*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1522198-Modern-Monsters-Ch-78
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1522198
... I bit down into the woman’s glorious smelling flesh and began to suck.
Chapter Seven:
Blood Longing.
“Sometimes the lusting of a thing one can‘t have makes it harder for things to run smoothly.”
Words to the Wise

NICOLAS


“NICOLAS, WHY HAVE YOU ALLOWED CLAIRYSSAH TO stay alive after I gave you specific orders to kill her? You know how I hate it when you fail to do the simple assignments I give you,” Nekarro’s voice whispered.

         I shivered mentally while my body stayed perfectly still. Only once before had I failed to get a job done. My punishment and nearly left me dead. I knew after this one I might never again walk the surface of the planet.

         “I know you thought you might have been able to trick me with that pathetic Kaemyn who was supposed to be Clairyssah, but how stupid do you really think I am? Did you think a couple of hundreds of years of knowledge could enable you to trick me? Ha! I almost forgot how to laugh. Next time, use a real human and not a demon, at least a human’s body while decay while a Kaemyn’s only stays in the same form for four days.”

         I bowed my head in pretend acquiesce. “I am sorry Master,” I lied smoothly with the centuries of training I’d had to perfect being around him.

         “Bellynda!” Nekarro suddenly yelled into the darkness surrounding us.

         A lithe, black-haired, blue-eyed woman of extreme beauty slipped out of the darkness, forever swaying her body back and forth like a serpent as her name suggested. “You called for me Master Nekarro?” she asked in her velvet voice as she came to a stop next to me.

         “Yes, my Serpent, I did. I think the time has finally come for you to take your brother’s place on my right side. He has failed me for the last time. Are you up for the challenge?”

         “Of course. I’ve waited decades for you to say it was my turn to take Nicolas’s place.”

         “Then your training with Kuro shall begin tonight. Lumena is no match against my daughter as Clairyssah is no match for you, my Bellynda,” Nekarro murmured, his dark shapeless soul floating toward her. He twined himself around her and whispered words I couldn’t hear. He then pulled away leaving a smaller darkness next to my twin sister.

         I stood my ground as Nekarro came closer. He swirled in intricate circles around me whispering his plans for me. “It has been too long since I was last in a physical body. I think it is time to regain a new one. I want to be able to move around and put my plans into action instead of having others do it for me.”

         I stood still as his foul being came closer. Tendrils of darkness wrapped around me, holding me in place. I couldn’t move even if I wanted to. Two thin lines of black attached themselves to my temples and the painful process of soul exchanging began. Through it all I kept my voice quiet and never moved a muscle.

MATTHEW
I


I FLUNG MYSELF AC6ROSS THE DISTANCE SEPARATING Clairyssah and I, my Dragon wings extended to their fullest. They curled around her along with my arms protecting her from the shards of the door that flew in every direction. An especially large one struck me in the back of the head knocking the air out of me.

         Finally, the dust settled. I slowly lifted myself off Clair and checked her to make sure she was okay. Aside from a small cut on her cheek, she was otherwise unmarked.

         “Matthew? What happened? Why did the door just blow up?” she asked.

         I stared at her amazed she’d been able to see what happened though she couldn’t use her eyes. How was she doing it?

         “Matthew?” She nudged me with her arm. “Are you all right?”

         “Yeah, I’m fine,” I finally answered when I was able to draw a breath.

         A stunned Elf stumbled through the destroyed remains of the door, wiping dirt and rubble from his hair and face.

         Concerned faces poked their heads out of their doors checking to see if everyone was all right.

         “Allen! What happened?” a worried female’s voice cried as a Dii-myn rushed to the blonde Elf’s side and helping him out of his destroyed room.

         “I — I was trying to start a fire,” he muttered sheepishly dipping his head in embarrassment.

         “And made your door explode instead?” a Dwarf chuckled.

         Allen’s face turned bright red.

         “Oh shut up, John!” the Dii-myn yelled, her left wing stretching to its fullest extent while her right tickled Allen in his ear.

         I felt Clairyssah shiver against me. “Clair?” I whispered.

         Before she could answer, everyone finally noticed us.

         “Matthew?” Allen asked stepping away from the Dii-myn. “What happened to you? And who’s that?”

         I was proud of myself. Never before had my confusion spell worked so well. Though everyone had seen me as a human, their subconscious had registered the fact of what I really was so the moment I dropped my guise everyone would still know it was me. Looking up I met the Elf’s gaze. He didn’t even react to my crimson eyes. “Nothing, we just fell to the floor so none of the large chunks of the door would hit us,” I finally replied as calmly as I could.

