sign of surprise I’d seen on his face. And then, with a quiet pop, he teleported to safety.

         For a few seconds I was rooted to the spot. Then I remembered Clairyssah. I rushed to her side and gathered her inert body into my arms. Focusing on the Infirmary at the Academy of Spells and Magyck, I teleported us there.

         The instant I arrived, Healer-Magician Lentel was by my side.

         “What happened?” he inquired professionally as I laid Clair on one of the empty beds.

         “She was attacked,” I replied. “I’m not too sure what happened, but I think most of this blood isn’t hers.”

         “Assistant-Nurse Spell-Weaver Kenson, hurry and get in here!” Lentel yelled in the direction of the nurse’s dorm.

         “Coming!” a female’s voice yelled.

         A few seconds later a short, red head bounded toward us as she pulled on her robe. Panting slightly, she came to a stop and bowed her head to Healer-Magician Lentel. “What do you need?” she asked.

         “I need you to help me remove this woman’s clothes,” he answered. He turned to me. “I’m afraid I’m going to have ask you to leave,” he said.

         I bowed to him. “Gail, stay with the girl, but remember to keep out of sight,” I told the Kaemyn with telepathy. One of the two flies that had been sitting on my left shoulder, took flight and landed on the wall above Clairyssah’s head. And then she flickered out of existence on the first five planes until I was the only one with enough rank to see her. “Call me the moment she wakes or something happens,” I commanded.

         “Yes Master Kelzby,” she replied.

         I then turned on my heel and went to the HeadMistress’s office to report, Kahlil morphing into a white cat and following close behind once the door to the Infirmary had clicked shut.


THREE DAYS LATER, CLAIRYSSAH HAD MADE NO change. She’d been in the Infirmary ever since I brought her there and yet Healer-Magician Lentel hadn’t been able to wake her. I was starting to get worried.

         “It’s been three days!” HeadMistress Cooper yelled. “You can’t even give me a good reason for why Clairyssah hasn’t woken yet. We’ve three months till the Winter Solstice. That’s the only time we have to prepare her so she’ll be ready to fight.”

         “And I’ve done everything I can think of. At this point I’m beginning to wonder if she’s still in her body.”

         “Well, seeing as you’ve been unable to do anything, I’m afraid I’m going to have to summon Míane.”

         I watched, surprised, as Lentel stood up from his green squishy chair and marched straight out of the room with a furious glare lighting his eyes.

         Cooper sighed. “I was afraid he’d take it like that,” she muttered.

         “Who’s Míane?” I asked, keeping my eyes only on her so I didn’t have to look at her office.

         “You’d know her if you’d paid attention in history!” she snapped.

         I just stared at her innocently.

         She sighed again. “You’d probably know her when I say the Healer Unicorn.”

         It clicked. “Oh,” I said, the light coming on.

         “Yes, and it seems the Academy and I will owe Míane a lot after she helps Clairyssah regain consciousness,” the HeadMistress stated as she rose out of her chair and motioned for me to leave her office ahead of her.

“I just hope the Unicorn will be able to help Clair,” I said as I headed to my rooms to wait for Míane to come and get ready for the day school.

         “Oh Matthew, I called your high school to tell them you wouldn’t be able to attend for the next couple of months. You’ve officially been taken off their role until further notice, so you don’t need to stay up any longer today. Don’t worry; I’ll wake you when it’s time to summon Míane. Have a good rest Mage Kelzby,” HeadMistress Cooper called after me.

         I turned back to ask, “What about night school?”

         “You’ve been excused from that as well.”

         I bowed. “I thank you HeadMistress. I owe you one.”

         “Well, then you can make it up tonight seeing as Professor-Wizard Goldmen will be unable to lend his power.”

         “Wake me and I shall come,” I stated solemnly.

         “I’ll send Olah.”

         I nodded and turned and continued down the hall toward my rooms to finally get some needed sleep.


IT SEEMED I’D HARDLY FALLEN ASLEEP BEFORE Kahlil’s voice woke me from my dreamless slumber.

         “Master Kelzby, the HeadMistress’s Kaemyn is seeking you. She says it’s nearly time to summon Míane.”

         I groaned. All I wanted to do was sleep for the next three months, but then I remembered Clair and I instantly snapped awake.

         Yawning, I got out of bed, put on a dark, forest green robe, and called Kahlil to my side. A small brown bat came down from the ceiling and landed on my outstretched arm. A moment later, we teleported to the Dining Hall.

