*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1524640-In-His-Eyes
by Jester
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1524640
Love story between Christopher and Nelly whose life is filled with Tragedy
In His Eyes
2/4/09
9998 ( I barely made it :P )

“Class, we have a new student today,”  Mrs. Ledbetter said as soon as she walked into the class.  “Go ahead and introduce yourself.”  She urged on. 

“Hello,” she paused briefly to scan the room.  “My name is Nelly.  Nelly Allgaier.  Nice to meet you all.”  She said elegantly. 

It was worse than she expected.  Eighteen country bumpkin kids stared at her in amusement as she introduced herself, unable to hide the look of disgust on her face.  She has only been here for 5 minutes and she already missed her old classroom. 

“Nelly has moved here all way from Fayetteville so everyone please be extra kind to her so she won’t be so homesick.”  Mrs. Ledbetter spoke as soon as Nelly has finished introducing herself.  “Why don’t you have a seat next to Christopher?”  she directed.  “Christopher raise your hand.”

“Yes ma’am.”  Christopher said eagerly raising his hand. 

The classroom was small, only half the size of her old classroom, just big enough to hold twenty students at the most.  If one more student transferred to this classroom they would meet their full capacity. 

“Hi, I’m Christopher.”  The eager boy introduced after wiping his nose. 

“I know…”  Nelly spoke rolling her eyes.  She wouldn’t dare shake his outstretched hands.  “Mrs. Ledbetter already pointed you out.” 

Nelly then proceeded to sit down where her chair squeaked loudly turning the attention of the entire class back to her.  She blushed gently while making sure to divert her eyes succeeding in avoiding eye contact. 

“Now class, let’s procede with our lesson plans.”  Mrs. Ledbetter intervened after hearing a few chuckles coming from the students.  “Open your books to page 32.”

Nelly bent down to open her book bag to grab her newly purchased spelling book when her chair moaned once again making that moment the most embarrassing of her life. 

“I should have warned you.”  Christopher whispered leaning as far as he can towards her. 

“What?”  Nelly replied a bit confused about his comment.

“About that chair.  I should’ve warned you that it’s noisy.”  Christopher answered. 

Nelly quickly diverted her eyes back to her book bag refusing to make eye contact.  “Don’t worry about it.”  She said quietly, her eyes fixed on page 32. 

“I’ll try to do better next time.”  Christopher whispered again. 

“No, really.  Don’t worry about it.”  Nelly insisted.  “I’ll figure things on my own.” 

“Well, alright.”  Answered Christopher refusing to allow her the last words.   

“I want you guys to write all the words on this page 5 times each.”  Mrs. Ledbetter instructed. 

Nelly reached into her book bag to grab her pencil making smallest amount of movements as possible keeping the moaning of her chair to bare minimum.  She proceeded to follow Mrs. Ledbetter’s instructions. 

“You have a pretty handwriting.”  Christopher whispered again not minding his own business.  “It curves and swivels.”  He added. 

Nelly ignored him and continued to write the words. 

“Did they teach you that at your old school?”  Christopher asked. 

‘Just continue to write.  He’ll stop talking eventually.’  Nelly thought to herself. 

“That’s how my mom writes.”  Christopher kept on.  “She has fancy handwriting like you.” 

‘Synonym.’  Nelly thought to herself as she wrote the word.

“It’s like your drawing your words.”  Christopher continued. 

“It’s called cursive.”  Nelly interrupted finally getting tired of his talking. 

“Well whatever it’s called it sure is pretty.”  Christopher replied. 

“Shouldn’t you be writing too?”  Nelly asked trying to keep Christopher from talking. 

“Oh, I am.”  Christopher showed.  “I can talk and write at the same time.  My mom said I’m good at multitasking.”  He bragged. 

‘Big word for a country bumpkin.’  Nelly thought to herself. 

“Can you multitask?”  Christopher asked.

Nelly ignored him and continued to write taking her time to write each word as pretty as she could. 

“I can do like 3 things at the same time.”  Christopher whispered once again. 

“Mrs. Ledbetter?”  Nelly spoke raising her hands.  “I don’t think some of us are writing as we should be.” 

“Christopher, leave Nelly alone and focus on your work.”  Mrs. Ledbetter instructed understand Nelly’s hint. 

“Yes ma’am.”  Christopher answered embarrassed.  Nelly could hear the scribble of his pencil as she focused back onto her paper. 

“I can’t believe you told on me.”  Christopher said after only waiting a few brief moments. 

“That’s cause you’re distracting me from my work.”  Nelly spoke harshly clearly annoyed. 

“Fine, I’ll let you draw your words.”  Christopher agreed. 