         “What’s going on here?” the HeadMistress’s voice boomed.

         Everyone froze before turning to look at Cooper.

         “Magician Allen Kreebec, spill it! What did you do?”

         “I was only trying to start a fire so I could practice making the Giggling Concoction but I guess I aimed my wand too far to the left while muttering the incantation,” Allen stuttered cringing under the intense gaze of Cooper.

         “And so you made your door explode instead?”

         All the poor Elf could do was cringe and nod quickly hoping her anger would go elsewhere.

         “Idiot!” HeadMistress Cooper raged. “I am tired of you messing up everyday! As punishment for your stupidity you shall scrub the hallways for the next week and write an essay to be handed into me by Saturday on the subject of proper spell-casting. Understand?” she barked. Allen bowed. She turned her attention to the other students. “Get to lunch, the bell’s going to ring.” As everyone scurried to do her bidding, Sorceress Cooper looked at me. “Bring Clair and come with me. She needs more rest before beginning her classes on Wednesday. You shall go to lunch after she’s settled and eat and then go to your new afternoon classes.”

         As I stood to bow to the HeadMistress, Clair clung to me tighter. “I don’t to want go anywhere with her,” she whispered quietly. “I don’t even know who she is.”

         “Oh come now child, I won’t bite. Now come on, I want to eat.”

         I pulled the reluctant Clair after me as I hurried to keep up with the HeadMistress’s quick pace. I stumbled over a couple of large pieces of rubble and blushed as someone laughed at my clumsiness.

Clairyssah
II


I FOLLOWED QUIETLY AS MATTHEW PULLED ME along. I had no idea of what was going on. Tears of frustration and betrayal threatened to fall. I angrily clenched my free hand and kept my feelings to myself. I would never show anyone how weak I was ever again.

         The vibrations created by the woman leading us as well as Matthew and I made it easy for me to see, or more like sense where things were. I effortlessly navigated the rubble strewn floor. I laughed silently as Matthew tripped numerous times. After walking past a couple dozen doors and a flight of stairs, the woman in front of us stopped and opened a door.

         “We’re here,” she stated. I sensed her holding an arm out to indicate we were to enter before her. For the first time I began to wonder how I was actually able to see.

         Without a word, Matthew dragged me into the room and set me on the bed. “Stay,” he commanded. “I’ll be back at the end of the day, I promise,” he whispered.

         “Oh please, I can’t stand any more of this lovey-dovey stuff! Get to lunch Mage Kelzby! And quit worrying about the little Lumenancer!”

         Matthew jumped and rushed from the room with a bow.

         The woman turned to me, her hooped earrings swinging and causing ripples of movement which glinted gold. Now I was sensing color? How was that even possible?

         “So, we’re alone at last. Finally!” As she came closer I quickly scooted away from her. She slowed before sitting on the bed with me. “I am Sorceress Cooper, the HeadMistress of the Academy of Spells and Magyck. I’m also known as the Angry Flower, but you can call me the Color-blind HeadMistress if you want,” she smiled, flashing perfect white teeth.

         I stared at her dumbfounded. Was this woman for real?

         “No, but seriously, the reason I brought you here was so we can talk. I’m sure by now you’re overwhelmed by everything that’s happened. It’s not everyday you learn there’s a hidden community right under your nose and one that’s full of strange creatures you thought existed only in myths to boot. I just want you to know if you ever need anything, just call for me. I’ll always be there,” she said patting me on the shoulder.

         Can you tell me one thing? I asked after a moment of silence.

         “And what would that be?”

         What exactly is Matthew?
I whispered. Every time he was near me I could sense he desperately wanted to pull me closer but shove me away at the same time. I couldn’t make any sense out of it.

         The HeadMistress sighed and looked away from me. “Of all the things you could ask you just had to choose the one that will probably scare you witless.”

         I still want to know,
I said calmly. I’m sure I’ll be able to handle it.

         Cooper stared at me, her eyes wide. “Well, you sure are a direct creature, aren’t you? We’ll just have to see if you can.”

         I waited for her to continue.