         “Good, you were able to make it Spell-Weaver Kelzby,” Professor-Witch Hammell said, flicking her coal black hair out of her green eyes.

         “Yes Professor,” I stated with a nod of my head.

         “Are you ready to see what a true Kaemyn summons can be like?” Professor-Sorcerer Sage inquired as he came to stand next to Hammell.

         “I’m ready to participate, yes,” I replied.

         Seven voices ranging from sweet soprano to deep base laughed.

         “You think … you’re going to help … with the summons?” Professor-Magician Johnson stuttered. He was laughing so hard it was nearly impossible to understand what he was saying.

         I waited patiently for their laughter to die. When it did, I finally responded. “Yes. HeadMistress Cooper has already stated that I am to take the place of Professor-Wizard Goldmen.”

         Their laughter filled the room once again.

         “A Spell-Weaver take the place of a Wizard? You must be either out of your mind, or just plain stupid,” a Professor I didn’t know the name of snorted.

         With a small pop, the HeadMistress teleported into the midst of the group. The mirth died away instantly.

         “What’s going on?” Cooper asked, looking around.

         No one said anything.

         “Well?” she snapped at me, “Are you going to tell me what happened? I like to have a good laugh every once in awhile too, you know.”

         “Nothing happened, HeadMistress,” I replied calmly. There were sighs of relief as the Professors realized I wasn’t going to tattle on them.

         Cooper stepped closer until her face was right in front of mine. “I know something happened here and I know that you know that I know that you know something happened here, so tell me what happened here, now!” she commanded.

         Instinctively, I took a step back and gulped. Before I could open my mouth and answer, Professor-Sorcerer Sage replied, “Spell-Weaver Kelzby here thinks you gave him permission to take the place of Professor-Wizard Goldmen.”

         The HeadMistress turned her eyes to him and then a small smile broke out on her face. “And he was right about that. I did in fact say he would help with the summons,” HeadMistress stated placing a hand on my shoulder and swinging me around until I was securely grasped in her hold against her side.

         “But Spell-Weaver’s don’t rank high enough to do this sort of spell,” Professor Johnson said.

         “Then it is time all of you learned the truth. Kelzby, show them what you really are,” she commanded, releasing me.
I took a couple of steps away from everyone and dropped my disguise for the first time in two decades. There were cries of surprise and fear as what I really was registered.

         “A Vamgoyle!” a Professor I’d met before but didn’t know the name of cried.

         “Why has he been allowed to be among the students? You should know creatures like him aren’t allowed!” Professor-Sorcerer Sage yelled.

         “Vamgoyles are not to be trusted! They can’t control themselves as well as Vampires,” another unknown Professor spat at me.

         “And yet, here he stands, the best student the Academy has seen in nearly fifty years. Has anyone ever been attacked? Has there been any who could beat Matthew in any subject?” HeadMistress Cooper inquired, standing between me and the angered teachers. “I know it’s a shock to learn one of our students is a Vamgoyle, but I had to do what needed to be done.”

         The others were silenced by the HeadMistress’s solemn words.

         And then the bell tolled the hour. It was midnight at last, the time to summon Míane.

         As the second chime faded, Cooper yelled orders. “Kaemyns, out of the way! Your magic will interfere with the summons. Move!”

         Kahlil, joined by fourteen other demons, moved to the side of the Dining Hall.

         “Professors, make the circle!” Cooper commanded after the seventh tool. “Matthew, in the center, hurry!”

         I stared at her in horror. “But I don’t know what to do,” I said.

         “Don’t worry, you’re just going to be the focus. I’ll be the one controlling the Magyck. Now hurry!” she assured me.
Unwillingly, I moved to the center of the circle. The HeadMistress and Professors centered themselves on their own pre-drawn circles and faced toward the middle.

         I stood there unsure of what to do until HeadMistress Cooper’s voice entered my mind as the tenth chime sounded. “Just relax and let the Magyck guide you. As you’re the strongest in the room, the Magyck will center around you anyway. That’s why you have to be in the middle. Now get ready, the time has finally come.” The bell rang for the twelfth and final time.

         Instantly, the room filled with Magyck. Each of the teachers as well as me straightened and stood a little taller. Using Magyck like this was one of the greatest things we were able to do. It always left me wondering why I’d been chosen to be one of the lucky ones who got to experience using Magyck. Power flowed through every cell in my body. Never before had I felt so full of Magyck.