It didn’t take her very long to finish her work.  It was just writing, easy enough to do.  As Nelly waited for Mrs. Ledbetter further instructions, she took the time to clearly assess the classroom.  It was a pretty worn down room.  The boards on the floor had already begun to bend and showed signs of wear from years of use.  None of the desks and chairs matched like they did back at her old school.  In fact they looked as though they might have been the same desks and chairs from when Mrs. Ledbetter, who looked to be in her fifties, was a student.  The room smelled of mold and musk probably due to a lack proper hygiene.  Nelly then noticed a girl with matted hair scratching her head as if she was digging for gold. 

“That’s Rosaline.”  Christopher interrupted following Nelly gaze.  “Her dad is a button salesman down the street.  They don’t do well.” 

“You really should mind your own business.”  Nelly scolded Christopher. 

“Ahh, that’s what everyone says.”  Christopher moaned.  “And you shouldn’t stare at others.” 

That very moment Rosaline’s eyes met Nelly’s causing Nelly to divert her eyes quickly to keep Rosaline from noticing her. 

“It’s too late.  She already saw you.”  Christopher said knowing Nelly intentions. 

“Shh!”  Nelly hushed. 

“Is there a problem?”  Mrs. Ledbetter asked stretching her neck. 

“No ma’am.”  Christopher answered quickly almost as if he was expecting her. 

“Then please focus on your work.”

The day could not have lasted longer.  All the class materials were outdated and Christopher never stopped talking.  It was enough to drive Nelly insane.  When the bell finally rang signaling the end of the school day, Nelly bolted to the door giving a quick glance over at Mrs. Ledbetter to say bye.  But when she hurried to the parking lot her father’s car was no where to be seen. 

“Do you have a problem with the way I look?”  An unfamiliar voice asked.

“What?”  Nelly turned around unfocused still looking for her father’s car. 

“I said do you have a problem with me?”  The voice asked again.  It was Rosaline, her eyes burning with anger.  “I saw you stare at me.”

“Oh, no.”  Nelly answered apologetically.  “I was just thinking about something earlier and just happen to glance in your direction.”  Nelly explained herself. 

“I know what you were thinking.  You were thinking you’re better than me cause you wear a fancy dress and pretty shoes.”  Rosaline accused. 

“No, I wasn’t thinking that at all.”  Nelly explained herself.  “I swear.”

A crowd of kids began to gather sensing a fight about to break loose. 

“Don’t lie to me.”  Rosaline said as she gave Nelly a shove. 

“No I really wasn’t.”  Nelly begged.

“She wasn’t!”  Christopher intervened.  “She was just admiring your pretty gold necklace.” 

Christopher had made his way through the crowd and between Nelly and Rosaline blocking all confrontation between the two. 

“She told me so herself.”  Christopher said convincingly. 

“Well…”  Rosaline said suddenly lost for words.  “Tell her not to stare at me anymore.”  She said before she stormed off. 

“Will do!”  Christopher yelled out waving Rosaline goodbye. 

With few ‘Ahh’s and Man’s’ the crowd dispersed as fast as it was formed. 

“Don’t worry about her.”  Christopher said breaking the silence.  “Rosaline has lots of problem back home.  She’s just like that without her father around.” 

“Thank you.”  Nelly said to Christopher after few brief moments as he was walking away.

“Don’t mention it.  I’ll see you tomorrow at school.”  Christopher called out as he ran toward a group of kids walking away from school. 

“How was your first day?”  Asked Nelly’s father when he finally showed up to take Nelly back to her home. 

“Terrible and you were late!”  Nelly griped.

Nelly was much more pleasant with Christopher the following day.  Though it still bothered her that he talked so much, he still had a lot of small useful information involving their daily lives in school.  Christopher seemed to be friends with everyone in class and even had few dirty details about Mrs. Ledbetter’s personal life. 

“Mrs. Ledbetter has been spending the nights in Principal Gullings’ home for the past month.”  Christopher gossiped.  “But she never shows up until after dark and leaves before sunrise.” 

“Why?”  Nelly asked intrigued. 

“To kiss.”  Christopher continued.  “And see each other in nude from what I could see.” 

“Have you kissed anyone before?”  Nelly asked curious. 

“Nope.”  Christopher answered quickly.  “Never wanted to.”

It was surprising to Nelly how quickly Christopher grew on her.  She began to look forward to coming to school and seeing Christopher’s smiling face.  She even started walking to and from school with Christopher.  Though he lived on the opposite side of the town he was always waiting for her before school and walked her back home after. 

Being friends with Christopher felt natural.  It also made it easy for her to become friends with the other students in her class.  Before she knew it, Nelly was happy and 3 years passed by.