         Sighing again, the HeadMistress opened her mouth, took a breath, and began. “Kelzby is a Vamgoyle, a cross between Vampires and Gargoyles. Like Vampires, Vamgoyles must drink blood in order to survive, though they can live a short while on human food alone. However, Vamgoyles have a weakness. Unlike Vampires, they cannot control their bloodlust or their venom. When they feed, they drain their prey of all their blood. The moment a Vamgoyle’s fangs touch their food, venom is injected into the bloodstream paralyzing the victim. No one has ever survived the bite of a Vamgoyle. There is no such thing as a human, or any other species for that matter, transforming into a Vamgoyle. That is why you must be careful when you’re around Matthew. If he so much as smells a single drop of your blood, he will kill you. There’s nothing in this world that could stop him,” she said fiercely, leaning toward me with every word.

         I gulped and clutched my hands together. I knew he’d been hiding something from me, but I didn’t think it was this big a secret.

         At last, I was able to collect my thoughts. I — if he’s so dangerous, why is he allowed to stay here?

         “Because he is an important part of the war against the Dark side.”

Matthew
III


I COULDN’T GET THE SCENT OF HER out of my mind. She just smelled too appealing! How could a simple disguise alter the scent of someone? No one else in this room crammed with over a hundred students smelled better then Clair. Why did it have to be her?

         “Matthew? Is anyone occupying that so-called brain of yours?” Daniel asked, rapping the top of my head smartly.

         “Oww!” I cried indignantly. I snapped my hand out and snatched Dan’s wrist in a tight grip. “What was that for?!”

         He stared at me in surprise. “How —?” he began.

         Before I could say anything, the HeadMistress’s voice filled the chamber. “Attention everyone! Attention! Hey! You in the back, be quiet! I’m trying to talk here!”

         No one was saying a word after her ringing yells ceased echoing.

         “Anyway, to continue. Today, Linda White shall be joining our ranks as of today. I want each of you to show this fine young lady how nice I’m sure all of you can be. Here she is,” Sorceress Cooper stated holding out a hand to a short woman with pitch black hair and stunning blue eyes shyly stepped up next to the HeadMistress’s side.

         As the bell rang ending lunch, the HeadMistress led everyone out of the Dining Hall. I followed blindly after Dan my thoughts full of musings about Linda. An instant before the bell chimed, she had lifted her head and looked straight at me. Never had I felt such a hostile stare. Except from one person: Nicolas.

         “Matthew! Don’t go in there! That’s the girl’s bathroom!” Dan’s voice called breaking into my thoughts.
I blinked and found my hand on the door handle of the ladies restroom. Turning red, I released the knob and continued down the hall while trying to ignore the snickers of the people I passed.

III. a.


WITH A RELIEVED SIGH, I GATHERED MY books together and shoved them into my bag. I had no idea why the HeadMistress was making me take this class. She should have known by now I was never going to be good at telekinesis, I never had been. I mean, yeah, so I could lift things if I really tried, but it left me tired and angry. I don’t exactly like to be reminded that I’m bad at something. I knew I was going to fail this class.

         I sighed again as the last person left the classroom. Checking to make sure the teacher was gone, I closed my eyes and teleported to my room. Ridding myself of my robe, I changed into regular jeans and t-shirt before realizing my shirt didn’t have holes in the back for my wings and my jeans didn’t have one for my tail. I growled in irritation. Of all the things that could’ve upset me, this shouldn’t have been one of them. And yet it was.

         I need some air, I thought to myself, slipping my robe back on. My wings closed around me resting lightly on my shoulders. One good thing about these robes was that they altered themselves to match the one wearing them. If, somehow, you accidentally got the robes of someone who was a foot taller than you, the instant you put it on, the cloak would shrink to accommodate your height. Another trait they carried was if you had wings and or a tail, they would create holes for the extra limbs. Too bad regular clothes couldn’t do that.

         Without touching the door, it swung open. I smiled, my sharp fangs flashing. It seemed when I was miffed I could use telekinesis even easier then some of the Professors.

         I walked the halls in no particular direction. At the moment dinner was being served, but I wasn’t hungry for human mush, my body craved something else entirely. I tried to focus my attention on other things yet I always returned to the same train of thought.

         It wasn’t until I was standing over the sleeping form of Clair that I realized where I was. I stared down at her, my red eyes shining with lust. I blinked and the pulsing veins housing her blood enlarged in my vision until it was the only thing I could see and think about.

         I wanted that fluid, wanted it with every fiber in my being. I longed to sink my teeth into the soft flesh of that young maiden’s neck. I wanted to taste her blood and drain her of it. I’d fasted for too long, I needed blood, needed it to survive. I had fought my demon side for far too long.