         Cooper’s voice then filled the chamber; it echoed off every surface and vibrated within my very soul. —“Míane. I, the HeadMistress of the Academy of Spells and Magyck, ask that you come and help one who is in need of your ability. We have done everything we can, but have been unable to make any changes to her. We are willing to pay any price you ask or do whatever you wish of us. Just please, help us, we have no one else who can.”—

         The air suddenly turned green. Heat consumed my body as the Magyck increased to a pitch I’d never felt. I gritted my teeth against the ringing in my ears and stood my ground.

         A new voice entered the room, one I’d never heard before. —“Tell me of the one you wish me to heal, for I can do nothing if I don’t know anything about her.”—

         As the new female’s words left the room, the speaker’s form began to appear from out of the mist. Standing between me and the HeadMistress was a Unicorn. Even though I’d been expecting one, Míane was like no Unicorn I’d ever met before. I mean, how many times in one life time do you actually meet a green Unicorn? Míane’s fur seemed to glow with a green fire. Her legs were a darker green then the rest of her body and black zebra stripes ran up them. A lion’s tail flicked from side-to-side while one of her cloven hooves stamped the floor restlessly. Her spiraled, golden horn matched her hooves and eyes and glowed even brighter than her fur. The funny thing about her though was that she barely came to my waist. When I’d first heard about her, I’d always imagined her towering over me, and yet, here she was looking up at me.

         “Her name is Clairyssah Oaklyn, the last of the Ai’yume blood, and the one who must purify the Magyck,” the HeadMistress replied in her regular voice.

         —“And how do you know this?”— the Healer Unicorn asked.

         “Mage Matthew Kelzby has had the chance to have Clairyssah and Lumena within his mind where he was able to speak with them. That is how I came by this information.”

         —“And Clairyssah is the one you wish me to help?”—

         “Yes, Míane.”

         —“And are you and the Academy really willing to pay any price?”—

         “Yes,” Cooper repeated.

         Míane was quiet as she deliberated. Finally, she replied. —“Then I shall grant your wish.”—

         The HeadMistress bowed followed seconds later by the Professors and me. The Magyck within me slowly died as Míane and Cooper walked off to the side while the Healer Unicorn named her price.

         The teachers left the Dining Hall before I could decide what I was going to do. What with no day school in the morning to look forward to, I would be one of the few students attending the Academy during the day. And I had no idea what I was going to take. At last, I decided I’d go back to bed and talk to the councilor in the morning.

         Just as I reached the entry, HeadMistress Cooper called me to her. With a sigh, I turned and went to her.

         “Matthew, Míane wants to talk with you,” she said after I came to a stop.

         “All right,” I stated bowing as she left me alone with the Unicorn.

         —“So, you’re the strongest in the room, huh? Why didn’t you do the summonings? You have enough power to bind me to your will three times over. Even compared to that Sorceress HeadMistress you’re many times more powerful. Why haven’t you gone to the next level and become a Lumenancer yet?”— she asked, taking me by surprise.

         “I — I didn’t — don’t know how to do this powerful a spell. If I did, I would have summoned you the moment I brought Clair here,” I answered truthfully.

         —“Well, then you should learn how to summon Superior Kaemyns on your own; it’d be a good thing to learn before the Winter Solstice.”—

         “I’ll take it into consideration,” I promised.

         She regarded me with her gold eyes. —“I think you’d make a great Lumenancer,”— she commented.

         I looked away from her fierce gaze. “Can we just get on with this?” I questioned.

         Míane breathed heavily through her nose. —“Yes, we shall get on with it.”—

         I waited patiently as she gathered her thoughts.

         —“Since I am to grant the wish of the HeadMistress and the Academy, and, I assume, your wish as well, then this is my price: your promised word that you will release me. And your blood.”—

         I stared at her in horror. “My blood?” I squeaked
.
         —“And your promised word that you’ll release me,”— she repeated.

         “What is that supposed to mean?” I asked clearing my throat so it wouldn’t squeak again.

         —“I want you to let me go so I never have to come to another summons again. I never want to go back to the Great Abyss. You’ve no idea what its like to be stuck there with nothing to do or see or hear.”— Míane said quietly. —“Your blood is part of the price because you can never lie to me once my horn has tasted your blood. I’ll be able to come to you whenever I wish and have you release me even if you don’t want to.”—

         I felt my mouth fall open as she’d explained to me the details of her price. Never before had I heard of a Kaemyn wanting the things Míane wanted. Magyck users never used or gave their blood willingly unless the reason was entirely dire. Thinking of the last time I’d seen Clair awake and my promise to her, I made up my mind in a single moment.

