*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1522704-The-Ruse-Emerges
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1522704
This may not have occurred to folks.
                The Ruse Emerges
            I sometimes find myself listening to public radio,
Usually when the classical station is playing  Opera’s from Disney film soundtracks.
Sometimes when I’m in someone else’s vehicle and they have the inclination.
More often than not they are doing a campaign drive to generate their operational  costs.
In one breath they’re asking you to contribute to “member supported radio”
In the next they’re thanking some giant multinational oil company,
Practically singing the corporation’s trade marked catch phrase.
“Even bad press is good press” and hence I refuse to give you an actual example.
I’m sure even the words “oil company” are triggering your own adverts for them right now,
         My close friend turned me onto this site, I love to write and critique others,
I was excited to find a free membership available, and quickly ,made new friends,
Whilst reading my friend’s beautiful poem about  watching the “Beatles” on T.v. as a child.
I Noticed that beneath her poems title was an advertisement,
She pays more to this site than most donate monthly to National Public Radio.
Sounds like the same deal as our national health care system.
          This however has entered into a new realm of disgusting .
There are plenty of other advertisements flashing at the sides and bottom of the screen,
Though  this one uses a search engine to match up the ad to your poems title!
Her poem, was being used royalty free to advertise for “Beatles Memorabilia on Ebay.”
Her Poem called “Missing the Bus” describes her nostalgia for the sixties , her childhood dream, is paired with “Haight Ashbury Tours.”
“Prayer Vigil in a nursing home”  is about an elderly woman  and a toy doll,
This was matched to an ad about providing  “affordable health care for children.”
Another poem “Uncle Paul’s Voice” about her deceased father, advertised a Funeral home!
         Words do not exist that can express my contempt for these heartless despicable creatures. I have encountered  phlegm that I  deem more useful to humanity
Ironically my poor friend paid for her membership, What did she pay for?
She paid to be insulted and to have her most sacred offerings to her community defiled by those who would make a profit.
         I have decided to take down all my posts except this one, this one they can keep,
They may use it to reveal themselves as the  grotesque purveyors of this disgusting behavior.
One that Is ( thankfully) destined to be destroyed by the new human paradigm to come,
Let every corporate match that contacts this poem be cursed, and every one involved in the facilitation of such dastardly deeds be doomed  to a life devoid of meaning or  fulfillment.

Thanks for the critiques
            I can see how my poem was unclear, I feel like what I failed to communicate effectively is that my friend (who has a premium membership) doesn't see the advertisements that get connected to her poetry. She also doesn't see any of the money that the advertisers pay the site when they use her poetry (royalty free)to link their products to her work. Also the site doesn't offer any cash prizes but instead offers virtual prizes. Just for everyone's information a domain name costs 20 bucks a year and a server costs 6 bucks a month. This sites maintenance is mostly done by it's users for example the contests and personal portfolios are the bulk of what the site contains. So almost all the ad revenue and membership dues are going straight into the pockets of those who started this site and I think that is a shame, because it's the users content that makes the site.
© Copyright 2009 Thimble wit (thimble_wit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1522704-The-Ruse-Emerges