         It was time to fill its need with this woman’s life giving liquid. I couldn’t resist any longer. Instinctively, I raised a shield keeping everything out so nothing would interfere with my meal. Slowly, I crouched over the slumbering human, my fangs growing longer and claws appearing on my clutching hands. As if in slow motion, my head moved to her neck. My hand tilted her head back exposing her neck to me. My other hand held her down in case she woke. My tongue flicked out, caressing and savoring her taste.

         Opening my mouth wide, I bit down into the woman’s glorious smelling flesh and began to suck.








Chapter Eight:
Blood Love.

“Sometimes love can be unpredictable and come at anytime.”
Words to the Wise

Clairyssah


IT WAS THE PAIN THAT WOKE ME. The burning filled my neck and seared its way toward my heart and then through the rest of my body.

         My eyes snapped open though of course I couldn’t see anything with them. Instead I sensed Matthew leaning over me with his fangs embedded into my neck and sucking my blood into his system.

         M — Matthew? I whispered while trying to sit up.

         He growled making his chest rumble. His grip tightened painfully making me wince.

         Dizziness swirled in my mind as I tried to pull away from him. It was to no avail. His venom kept me frozen in place.

         Matthew, please let go. Haven’t you had enough yet? I asked quietly.

         His growl became louder and his fangs sunk deeper.

         Silent tears fell. I was unable to stop him. I began feeling lightheaded and the swirling went from the twirling of an eddy in a stream to the spinning of a tornado. I struggled to move even though it sent waves of pain crashing through my body. I had to stop him before he sucked me dry no matter what.

         Please, Matthew, I pleaded, my thoughts getting quieter with every second that passed. Please. If you take any more, I’ll die. Please Matthew! Find the will to stop. I know you can.

         Darkness crowded my mind. I wasn’t going to last much longer if this kept up.

         And then, suddenly, I was released.

         Matthew slowly backed away from me, a look of horror on his face. “Clair?” his voice quivered. His eyes widened in dismay as he brought his hands up to his mouth and touched the blood slowly dripping down his chin. “What have I done?” And then he fell to his knees, his hands coming up to cover his face.

         Somehow I found the energy to sit up and get off the bed, but the moment I stood and put weight on my weak legs, I collapsed. My head spun faster making the room tilt at an odd angle. I shook my head and forced myself to move toward Matthew. The smell of blood definitely wasn’t helping my fight.

         Finally, after what felt ages, I was kneeling in front of the unmoving Vamgoyle. Matthew, it’s all right, I murmured using the sleeve of the robe the HeadMistress had given me to wipe the blood from his face and hands.

         He continued to sit there motionless.

         Matthew, please say something, I said in a light voice trying to ease the mood.

         As if in slow motion, he lowered his hands slightly and peeked at me through his fingers. “What do want me to say?” he snapped.

         That everything’s fine, I replied.

         “Everything is fine?” he mocked his hands dropping to his sides and clenching into fists. “How could you say something like that? How could you expect me to say something like that? Everything is fine? Ha! How could everything be all right when I nearly killed you?”

         It’s fine because you didn’t kill me,
I reasoned quietly.

         “But I could have! Do you even realize how close to dying you were just now?”

         But I didn’t,
I reiterated.

         He continued as if I hadn’t spoken. “You want me to say something so stupid as that? I can’t believe it! Here you are barely able to stay up and conscious thanks to me and yet you say you’re fine. Do you even —,” he raged.

         I put a finger to his lips and instantly silenced him. Listen to me, I snapped, my patience running thin with this hard-headed idiot. I’m tired of hearing your self blame! Yes, you did nearly kill me, but you didn’t, so quit repeating yourself! I heaved a heavy sigh to calm myself before going on. The HeadMistress warned me to be careful around you, and now I can understand why. My face broke into a smile as I dropped my hand and slowly rose to my feet. Matthew was up and supporting me the instant I wobbled.

         “Clair, you do realize this could happen again … with different consequences, right?” he asked softly his breath blowing against my deaf ear.

         I know, and we’ll just have to let it come as it will, I said.

         “What if I can’t stop next time?”

         Then you’ll just have to find out how you stopped this time.

         “I don’t even know how I did it! At first I didn’t even know whose neck my fangs had sunk into. It was almost as if I’d lost my mind.”
He paused and took a mouthful of air then continued. “And then I heard your voice calling through that red wall of insanity and I was able to stop,” he whispered holding me tighter against him.