         “I agree to your terms,” I said looking up from the ground and meeting the Healer Unicorn’s eyes.

         —“Then I accept your word and shall keep you to it,”— Míane agreed.

         —“Knife,”— I whispered quietly. A black-bladed, silver-handled knife appeared seemingly out of nowhere directly in front of my hand. Grabbing it, I took it in my left hand and sliced the blade across my right palm. Blood welled around the cut and pooled in my cupped hand. Quickly, I closed it into a fist and stepped closer to Míane. I then took the Healer Unicorn’s horn in my bleeding hand and let it slowly drip down until it touched her forehead.

         —Míane, Healer Unicorn, I swear by the very blood and Magyck within my soul to release you of the bond that holds you to the Great Abyss. Never again shall you have to return there and await the next time someone summons you in order to leave the Abyss. Never again shall you need be forced to work for another Magyck user again. You shall be forever free, having done this great service for me, Mage Matthew Kelzby. As of today, you shall be free and never again be subjected to work for another Magyck user of any level,”— I said, my voice ringing in the silence.

         Míane reared, breaking my grip. —“I thank you, Kelzby. I shall do everything in my power to heal Clairyssah. I can tell she is very important to you.”—

         “Then follow me,” I said leading her toward the Infirmary.




Chapter Six:
Things Seen.

“The sixth sense is there for a reason. If nothing else is left, use it.”
— Words to the Wise



—“EVERYTHING IS GOING ACCORDING TO THE PLAN,”— Míane stated as she left the Infirmary. She’d been in there for nearly five hours doing whatever it was she’d been doing.

         “How is she?” I asked rushing to her side after standing from my sitting position against the wall. Kahlil and Gail, who’d been banished from the room, shifted into mice and followed me to the Unicorn’s side.

         —“She’ll be fine. But I’m afraid there was nothing I could do about her eyesight or her hearing or even her throat. She’ll never be able to use any of them again,”— she said sadly. —“I tried everything within my power to help her, but I was only able to lift the darkness within her mind. She’ll wake in a little while. I suggest you go in there and stay by her so she’ll wake up next to someone she knows.”—

         I nodded agreement.

         —“I’ll speak with you later, Mage Kelzby. I can tell your too preoccupied at the moment to do anything about the payment. When I’m ready, I’ll tell you,”— Míane huffed as she turned and headed down the hallway.

         I bowed to her retreating back before opening the door and entering the Infirmary. Clair was sprawled on the only bed next to the door. She was also the only one in the room aside from me. I went to her side and knelt to wait for her to wake. I didn’t care how long it took. I was going to stay right here no matter what anyone said. Even if Míane said Clairyssah was going to wake soon, I could never be certain.

Clairyssah


I WAS DEAD. I had to be. No one could ever go through all I had and still be alive. Nicolas hadn’t been lying when he said I was going to die. The moment he’d first laid eyes on me, I had always felt he was a danger and that if I was ever left alone with him, something bad would happen. My instincts had proven true.

         Straining my eyes, I sought to see what I could. I was in a dark place. Nothing came to my searching ears or eyes. It felt as if I had been blind folded and earplugs had been shoved into my ears.

         Something abruptly touched my bare arm. I flinched in fear. It seemed Nicolas had only been playing with me when told me he was going to kill me. I was still under his care.

         [i}“Clair? Are you truly awake now?” a voice I recognized asked.

         It wasn’t possible. He couldn’t be here with me too. Then something struck me. Perhaps, since Nicolas had all kinds of power I had no idea about, he could imitate Matthew’s voice.

         “Clair?” he asked again pushing against my arm.

         Using the force with which Nicolas pushed me, I rolled away from him. Not even a full roll later and I was on the floor, all of the air knocked out of me.

         “Clairyssah!” Matthew’s voice yelled within my mind.

         I was dazed, but only for a moment. Quickly, I got to my feet, picked a random direction, and started running. After taking five steps, I smashed into the wall. I fell flat on my back, confused. Why was I feeling pain? I should be past that sort of thing by now.

         “Well, that sure was stupid thing to do,” a new voice, this time a female’s, laughed.

         I tried to make my leg move. It didn’t. My head started to ache.

