*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1514221-A-School-For-Goose--An-Egg-Mother-Story
by ohmy
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1514221
Childrens story of people working with animals/birds. Comedy
It was a warm Saturday when Christine and Boy decided to teach Goose how to swim. 

Goose had been raised thinking he was a chicken for his entire life, though he did look at geese when they flew overhead.  He would turn his head on the side and stare at them with one big eye.  He had long ago become too large for the hen house and his two mother hens were very grateful.  They loved him dearly, but perching between them had become perching on them before he grew too large for the door.

Christine and boy opened the gate to the yard and started walking to the pond.  Goose always follows the Egg Mother, and the hens always follow goose.
When they reached the water, boy removed his shoes and waded in, calling for goose to join him.  Goose turned his head and looked at him with one big eye;  Christine giggled because she just knew goose thought boy had lost his feet!
Christine joined boy in the shallow water and called to goose, but goose would not come.  "We will  try something else" she said, and went to carry goose.  As she reached the water with him, the mother hens ran crazy up and down the shore, cackeling at the top of their beaks!  Goose began his loud squawk in reply, and as soon as he was released, flopped to the safety of shore.  Of course, a flopping goose is as good as a shower bath.  Christine and boy laughed as they stood dripping wet. Goose walked back and forth with his big goose eye watching them.  The mother hens ran in circles around their very large son, still cackeling, as goose squawked and Christine laughed. 

Boy challenged his mom to a race up the hill to the yard, and they ran as fast as they could.  Before they were half way there, goose passed them flying!!!!  He wasn't flying high, but this was his very first time to fly!  Up the hill they went, with goose flying just ahead of them, and the hens following behind with wings flapping.

Later as they all rested on the lawn, Mother Egg reflected on the wonderful day.  She was very pleased with the first day of school for Goose.  He didn't like the water, but she and boy had taught Goose to fly!  It was a very good day.
© Copyright 2009 ohmy (ohmycats at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1514221-A-School-For-Goose--An-Egg-Mother-Story