*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1515190-Wind-Swept-Ledge
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #1515190
Standing at the edge, resiting the call..
I was fine, swear I was.. My mind was clear one moment, the next.. It was like a kick in the gut, my breath stolen from me, almost doubling me over, the only thing keeping me from falling to the ground was the wall I fell back against.. I rested there for a moment, my head thrown back, my eyes tight, keeping back the tears.. I know better.. Keep focused on the now, but memories, dreams.. they intrude, keeping me off balance.. In a moment of weakness, I’m reduced to this..

It was all I could do to push myself off the wall, steady myself, take a breath, two.. My eyes opened and I ran.. I had to see, had to know if it was there, real.. My feet took me from Old Town, to the mountain path. I stopped at the crossroads, chest heaving.. bent over, hands on my knees, cheeks damp.. I knew this place, south of here was the abyss, whose call I’ve spent so much time resisting..

I turned, looked to the north, shoulders straightening, chin lifting, jaw setting.. This was the path I wanted.. It didn’t take me long to traverse the snowy trail, my feet sure, as if I’ve been there before, but I haven’t, I’d know if I have, but still.. I stood there as the wind tore at my clothing, my cloak whipping about me.. I stood at the edge, fighting against the frigid air moving about me.. This was the place.. As dangerous to me as the abyss, calling to me.. A place of dreams, nightmares, memories..

This windswept ledge..
© Copyright 2009 drmlzard (drmlzard at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1515190-Wind-Swept-Ledge