         “Clair! What’s wrong?” Matthew’s voice inquired.

         Under me, I felt the vibrations in the wood floor as someone came rushing to my side. With one final effort, I used the last strength I could possibly muster and rolled to the left, away from the approaching feet. I’d hardly taken a full turn when my shin connected with something hard and metal. Clutching my leg, I groaned silently in pain, tears forming in my eyes. I was definitely going to get a bruise later.

         Muscular arms gently gathered me in them and held me close against a strong chest. I struggled weakly, yet all of my will and strength had left me. I was helpless in Nicolas’s arms.

         “Clairyssah, what’s troubling you? Why won’t you say anything?”

         He should know perfectly well why I couldn’t say anything to him. I was mute after all! I began to laugh silently my whole body shaking with mirth.

         “What’s wrong with her? Is she scared?” the other voice questioned. I sensed someone moving slowly closer. I cringed away from them as she reached out a hand to touch my shoulder.

         Suddenly, my sense of her was gone. “Don’t lay a finger on her, Sorceress Cooper, if you don’t mind,” Matthew’s voice snarled. The arms clung to me tighter. A vibrating radiated from Nicolas. Was he growling? Why in the world would he be growling at someone? It didn’t make any sense.

         “Mage Kelzby, I know all you’re trying to do is protect her, but do try to refrain yourself from growling at me. I don’t like it very much,” the other person stated.

         “Then refrain yourself from touching her,” Nicolas snapped. “I’m taking her to my rooms. If you need me, use Olah, I’d prefer not to see you for awhile. Not at least until I settle down.”

         “Very well, Mage Kelzby.”

         “Don’t worry Clair, I’ll protect you no matter what,”
Nicolas whispered.

         I shivered against his side and fought to get away. Of course it was impossible to even lift my head away from his chest. He was holding me too tight. And then it felt as if my body was being squeezed into a too small a place. Three heartbeats later, I was finally able to breathe properly again.

         “We’re here Clair. You don’t need to worry anymore. You’re safe here with me. Nicolas will never lay a hand on you again,” he said with such certainty I nearly believed him.

         Ha, yeah right. Why doesn’t he just say I’ll be safer back at home? I laughed sarcastically to myself.

         “What do you mean by that Clair?”

         Jeez, why doesn’t he just take my life? It’s not like I’ve anything left he can take,
I griped to no one in particular.

         “What are you muttering about?”

         Like it’s any of your business,
I snapped in answer with my mind.

         “Master Kelzby, how can she muttering if her mouth isn’t even moving?” a new voice asked.

         Why does everyone keep calling him Kelzby? Or has he changed his appearance to look like him as well? I wondered, shivering at the thought of Nicolas taking on the form of Matthew.

         Suddenly, I had the feeling I was being moved. A moment later I was placed on something soft. It felt like a bed or maybe a sofa, I couldn’t tell which. The edge of the furniture moved down making me slide toward Nicolas as he sat next to me. A warm hand caressed my forehead.

         “Clair, why won’t you tell me what’s going on?” Matthew’s voice asked quietly.

         Why should I tell him anything? He should realize by now I know he’s Nicolas.

         “What?!”


         I flinched at the force of his words and tried to scoot away from him but he held me down by the hand on my head.

         “How in the world could you think I could be Nicolas? I never would have done this to you!” Nicolas snarled, one of his hands snaking behind my head while his other moved to my shoulder. He pulled me up and began to shake me furiously. “How could you possibly think I would ever tear you apart like this? I never, never would have taken the things that vile demon took. I never should have left your side for a moment. If I hadn’t, then you’d still be whole,” his voice broke. He held me closer, nearly choking the breath out of me.

         I struggled to escape his grip. I hated the feel of his hands on me, his breath in my hair, the very scent of him. Ha, don’t try to fool me. I know who you are. Nothing you say can convince me otherwise.

         Nicolas’s grasp loosened and he pushed me slightly back, probably so he could look into my sightless eyes. “Is that so? Well, I guess we’ll just have to see about that,” he whispered. “No one but me has this ability, not even that devil of a Necromancer.”

         The next thing I knew, a presence was forcing itself into me. I started to run, mentally; it was the only thing I could do.

         “You will believe me Clair, even if I must capture you within your own mind and make you see the truth,” Nicolas yelled after me as I dived deeper into my mind. Where was Lumena when you needed her? As I ran, I began to realize just how small a brain was when there were three people in it even if one wasn’t there when you needed her. I soon ran out of room to flee. Within the very darkest recesses of my mind, he cornered me.

