*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1522551-Hosting-a-Successful-Family-Gathering
Rated: E · Article · Comedy · #1522551
a tongue-in-cheek article with some creative ideas to try.
Hosting A Successful Family Gathering

(In spite of that embarassing relative you had to invite!)



It is imperative that you accept your embarrassing relative for who they are. You will soon be enjoying their visits to your family gatherings. Love them for their idiosyncrasies, not in spite of them. There are several fun ways to survive a visit from the loose walnut in your family tree. Please be cautious as you try some of the pointers to follow. Your goal is to learn how to deal with the embarrassment, not intentionally hurt the offending kin folk.

*The Contest*


This is a great way to ensure that your other guests do not feel uncomfortable when the embarrassing moments happen. You should be open with your friends about what they may be about to experience. Fill them in on past escapades of your relative. Now is the time to announce the contest. Each guest will be given a piece of paper. They will then choose a time and an embarrassing event that they feel your relative will perform. Inform them there will be prizes awarded at the end of the evening. You will be amazed at how fun your gathering will be. Instead of dreading the impending embarrassments, your guests will be rooting for your zany kinfolk. Please monitor this contest closely; there may be some cheaters in the room. Do not allow any unnecessary encouragement by the contestants.


*Diversionary Tactics*


Make sure you delegate important tasks to your bothersome loved one. Keeping them preoccupied and making them feel important, tends to keep embarrassing incidences to a minimum. Optimally, these tasks should involve keeping your relative separated from the rest of your friends and family. Keep a list handy of things you forgot to buy for your gathering. The moment you sense they are about to begin performing, take them aside and beg for their help. The list should consist of hard to find items. This will ensure that the loose cannon will have to visit several stores. At least one of the items you need should only be available in a specialty shop at least ten miles from your home.


*Accepting the Inevitable*

You know you are going to be embarrassed. Accepting this fact will make it easier to get through your party or visit. Sometimes your reaction is what the person is aiming for. Determine to keep a smile on your face and never let your guard down. Your will likely be watched for any signs of discomfort, this will just add fuel to the fire. If your relative knows they can get a reaction from you, they will likely pull out all the stops.


Relax and enjoy their visit. Everyone has some little quirk in their personality, and we all have at least one relative we would rather leave off our invitation list. You are not alone. Please know that there are others just like you, and right now they are planning contests and diversionary tactics on their journey to acceptance.

© Copyright 2009 Jessie May (ptty at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1522551-Hosting-a-Successful-Family-Gathering