*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1521695-The-Mason-Complex
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Novella · Relationship · #1521695
Stella meets Mason Davis on her first day of college and her life is changed forever.
                                                PROLOGUE





        "Good evening everyone, my name is Estella Fields and I want to welcome you to the Writer's Showcase," Estella said.  She looked out among the crowd of young and old faces and tried to gauge their reaction so far.  She remembered when she had sat in those very same seats years ago and looked back at the person on the stage like they would be an afterthought once the weekend had officially started.  "I was told that this was an honorable position to have.  The person to come in and speak first about how great the weekend is going to be, but I was once one of you, sitting out there, wondering if this speech was ever going to end and when would we get to the real reason we were all here for.  I, like you, once waited for my chance to speak to one of the guest speakers and see what they thought about my writing.  I also found that once you listen to their advice, ignore it all and go with your gut."  She paused for a minute so that the students that were going to gasp could get it out before she would continue.  "I have learned that no matter what people tell me, I am always a better judge of what is going to happen to my characters than anyone else is.  Keep in mind that although people may think they are trying to help, not everything they say is going to be helpful.  You must listen to yourself before taking the advice of others.  Also, listen to the most important people and that is your characters, they will always tell you what direction to take them in.  I hope you all enjoy yourselves.  I hope you get the advice that you want.  Above all, I hope that you take a little piece of this weekend away with you, even if it is only to make you a better person.  Anyone that wants to stay will hear about my newest book and get to ask questions.  That will begin in fifteen minutes.  Welcome to the 18th annual Writer's Showcase, may all you dream become a reality.  With this, you are free to leave the auditorium and venture out on your own."

        She heard the crowd clapping for her as she walked off the stage to get the copy of her book she had brought with her and a bottle of water.  She was nervous about the session she was getting ready to have.  Anywhere else she would have no problems answering any questions or reading her book out loud, but this time her surroundings intimidated her.  It was this very auditorium twelve years ago that she had decided she wanted to be a writer herself.  She remembered everything from those years and they sometimes played in her head like a sad picture show.  Being here broke her heart, but she knew she had a job to do.  She took a deep breath and stepped back onto the stage as she was being introduced.  She noticed as she stepped back up to the podium that no too many people had actually left.  It made her feel good that so many people wanted to hear her speak.

        "Thank you everyone that has decided to stay and listen to me talk.  For those of you that are new fans of mine, my name is Estella Fields, but as you know by reading my books, my pen name is Strawberry Fields.  I attended college at this very college twelve years ago.  I am twenty-nine years old, happily married and have three children.  If there is anything else  that I don't mind devulging, I will answer when those questions are asked.  Normally, I start any lecture of mine by reading a section out of my book that I have decided on, but because this is my real home, the real reason I am who I am now, I have decided to change things up.  I am going to answer questions first and then read a few different sections from the book that you choose.  Does anyone want to start asking questions?" Estella said as she looked around the room to see if anyone was brave enough to start the questioning process.  There were a lot of people shifting in their seats, too afraid to be the first one to ask, but being too antsy to want to wait long.  FInally a slim arm raised into the air and Estella pointed her out, promting the girl to ask her question.

        "Hello Ms. Fields," the girl started.  "I have read your newest book, "The Ashes of Friendship" and in it you refer to something called "The Drew Complex".  When your book first came out, there was a lot of rumors going around that the two main characters in your book were based off you and someone you knew a very long time ago.  I just wanted to know if there was any truth to the rumors and if there was, what is the real story behind your book."  Estella took a long breath.  This was a question that she had expected, she just did not think it would be first.

        "Yes, there is truth to that rumor.  "The Drew Complex" is loosely based off something my friends from college and I called "The Mason Complex".  The female in the book is based off myself and Drew is based off my best friend Mason.  The story behind "The Mason Complex" is quite involved, I just hope you have time to hear it all....."
© Copyright 2009 SkyFletcher (skyfletcher at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1521695-The-Mason-Complex