         My cheeks began to burn while my heart fluttered. Something inside me was … changing. My hands clutched his forearms as the world began spinning once more as my heart pumped my blood through my system.

         Matthew seemed to sense I was on the verge of falling into darkness. “Clair? Are you feeling ill? Do I need to take you to the Infirmary until you recover?” he questioned worriedly.

         No, I just … need to lie down, I answered.

         Wordlessly, Matthew helped me to the bed and gently laid me down. For an instant I thought I sensed a flash of red as he stared down at me, yet my mind was all messed up. I could hardly tell up from down.

         “Rest then Clair, and get better. I’ll never forgive myself if you don’t,” he murmured.

         Idiot, was my last thought before my exhausted body fell happily into the nothingness of sleep.

Matthew
I


FINALLY, I DROPPED THE BARRIER AND ALLOWED the HeadMistress to enter.

         “Idiot!” she fumed, repeating Clair’s last thought. “What in the world came over you, you stupid fool?! Do you even realize what you’ve done?”

         I looked at her, my crimson eyes questioning. Something in her tone made me feel she wasn’t talking about how I nearly killed Clair. Something else was bothering her. “And what do you mean by that?” I inquired quietly.

         “You’ve — you’ve created … well, I don’t know what you’ve made, but this could turn out to be pretty ugly,” Cooper stuttered having trouble finding the right words to describe her uneasiness. “No one has ever survived the bite of a Vamgoyle. What is this going to do to her?”

         I stared down at the sleeping Clair and wondered as well. What was this going to do to her? Would she become something like me, a crazed blood-sucking demon? Or, perhaps, something worse? But what could be worse then something like me? Someone who couldn’t control their bloodlust or venom like a real Vampire could.

         I turned from the sight of Clair and headed for the door without another word.

         “And where do you think you’re going?” the HeadMistress’s voiced called after me.

         “I’m going back to my rooms,” I replied.

         “What about Clair?”

“What about her?” I asked looking back at her.

         “What are we going to do about all this?”

         “I’ll call Míane and see if there’s anything she can do,” I finally answered. With that, I left the room.

         —“And what exactly do you think I could do for Clair?”— the Healer Unicorn’s voice inquired.

         “Can you rid her of the venom in her system?”

         She looked at me with her gold eyes as if I was an idiot. —“You think I could take that type of thing out of her? Are you stupid? No one can take Vampire venom out of anyone, not even me. If I can’t do that, how can you expect me to able to take it out of Clair?”—

         Before I was able to say anything, the bell rang and the hall filled with students heading to their evening classes. With a sigh, I forged the other direction toward my rooms, Míane close on my heels.

I. a.

THAT NIGHT I LAY IN MISERY. I wanted to crawl into the filthiest ditch and die the most painful death known to man. I didn’t deserve to live. Not after what I’d done. I’d hurt Clair, and what was worse, I’d ... enjoyed it. Even now as I thought about her blood filling my mouth and slowly traveling down my throat, my heart rate quickened.

         What was it going to do to her? The same thought kept repeating itself over and over in my numb mind. I worried what was going to happen when she finally woke. Would she wake thirsty for blood? Or was my Vampire side diminished enough by the fact that that I was the son of four generations of Vamgoyles. Did that mean that it wouldn’t do anything to Clair?

         I clung to that fact and, somehow, finally got to sleep.

         It was the presence of Linda that woke me. Never before had anyone been able to pierce the barrier I’d began to place around my rooms since I dropped my fake disguise.

         I jumped to my feet and landed in a defensive crouch. My fingers extended into claws as my crimson eyes burned. “What are you doing here?”

         “Easy Dragon Wings, I just came to talk,” she replied, her lips curving into a seductive smile.

         “Then why did you break into my rooms?”

         “Aw, come now,” she cooed. Slowly, she moved closer. Against my will my body began to relax. She stretched out her index finger and placed it on my face. I shivered under her touch. “Now, let’s just be civilized about this and no one will get hurt, all right Dragon Wings?” she whispered against my ear. I nodded. “All right then, I have a couple of tasks I need you to do for me, okay?” Again I nodded. “Good. The first thing you must do is give this to Clair and make sure she knows never to take it off no matter what. You got that?”

         “Yes,” I answered as I took the blood red heart pendant hanging from a long silver chain.