“Get up Nelly.”  Her mother gently woke her pulling the curtain from the window.  “It’s time for school.” 

“Already?”  Nelly asked groggily. 

“Yes, now hurry up and get dressed.  Breakfast will be ready in 30 minutes.”  Her mother answered. 

Nelly moaned in protest and slowly got out of bed. 

“Mom did you dry my blue dress?”  Nelly asked yelling across the hallway.

“Yes dear.”  She answered from the next room.  “It’s in your closet.” 

Nelly made her way to her dresser and sat in front of her mirror.  She then fumbled through her drawers to find her brush and begin to work the kinks out of her hair.  Her blond hair had gotten so long and beautiful that it had become the envy of all girls in school.  It looked just like her mother’s. 

“Now where is that dress.”  She said to herself when she was finally finished with her hair. 

The dress was sky blue and fell just below her knees.  It made her blue eyes pop, making her more radiant than she already was.  It had a white ribbon that wrapped around her waist giving her what her mother called a womanly figure.  Nelly’s dad bought it for her for such occasion as this.  First day of her 9th grade year. 

She has grown into a quite a looker if she didn’t say so herself.  Her breasts had gotten larger than most girls in her age but not uncomfortably so.  Her legs were slimming easily complimenting her butt.  No boys could deny a glance when she walked past them. 

“Nelly, you’re going to be late for school.”  Her mother called out again.

“Coming.”  Nelly called out doing a quick turn in front of her mirror before running down stairs to the dining room. 

“Morning, dad,” She said charmingly. 

“Good morning baby doll.”  Her dad answered.  “Well, don’t you look beautiful.”  He said looking up from the morning newspaper. 

“Thank you.”  She said giving him a quick kiss on the cheek.

“Hurry up and eat your breakfast.”  Her mother urged.  “You don’t want to make Christopher wait up for you everyday again this year.” 

“It’s a man’s role to wait for a beautiful girl.”  Nelly said spoiled.  “Isn’t that right?”  Nelly asked her dad.

“Of course it is.”  Her dad answered.  “Any boy will be lucky to have to wait for my baby girl.” 

“Sometimes, I don’t know what to do with you two.”  Her mother spoke rolling her eyes. 

“Nelly?  Mr. and Mrs. Allgaier?”  Christopher asked from the front porch. 

“Well, speak of the devil.”  Nelly’s mom answered.  “Come on in Christopher.  The door is opened.”  She called out.

“Good morning.”  Christopher said with his usual cheerfulness.  “Something smells delicious.”  Christopher said pausing briefly as if he could literally catch the scent with his nose.    “Is that your famous cinnamon roll I smell?”  Christopher asked. 

“Yes it is Christopher.”  Nelly’s mom answered.  “Would you like one?” 

“No thank you.  I’ve already had breakfast with my father this morning though if I knew you were baking your cinnamon roll I would’ve skipped breakfast and told my father to stop by the diner for his breakfast.”  Christopher answered. 

“Has your father not found anyone special yet?”  Nelly’s mom asked curious.

“No ma’am.  I think he still misses mom too much to find someone yet.”  Christopher answered politely. 

“It must be hard for your father to take care of you all by himself.”  Nelly’s father said not breaking his glance from the newspaper. 

“Oh, Christopher does all the work around the house anyways.”  Nelly answered.  “We don’t even get to hang out all that much lately since he started to work part-time at the shop.”  Nelly complained. 

“Haha, well I need to help out with my father anyway that I can.”  Christopher answered. 

“That’s damn fine of you to do so.”  Nelly’s father said still not breaking his gaze.

“Thank you sir.”  Christopher answered.  “Anyway, Nelly you ready to go?  We’re going to be late for school again if you’re not.”  Christopher complained. 

“I’m ready.”  Nelly teased. 

“You haven’t had your breakfast yet.”  Nelly’s mom complained. 

“Well I don’t have time.”  Nelly answered. 

“At least have your orange juice.”  Nelly’s mom asked. 

“Fine mother.”  Nelly complained. 

It was sunny as usual, a bit chilly but not cold.  Bad days rarely came in Harrison. 

“Another beautiful day huh?”  Christopher asked rhetorically. 

“Yeap, it sure is.”  Nelly said kissing Christopher cheek quickly.  “But not as beautiful as me right?”  she asked. 

“Of course not.  Nothing ever is.”  He answered warmly.  “You look beautiful by the way.”  He added.

“Why thank you.”  Nelly said suddenly bursting with cheer.  “I got these shoes just for this dress too.”  She spun as she showed off her white flats. 

“Well you better be careful or you’ll dirty them.”  Christopher warned. 

“Now you sound like my mom.”  Nelly teased. 

