*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1513101-One-of-those-nights
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Animal · #1513101
Frankie mouse experiences a bad night
I have the same bed time rituals as everybody else im sure, I check all the doors and windows are locked.all the electrical items are turned off and the alarm is set,then off to bed. well read on and and I am sure you will have had one of these experiences at one time or another let alone all in one night.

This particular night I get in to bed turn the lamp off and snuggle down then possibly one of the most annoying sounds when you are trying to sleep starts DRIP..DRIP..DRIP..DRIP the tap, i think i will ignore it and deal with it in the morning.After 10 minutes it sounds like somebody hitting the sink with a hammer so i get up deciding not to turn the lamp on so not to wake myself up to much and work my way to the the bathroom DRIP..DRI.. just as i reach the door the dripping stops!! Grr ok back to bed i walk in to the room and WHACK!!!! followed by a YEEOOOWW!!! The first noise is Me stubbing my toe on the edge of the bed the seond is the resulting scream of pain,I fall to the bed clutching my paw going through every swear word i can possibly think of through gritted teeth .

After 10 minutes the pain has gone from shooting to a dull throb then I hear it DRIP..DRIP.DRIP.DRIP ok no chances this time I turn the lamp on and put my slippers  on for extra protection and make my way back to the bathroom and there it is the hot tap merrily dripping away which is confusing as I have not used it since this morning SO WHY ON EARTH IS IT DRIPPING!!! I turn the tap as hard as I can and voila the drip stops and I make my way back to bed.

I have been in bed about 20 minutes and I am just starting to nod off when the next door neighbours decide to return home from a evening out and I hear them close the door,well I say close they close the door with such force they might aswell have fired a cannon in the living room, i shoot bolt upright which is usually followed by a WHAT  WAS THAT!!. I go to switch the lamp on when another of life mysteries occurs i cant find the lamp no matter where i put my paw I cant find it in the scramble I fall out of bed and find the lamp quite quickly...as it hits me in the back of the head!!

I can hear the neighbours laughing and talking drunkenly I look at the time 2:00am, maybe some hot chocolate and snack will help me sleep so again the lamp goes on and I go to the kitchen hmmm grilled cheese on toast sounds good. I make the hot choc and put it next to the bed and decide to lay on the bed and for some reason find myself nodding off when suddenly BEEP,BEEP,BEEP,BEEP, I jump off the bed and land next to the chest of drawers in a daze my os heart racing it is the smoke detector! OH BLIMEY THE CHEESE!!!

I run toward the kitchen and manage to trip on what I can only assume is hard air as I didnt see anything and do my best superman impression and sail in to the kitchen a slide along the vinyl floor and get stopped quite painfully by a cupboard, I quickly get up and remove the  cheese and open a window to remove the smoke, i eventually stop the smoke detector going off by jumping round with a tea towel wafting the smoke away.

Ok enough bed time, it is now 3:30am I climb in to bed turn the lamp off and snuggle when another noise is picked up by my rather large mouse ears zzzzzzz,zzz,zzz there is a fly in the room thats ok I think I can ignore a fly then zzzzZZZZZZZ the fly decides it wants to try and enter my ear time after time Grrr again out of bed and roll up a magazine right fly you have buzzed your last buzz!! So i am now chasing a fly around the hole but in a attempt to not to disturb anybody I find myself patting the fly with the magazine instead of the hard swing full on whack and when I do hit the fly i get the feeling it is Laughing at me then to add insult it lands on the cheese I have left out for breakfast tomorrow then flys out the open kitchen window which i quickly close.

It is now 4:15am again I get back in to bed I lay there for a while then slip in to a uneasy sleep....CLINK,CLINKCLINK... what now!!  Its 5am I have been sleep 45 mins CLINK,CLINK,CLINK what is that! again i get up and look out the window the suns coming up CLINK,CLINK,CLINK its getting louder?

The noise stops outside the door ok be brave Frankie I walk over to the door deep breath and quickly pull it open and CRASH!!!! the milkmouse drops all his bottles and slips over on a steady flow of milk.So I spend the next 30 minutes cleaning up spilt milk and apologising to the milkmouse and eventually get back to bed it is now  5:45am and I am out like a light.

DINGALINGALINGALING!!!! Its the alarm it cant be 7 o,clock aww it is I go to turn the alarm off but realise I have slept heavily on my arm and it is completley dead I use the weight of my body to swing my dead arm on to the alarm. Remember the hot chocolate I made? No neither did I as I hit the alarm I also hit the cup of cold chocolate which flys across the room and hits the wall smashing and spiliing everywhere, again I get out of bed and clean up the mess.

It is now 7.30am No point going to bed again so I  quickly get dressed and go out to get the paper, a cold chill is in the air aswell as the smell of burnt cheese,milk and hot chocolate. I get to the news agents and almost immediatley I am asked the stupidest question which you always get asked when you have bags under your eyes and unshaven with your hair everywhere"Hello Frankie,sleep well?
© Copyright 2009 Kris smith (kris5000 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1513101-One-of-those-nights