         She moved closer until our breath mingled. “The next thing you must do is when the Winter Solstice comes, you are to take Clair to the catacombs under the City in the Skye even if it’s against the wishes of your HeadMistress.”

         I nodded that I understood.

         “That’s a good boy,” she murmured patting me on the cheek. “I guess even the most fiery of beasts can be tamed by beauty,” she laughed. Suddenly, she looked in the direction of the door as if someone was coming. “One more thing,” she continued as she turned back to me. “When you wake, you’ll remember nothing of what happened this night, do I make myself perfectly clear?”

         “Of course,” I assured her quickly.

         “Good, then go back to sleep,” she commanded. And then she was suddenly gone.

         I blinked in befuddlement and shrugged, all thoughts of Linda being in my room gone. Turning, I lay back down and went to sleep without even pulling the covers up.

Clairyssah
II


I PACED THE ROOM IN A PANIC-STRICKEN state. I’d been waiting for the HeadMistress to come and get me for the last hour, and yet she still had to show herself. The morning had passed in blur the instant I woke. The first thing to happen was Matthew came flying into the room, literally. His wings were fully outstretched and his tail poised to help keep his balance. The instant he landed in front of me, he’d asked if I was okay nearly a hundred times. When I’d finally made him believe that I was, he’d held out his hand and given me the necklace I wore now and made me swear to never take it off as it gave me protection from any evil aimed at me.

         I fiddled with the pendant now and stared down at the small heart. I wondered for the hundredth time exactly why it made my own heart flutter. I dropped the charm with a sigh and continued my pacing.

         My head was filled with thoughts about what happened recently. I was worried about Mom and Dad since they had no idea what had really happened to me. I was sure the sight of the dead replica of me covered in blood would make them positive I was dead. I was desperate to go to them and tell them I was all right. I also worried about what was going to happen to me since I’d been bitten. Nothing felt different, unless of course you counted the fact that my senses seemed to be sharper. As of now I could tell that I was on the third floor of a six story building and that right below me was someone else’s rooms who liked to have an array of visitors come at different times. Above me I sensed a large room that seemed to house something with claws and heavy tails, for they were constantly dragging across the floor. It was all rather disorientating to feel everything that happened in this strange building.

         The vibrations outside my door warned me the HeadMistress was coming. I went to the entrance and pulled it open before she was able to knock.

         “I’d love to know how you knew I was here,” she muttered coming and shutting the door as I moved out of her way.

         I’m not sure how to describe it, I stated sitting on the edge of the bed.

         She sat down next to me and faced me, her earrings swinging in time to her movements. “Now, I’m sure you’re wondering why I’m here, right?”

         I nodded.

         “Well, I’ve come to tell you of some of the important events that’s going to take place in the next three months. I’m sure by now you know you’re going to attend classes here, but that includes some rules you must follow.”

         Wait a second!
I cried completely taken off guard by the turn of the conversation.

         “What? The bell for your first hour’s going to ring soon. I have to get this done before then.”

         This place ... is a ... school?
I asked my widening with surprise.

         “Yes, didn’t Matthew tell you that?”

         No.

         “Oh, well then, now you know,”
Cooper stated easily. I looked at her with indignation written across my face which she ignored. “Anyway, to continue, the first rule you must always follow is to do whatever the Professors ask of you no matter how strange it may sound. And whatever I tell you to do is law in this school. I’m the one who dishes out punishments and I’ll not go easy on you just because you happen to be an Ai’yume. As a matter of fact, this school is full of creatures you always thought existed only in fairy tales. There are Werewolves and Elves here at the Academy; it’s just how things work around here. I’ll not have any racial nonsense,” she said. “Anyway, the next rule you must follow is when you use your telepathy, you must move your mouth at the same time.”

         Am I not doing that right now?

         “No you’re not. In fact, sometimes it’s as if whatever you tend to be thinking, I start to think about as well. You have one amazing gift when comes to telepathy.”

         Is that what enables me to pretty much see everything that happening here?

         “What do you mean by that?”
she asked taken aback by my question.

         Well, it’s kind of hard to explain, I said slowly trying to find the right words to describe the strange sensation of always seeing black, yet knowing what happened all around me even if my eyes were shut. I’m not even sure if I could.

         “Well, try.”

         It’s almost as if when something moves I can sense where they are, what they look like, how far away they are from me, and practically everything there is to know about them except the colors on or near them.

         “Interesting. Is that how you’re able to see where you’re going without anyone’s help?”