School was nothing unusual, just the same old topics in the same old squeaky chair and same old wobbly desks.  The only thing new was Mr. Franklin, the new 9th grade teacher.

‘It’s going to be another great year.’  Nelly thought to herself at the end of day.  The past 3 years of her life were some of her happiest.

“I need to head straight over to the shop.”  Christopher said to Nelly as they were walking away from the school.  “They have a new car in that needs to be worked on and they really need my help.”  Christopher added. 

“Aww, again?”  Nelly complained.  “We don’t get to see each other anymore.” 

“I know, I’m sorry.”  Christopher apologized.  “I’ll come by later tonight when I get off work.”  He promised.  “Wait for me?” 

“Of course, I will.”  Nelly answered giving Christopher a quick kiss on his lips.  “Don’t make me wait too long.”  She begged.

“I won’t.”  He answered. 

As Christopher was walking away, Nelly admired him from the distance.  She must have been the luckiest girl in town she thought.  He was growing into a fine man.  Since they’d became a couple a year and half ago she noticed his dark brown hair becoming fuller and his shoulders becoming wider.  He was just a couple inches taller than her now and didn’t seem like he was going to stop growing anytime soon.  Also since beginning of their 8th grade year he began to mature a lot quicker than the other boys stopping his boyish pranks and gossips.  This made him far more attractive to Nelly’s eyes. 

“Nelly?”  Mr. Franklin called out from school before she could leave the campus. 

“Yes.”  She answered.

“Telephone.  It sounds urgent.” 

“I’ll be right there.”  Nelly answered glancing back at fading Christopher before she ran back into school to answer the telephone. 

“Hello?”  She asked.

“Nelly?”  A distraught voice said the other side. 

“Mom?  Is everything ok?”  She asked. 

“It’s your father.  He’s been in an accident.”  Nelly’s mom answered. 

A sudden chill ran down Nelly’s spine.  Her stomach dropped as she lost the function of her hands, dropping the receiver. 

“Nelly, Nelly?  Can you hear me?”  Nelly’s mom demanded. 

“Are you ok?”  Mr. Franklin asked.  “You look pale.” 

“Hello?”  Nelly’s mom continued from the other side of the telephone.  “Nelly?  Can you hear me?”

“No, I don’t think she can answer you right now.”  Mr. Franklin said picking up receiver.  “Yes, I’ll tell her.  In fact I’ll take her over there right now.”  He said before hanging up the phone. 

“Nelly?  I’m going to take you to the hospital.”  Mr. Franklin said slowly mouthing each and every word.  “I’m very sorry.”  He added. 

Nelly couldn’t even remember leaving the school.  She was shaking uncontrollably when suddenly she was embraced by her mother breaking her trance. 

“Mom?”  She asked suddenly coming to her senses.  “Is dad ok?”

“I don’t know honey.”  Nelly’s mom answered clearly more disturbed than Nelly was.  “He’s in the ER right now.” 

The wait seemed to last forever.  A few hours after Nelly arrived at the hospital, Christopher after hearing the news, left work early to come to the hospital to console Nelly and her mom.  There the three of them were later joined by Christopher’s father until the next morning. 

“Mrs. Allgaier?”  The doctor asked. 

“Yes, how’s my husband?”  She asked impatiently. 

“I’m sorry.”  The doctor answered after waiting for what seemed like forever.  “He died on the operating table.” 

The news hit Nelly like a two by four.  It blindsided her and she saw lights in her eyes.  Her head began to spin and she couldn’t keep her balance any more.

“Nelly, I got you.”  Christopher said catching her just before she lost her balance.  “I’m so sorry.”

Nelly’s mom fell to her knees as if someone took the legs from under her and begin to sob softly. 

“I’m so sorry.”  Christopher repeated. 

The next few days were gloomy.  Nelly didn’t feel like going to school or doing anything.  She even refused to see Christopher when he stopped by to visit.  It wasn’t until the funeral that Nelly saw Christopher. 

“It’s actually raining.”  Nelly said blankly without any expression.  “It’s been awhile since it rained huh?’  She asked. 

“Are you ok?”  Christopher asked ignoring her conversation. 

“Why are the other students here?”  Nelly asked seeing Rosaline walking up to her.  Rosaline grew to be a beautiful girl now.  Her matted hair was combed out and she was clean.  She grew lean and though not possessing natural beauty like Nelly, she possessed different sort of beauty that came with maturity.  Rosaline’s new look was thanks largely to her dad getting remarried.  Back in 6th grade, Rosaline had to take care of her father and the house after her mother’s death just before Nelly moved to Fayetteville which left her no time to take care of herself. 

“They’re all just worried about you.”  Christopher answered.  “They’re your friends after all.  That’s what friends do.” 