         I made myself as small as possible and turned to face him. A Matthew I knew yet didn’t stood before me, his crimson eyes glaring directly into my soul. Slowly, he moved closer, his being filling my entire vision.

         “Look me in the eyes and tell me I am Nicolas!” he yelled his voice echoing painfully against the walls of my mind. I cringed against the away trying to become even smaller. “Well? Why won’t you say it? Is it because you think you’ll be right?”

         At first, I could say nothing to counter his words. At last, I was able to say something. No, I said. I won’t say it because, somehow, I have a feeling that if Nicolas truly looked like this, he would have shown me the moment I entered my room, I whispered.

         A pained expression crossed Matthew’s face. “I’ll understand if you want to run. I won’t do anything to stop you from leaving. I’ll even go so far as to get someone else to guide you. Someone who isn’t as dangerous as me.” He turned from me and began to leave.

         I reached a hand after him. The pain in his voice and eyes had been one of the worst things I’d ever heard. Wait! I cried hurrying to his side. He didn’t turn, he only continued to slowly leave my mind. I hurried after him trying to catch him before he could leave the confines of my brain. Matthew, wait! I flung myself across the short distance and wrapped my arms around his left wing.

         He froze and half turned to look at me with his blood red eyes. “Don’t I repulse you? Don’t I make your skin crawl? Can’t you sense the evil radiating off me? Doesn’t the sight of me want to make you run screaming from me?” he growled, his eyes angry yet infinitely sad at the same time. “How can you just stand there and look at me? How can you stand my presence being inside you? I can’t even stand the sight of myself in my own mirror!” He wrenched his wing out of my tight grasp and left my mind.

         Matthew! I cried reaching blindly for him. Please don’t leave me! I don’t want to be alone.

         “I’m leaving now. I’ll never come to you again. You’ll be a lot safer this way,”
he whispered, his voice getting fainter the farther away he went.

         No! I sobbed, tears falling. I lurched unsteadily to my feet trying to feel the vibrations on the floor which indicated where Matthew was. With every step I took, tiny shocks of movement went through the floor and sent images to my mind’s eyes which showed me where things were. Directly ahead of me was the door. Without another thought I quickened my pace, my amazement over the fact I could sense things and thus virtually see pushed to the back of my mind.

Matthew


HOW WAS SHE ABLE TO KEEP UP with me? She couldn’t even see where she was going! I quicken my pace. I easily could have teleported away from her, yet a part of me wanted her to catch up to me. I wanted to hold her against me and comfort her. But that was impossible. Without my disguise I was unable to suppress the burning thirst that consumed me every time I came within smelling distance of Clair. Any longer in that room and I would have surely killed her.

         “Matthew, wait! Please!” Clair yelled, her footsteps quickening to match mine. How was she seeing without her eyes? And how did she know she was following me?

         Míane abruptly appeared next to me, cantering to keep up with me. —“What are you running from? Is your life in danger?”—

         “No, I’m not in danger. I’m the cause of it,”
I panted.

         —“And what is that supposed to mean?”—

         “You know what I am. Figure it out for yourself.”


         Behind us, Clairyssah’s step faltered and slowed. “Matthew, who is that with you?” she asked.

         I didn’t answer, I just continued to run. And then something grabbed the back of my robe dangerously close to my rear and pulled me to a stop. Míane released me and glared at me with her gold eyes.

         —“You weren’t even going to introduce us, were you?— she huffed angrily through her nose. She turned from me and slowly walked toward Clair. —“Well, seeing as this annoying pile of walking bones wasn’t going to tell you who I am and what I did for you, I guess I’ll have to tell you myself. I am Míane the Healer Unicorn, and I was the one who brought you back from the dark spell that Necromancer placed on you.”—

         By this point Clair had completely stopped ten feet away from us. “But, you’re a Unicorn,” she whispered in disbelief.

         —“And?”—

         “How is it possible you’re here?”


         Míane shrugged her green shoulders.

         Since they were both occupied, I decided to take the time and make another run for it. Before either of them could react, one of the doors to a junior’s dorm blow up and out, filling the hallway with dust and rubble.


Next Chapter 7: Blood Longing, and Chapter 8: Blood Love
© Copyright 2008 Laura McConaha (alennyah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1510548-Mondern-Monsters-Ch-56