         Yeah,
I answered beginning to feel uncomfortable with her piercing gaze.

         “Well, I guess I’ll have to have a long talk with you about it at some point,” she said with a smile. “Well, I guess it’s time for you to go to your new class. Are you ready?”

         As she spoke, a strange vibration centering on the wall began. It made me jump slightly. A few moments passed before I realized it was a bell ringing. What is my first class anyway?

         “Well, since we’ve got three months to master eight years worth of schooling before you move on to the Master classes, you’ll not be getting a lot of sleep from now on since your first class is with me in five minutes. So hurry up and follow me.”
With that she turned and left the room with me close on her behind.

         As we walked the halls we passed quite a few people, many who seemed like normal humans, but after a second look they proved to be something else. I tried my hardest to keep from gawking in their direction yet some of them proved so different I just couldn’t help looking at them for more than was necessary. Aside from the people, there were also animals who roamed the corridors. Sometimes when I tried to focus on one of them to better sense which shape they were in, they shifted into something completely different. One of them had at first seemed to be a cat and the next second it became a ferret and after that it was a wolf. I wondered if my senses were playing tricks on me.

         Finally, we came to the HeadMistress’s office, a place I’d never been in but already knew what was there. I easily wove around the chair, tables, and odd ends scattered in no particular order.

         “Sit,” Cooper commanded.

         I choose a bean bag next to a tall set of twin spiraling lamps. She sat across from me on the carpeted floor Indian-style. Were her chairs ever supporting her weight?

         “Now, let’s get started into the lesson. What do you know about the Magyck Community?”

         I thought back to the time Matthew and I had actually talked about it but could hardly remember what he’d said. Umm, well, I can’t really remember anything, I finally confessed after a long moment of silence.

         I wasn’t sure but I thought I sensed the HeadMistress heave a great sigh. “All right then, I guess I’ll just have to choose a starting point and go from there,” she murmured to herself. “Hmm, let’s see. Ah, guess I’ll start there.”

         I waited impatiently for her to begin.

         “The Magyck Community started back in the early 1200’s when Henry III was king of England. It began as a small group of people who felt compelled to join forces and begin a school for the magically adept. At first there were few students and teachers as there were very few who had been gifted with the ability to touch Magyck. As the years progressed and more people, not just humans mind you, found they could use Magyck, the school grew and gained the attention of the common folk. Now, you’ve got to remember that back then we didn’t know much about what we were teaching or some of things we began to experiment on so it’s no wonder some things went horribly wrong. But that’s a story for another day. Anyway, so as the years continued and more creatures joined the school, a Council was raised to control the growing number of mixed creatures who came together to learn. The Council was needed to forge treaties among the wary races since some were raised thinking others were enemies.

         “Any questions so far?”
she finally asked as she took a breather.

         Yeah, what were the creatures you keep talking about? I inquired.

         “Ah, now that is a subject that would take days to cover, days we don’t have. Now, to continue —.”

         “HeadMistress!”
a loud female voice screeched interrupting Cooper.

         “What is it Olah?”

         “It’s Professor Sorcerer Sage, Mistress, he was … murdered.”


         The room was dead silent for nearly a full minute. “What?” the HeadMistress breathed.

         Abruptly, the door was thrust open so hard it banged against the wall and made the floor vibrate. I watched as three older people, one definitely not human, entered the office at a run. “HeadMistress, something terrible has happened! Sage and his entire class has been brutally murdered!” a male voice cried.

         Cooper rose to her feet an expression of horror etched into her features. “Professor Enchanter Donal, gather the students and escort them to the Dining Hall, now!” she yelled making everyone jump. “Olah, take Clair and get her to the Hall as well, and don’t leave her side till I come and get you. And Clair, from now on you’ll be known as Clair Cooper, my niece of my deceased step-brother Jonathan, you got that?”

         I nodded numbly.

         “Good, then get going everyone!” And suddenly the three Professors and HeadMistress were gone; it was almost as if they’d never been there.

         “Follow me please,” the creature I assumed was Olah commanded. For the first time, I looked at the speaker and found myself gazing upon one of the strange shifting beings who never stayed in one form. I blinked and forced the uneasy feeling away and followed Olah out of the room.

Next Chapter 9: Killer's Invite, and Chapter 10:Killer's Intention
© Copyright 2009 Laura McConaha (alennyah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1522198-Modern-Monsters-Ch-78