“Well I don’t their pity.”  Nelly hissed.  “It’s not like they understand me.” 

“They still want to be here for you like I do.”  Christopher consoled.

“I don’t want them here!”  Nelly snapped.  “I don’t want you here.  You still have your dad.” 

“Yes but I don’t have a mother.”  Christopher answered calmly. 

“Yeah, you never had her.  So you’ll never know just how it feels to lose her.”  Nelly screamed. 

“Yes, you’re right.  I’m sorry.”  Christopher agreed after few brief silent moments.  “I’ll leave you alone.”  He said before walking away. 

“You shouldn’t talk to Christopher that way.”  Rosaline said after witnessing the entire episode. 

“Oh what do you know?”  Nelly argued. 

The rain continued to fall even heavier than before.  It made the scent of grass stronger and all the dust in the air settled.  Small glimpse of sunlight was still visible in the distance while all sounds were muffled out by the sound of the rain falling on Nelly and Rosaline’s umbrella. 

“Do you remember this gold necklace from your first day of school here?”  Rosaline spoke finally breaking the silence between them.  “Do you?”  Rosaline waited for Nelly’s reply.

“Yes, I do.”  She answered.  “What does that have to do with this?”  Nelly asked.

“Well, it was my mother’s.”  Rosaline answered.  “I don’t know if you’ve heard or not but my mother passed away just couple months before you moved here.”  She continued.  “I was hurt and terribly lost during those day.” 

“So?”  Nelly asked.  “You’re going to tell me that I’ll get over it one day.”

“No, actually as long as I can tell it’s going to hurt for the rest of your life.”  Rosaline answered. 

“Thanks.  What a relief.  I’m glad we had this talk.”  Nelly cut her off.

“Wait, listen till the end.”  Rosaline begged.  “It was during that time while I was crying alone at the back of the school.”  She continued.  “Christopher just happened have found me.”  She said.  “And if you remember I was a mess back then.”  She waited until she saw that Nelly was interested.  “While none of the other kids talked to me, Christopher came straight up and asked how I was doing.  I was rude and told him the same thing that you told him just a little while ago.  I vented.  I let all my anger out on him.” 

Rosaline paused for a brief moment to gather her thoughts.  She looked as though she could see it with her eyes. 

“He waited till I was completely finished.”  Rosaline continued.  “Then he said something that made me look at him in a whole new perspective.” 

Nelly was definitely intrigued now. 

“With tear filled eyes he said ‘You’re right I have no idea how it feels to lose someone important as a mom.  I can’t begin to act as if I understand your pain.  But on the other hand you have no idea what kind of pain comes from the loneliness of never having that someone.  I sometimes have lunch with Mrs. Longing…”  Rosaline stopped.  “She was our 3rd grade teacher.”  She added.  “He continued on saying ‘and I think to myself, if my mom was alive would it feel like this if I was having lunch with her.  Just like your pain won’t go away, neither will mine.  In a weird way we’re on the same boat.  So cut me some slack.  Smile and try to be cheerful.  If not for you, do it for those for that love you.’”  Rosaline finished.  “I could never look at him the same way anymore.  He’s been dealing with the pain and loneliness all by himself and he’s been acting cheerful for his father’s sake, for our sakes, for everyone else’s sake but his.  I then I knew that he understood my pain.”

Nelly was silent.  She couldn’t find the words. 

“I love him.”  Rosaline broke in all of sudden.  “I love him more than you.  But he doesn’t love me.  He may actually love you.  So treat him right or I’ll do everything in my power to take him away from you.  I swear it.”  She finished before she walked away.  “By the way, I know I’m not the only one.” 

By the time the moon was hanging high the rain had completely stopped.  There was still that fresh scent of the summer rain and the sound of crickets quietly playing their instruments that filled night air.  Nelly could still hear her mom restlessly cleaning away in the house.  She always did that when she was restless. 

“Nelly?”  She heard a voice say.

“Christopher?  Is that you?”  Nelly asked. 

“Yeah, it’s me.  I came to apology.”  He said. 

“No, it’s me who should apology.”  Nelly interrupted.  “I was just overwhelmed with emotion and anger until I eventually snapped.  The worst part is that I let it all out on you.  I’m sorry.”  She apologized. 

“Don’t worry about it.”  Christopher answered.  “I should’ve said more consoling words.  I just stupidly repeated I’m sorry.” 

“You’re sorry and I’m sorry.”  She interrupted him again.  “Do you just want to call it even?”

“Yeah, that’ll be nice.”  Christopher answered.  “I better get back before my dad finds out that I’m gone.  See you in school tomorrow?”  He asked.

“I’m not sure if I’m ready yet to go back school.”  Nelly replied.  “But please come by and see me tomorrow.”  She begged.

“Of course.  See you tomorrow.”  And he was off. 

Money was scarce since the death of her father.  Nelly’s mom began to work at the local convenient store and Nelly picked up a job at the diner.  Nelly couldn’t afford to buy beautiful dresses anymore in fact she sold many of her dresses for some extra money around the house. 

“I’m sorry Nelly.”  Her mother said after selling the bulk of her dresses.  “I wish it didn’t have to be this way.”  She added. 

“Don’t worry about it mom.”  She answered cheerfully.  “I was growing out of them anyways.  With my work at the diner and all I don’t have all that much need for dresses anymore.”  She reassure her mom. 

“Only if your father was alive.”  Nelly’s mom began to sob. 

“Mom, it’s alright.  Don’t cry.” 

That year wasn’t such typical year any more.  It was the hardest year of Nelly’s life.  She had to work for everything that her and her mother owned.  They couldn’t afford to have any luxuries.  Even her grades in school begin to fall.  Once a straight A student, Nelly has become just an average student in a small town.  By the time Nelly’s senior year arrived all of her hopes of going to college were forgotten.  She couldn’t bare to leave her mother alone anyway. 

Christopher on the other hand was excelling.  Somehow he managed to juggle his work at the shop, his school work, and taking care of his father.  He was even offered a scholarship to a lucrative college after entering the regional science fair where he presented his modified Hydrogen Peroxide Reaction Chamber which made a rocket more powerful and giving it the ability to travel farther.  By the time Prom had approached, Christopher had accepted the offer and was preparing to go to college.  Nelly refused to talk of it.  Instead, she turned her attention to prom by volunteering what little free time she had to head the Prom Committee.  It was her means to run from her problems. 

“I’m not sure if I’m going anyways.”  Nelly protested when Christopher asked her to prom.  “I can’t afford to buy a dress for it.  But I’m making up for it by heading the committee.”  She said.  “That way at least I’ll have a small part in prom.” 

“I’ll buy you a dress.”  Christopher protested.  “You can’t just not go to your senior prom.”

“It’s not that big of deal anyways.”  Nelly argued.  “It’s just a dance.  Couples get dressed up, dance a little, and most of them lose their virginity.” 

Suddenly Christopher blushed and turned away from Nelly. 

“Wait, is that why you want me to go so badly?”  She teased.  “Cause sex?”

“No, that not it at all.”  Christopher argued.  “You’re my girl so I want you to go to prom with me.”

“Listen Christopher, we’ve been together for a while now.”  Nelly explained.  “If you want we can just skip the whole prom deal and have sex.”  Nelly said cheaply.

“That’s not what I meant at all.”  Christopher continued.  “How can you say it so casually anyways.”

The conversation angered Christopher more than he had ever been before at Nelly.  Before she could say anything else Christopher stormed off and refused to talk to her for next few days. 

“Honey, go talk to him”  Nelly’s mom insisted.  “He’s going to go off to college so you may not see him for awhile.” 

“I know.”  Nelly agreed.  “I just don’t know what to say.”

“Tell him you’ll go to prom with him.”  Nelly’s mom suggested.  “It’s obviously a big deal to him.” 

“But I don’t have a dress to wear.”  Nelly argued. 

“We’ll think of something.  Let’s worry about that later.” 

Cooling off Christopher’s anger was a lot harder than Nelly had originally anticipated.  He refused to say a single word to her for few more days and during that time Nelly had apologized countless times.  To add fuel to the fire, all the senior girls who weren’t dating caught a wind of Christopher’s lack of prom date.  This situation caused many love confessions and borderline stalking.  This made it even harder for Nelly to find time to have a sincere talk with Christopher.  It took a drastic measure to get Christopher alone.  Nelly had to sneak out of her house and into Christopher’s room while he slept.

“I’m sorry.”  Nelly spoke finally getting him alone.  “I didn’t mean to upset you.”  She explained.  “It’s just that with prom approaching, the date to your departure is getting even closer.  I’m really scared of losing you.”  She confessed. 

“I told you.”  Christopher said breaking his vow of silence.  “I might not be able to come back often but I’ll definitely come back for you.”  Christopher reassured.  “I can’t just leave you here to be now can I?  Plus, my dad will still be here.  I need someone to keep tabs on him.”  Christopher teased. 

“Oh please.  That’s the only reason you’ll stay with me.”  Nelly replied.  “So you’re not mad at me?”

“Do I have a date to prom?”  Christopher answered with a question of his own.

“Yes you do if you’ll have me.”  Nelly replied. 

“Of course I will.”  Christopher answered.  “Though I feel like our roles have been switched.”  He teased. 

“Thanks.”  She kissed him deeply.  His lips were warm against hers.  It had only been few days but she missed him dearly.  She suddenly let go of all her reservations and threw her arms around him holding him tightly refusing to let him go.  Her lips and his met again, harder this time.  She felt his tongue separate her lips and slip into her mouth.  There it wrestled hastily with hers. 

“Mmm…”  She moaned as they exchange breathes. 

She couldn’t fight it any longer.  In just a few moments she threw herself at Christopher and he accepted her deeply, hastily, and gently all at the same time.  There she embraced him harder than she has ever done before.  They tangled under the covers of his twin size bed until they were no longer able to breath.  When the whole ordeal was finished both of them exhausted. 

“I love you.”  Christopher said for the first time in the seven years they had been together.  “I’m sorry it took me so long to say it.”  He apologized. 

“Don’t worry about it.”  She answered.  “You know I love you.”

Decorating for prom wasn’t too difficult.  Being such a small school with only 23 seniors graduating the gym was easily transformed into a dance floor with very little time and effort.  Due to the nonexistence of any news worthy story, the entire town was talking about prom just a few days before the event. 

“Today’s the day.”  Nelly’s mom ringed.  “Are you excited?”  She asked. 

“Umm no.  I still don’t know what I’m going to do about the dress.”  Nelly grumbled.  This was a serious problem.  Though she had agreed to go to the prom with Christopher she had nothing to wear.

“How about this?”  Nelly’s mom asked.

“What is that?”  Nelly asked astonished.  Nelly’s mom held a beautiful long white gown that flowed down to a small train with pearls accenting the bodice.  It was sleeveless with sweetheart neckline. It was prettiest dress that Nelly had ever seen.  It was prettier than anything that she had ever owned in the past. 

“This was my wedding gown.”  Nelly’s mom answered.  “I’ve been working on it for the past couple weeks, adjusting it so it’ll fit you and be more suitable attire for the event.”

“Mom…”  Nelly said with tears filled eyes.  “I can’t accept this.  It’s your wedding dress.  You wore this when you married dad.”  She protested. 

“It’s already yours. I wouldn’t be able to wear it now even if I wanted to.”  Nelly’s mom answered.  “Plus I think if your dad was here he would love to have seen you in this.” 

“Mom…”  Nelly said again unable to say anything else.  She was crying now.

“Now don’t cry or you’ll make me cry.”  Nelly’s mom argued with tears flowing down her face.  It took a good 30 minutes for the two of them to stop crying. 

“Go try it on so I can make few last minute adjustments.”  Nelly’s mom instructed. 

“Yes ma’am.”  Nelly answered. 

The time for prom could not come any slower.  It took all day for Nelly to clean herself off, fix her hair, put on her make up, put on the dress, and be ready to meet Christopher.  Nelly felt rushed and she cursed that there wasn’t 48 hours in a day. 

“Hello ma’am.”  She heard Christopher’s voice down stairs.  “Is she about ready?”

“You look very handsome Christopher.”  Nelly’s mom complimented.  “You’ll probably have to wait for her for a little while.  You know how she is.”

“Haha I guess she’ll never change huh?”  Christopher joked with Nelly’s mom. 

“Haha, no.  She won’t.  I blame it completely on her father.”  Nelly’s mom joked back.  “Nelly?  Christopher is here.  Don’t make him wait too long.”  She called out to her. 

“I’m almost done.  I’ll be right down.”  Nelly replied.

She looked at herself in her mirror as she used to.  It has been so long since she had a reason to dress up.  She glanced in the mirror, studying herself very carefully.  She looked like a bride.  She felt her tears welling up in her eyes so she had to look away quickly so she wouldn’t ruin her make up. 

“Don’t cry, don’t cry, don’t cry.”  She kept repeating to herself. 

When she finally calmed herself, she glanced back at the mirror one last time and let out a huge sigh before she started down the stairs. 

“Oh, my Gosh.”  She heard her mother say.  “Nelly, honey, you look gorgeous.  Don’t you think so Christopher?”  She asked. 

Nelly’s glance went straight toward Christopher trying to read his reaction but instead of replying to Nelly’s mom’s question he stood there motionless.  Speechless. 

“Christopher?”  Nelly broke his attention.  “What do you think?”  She asked curiously. 

“I don’t know.”  He answered.  “Words can’t describe how beautiful you look right now.”  He continued to stare at her bedazzled by her beauty. 

“Christopher, the corsage.”  Nelly’s mom nudged Christopher to remind him.

“Oh yeah.  That’s right.”  He said still under Nelly’s spell.  “Here you go.” 

“Thank you.”  Nelly replied.  “It’s beautiful.”

“Nothing is as beautiful as you.”  Christopher answered.  “Shall we go?” 

“Yeah.  Let’s go.” 

The night was magical.  From the moment her and Christopher showed up on the dance floor all eyes were on them.  They truly looked like Prince and Princess from a fairy tale.  The band that Nelly barely managed to put together for the Prom played beautifully allowing everyone to dance to their heart’s content. 

“If we had Prom King and Queen… It would definitely be you guys.”  one of the boys in their class named Billy leaned in and said on the dance floor.  “No contest.”  He flashed smile before whisking his freshmen dance partner away. 

“Thank you for convincing me to come.”  Nelly thanked Christopher.  “It wasn’t for you, I would’ve completely missed this.”

“I wouldn’t have come without you either so thanks for coming with me.”  Christopher answered.  “You’re the best.”  He said with a wink.

“Hahahahaha.”  Nelly busted into laughter.  “I love you.”  She wrapped her arms around him and held on tighter.  The music continued as they danced under the spot light. 

The Prom was over too soon.  No one wanted to leave.  Even after the band had stopped playing and the light were turned off most students continued on and danced under the star light on their own.  But soon even that was ended with cheerful greeting from the sun.  Soon everyone went their separate ways and Christopher and Nelly’s senior year was finished. 

“It came and went too fast.”  Nelly complained.

“I know.”  Christopher agreed. 

Before they knew it, it was time for Christopher to head to college.  It was hard time for Nelly.  She waited up for his call everyday.  The sight of the postman excited her due the prospect of Christopher’s mail being included in his delivery.  But as time went on Nelly realized that Christopher was entirely too busy.  He didn’t have time to talk with her on the phone or write her a lengthy mail.  His time was devoted into his studies. 

The following summer Christopher did travel back to spend his summer with her and his father.  But the time flew by too quickly and soon he had to leave for college once again.

The distance had become taking toll on their relationship.  Nelly was tired of Christopher excuses and Christopher was tired of Nelly’s demands.  The strain had become almost unbearable.  The little phone conversation that Christopher could fit into his schedule was filled with angry arguments and fights. 

“Hey, Can I let you go?  I have to go to a study session.”  Christopher said over the phone.

“Now?  We’ve only been on the phone for 15 minutes.”  Nelly complained.

“Yeah, I’m sorry but I have to go.  I have huge physics test coming up.  If I’m going to pass this test I need to study.”  Christopher explained.

“But we rarely get to hear each other’s voices lately.  It’s like you don’t have time for me anymore.”

“Well, I sort of don’t.  You know how important these studies are and how much I have to study.  It’s pretty bothersome to even make time for 30 minutes to call you back home.”  Christopher complained.

“Oh, so I’m a bother now?”  Nelly asked irritated.

“You know that’s not what I meant.  It’s just that my plate is pretty full.”

“So if you didn’t have me to bother you everything would be easier.”

“No, come on now.  Don’t be like this.  I’m just complaining about how busy I am.  I’m not saying I don’t want you around.”  Christopher argued.  “I would love it if I wasn’t so busy and I could just talk to you for hours.  But I can’t.  Nor can we afford to.”

“You’re not the only one making sacrifices you know.  I wait up all night just for your phone call.  It’s not like I don’t have better things to do.  I don’t have any social life anymore thanks to you.  And what about your dad?  When was the last time you’ve spoken with him?”  Nelly continued.  “You know how much he misses you.”

“I know, I know.”  Christopher argued.  “I don’t need you to remind me.  I certainly don’t need you to stress me out with these pointless arguments.  I’ve got enough on my mind.” 

“It’s pointless to talk to me?”  Nelly asked.

“NOW STOP!”  Christopher snapped.  “Stop turning my words around and stop talking about this.  I can’t do anything about it.  If I say I don’t have time then I don’t have time.”

“Christopher, what’s taking you so long?”  A female voice said behind Christopher’s voice.  “We should leave now if we’re going to make it the study session.”

“Who’s that?”  Nelly asked.

“She’s a friend that’s in a class with me.  Either way, it’s none of your business.”  Christopher replied. 

“You know fine.  You don’t want me to enter your life.  That’s fine with me.”  Nelly argued. 

“I’m so sick of arguing with you like this.  Sometimes I don’t even know why I bother.”  Said Christopher.

Nelly could no longer hold the tears welling up in her eyes.  They just flooded down her eyes with no reservation. 

“Then why do you bother?”  Nelly cried. 

“Don’t cry now.  Look, I have to go but I’ll call again when soon.  Ok?”

“No, I don’t think there’s any need.”  Nelly interrupted still crying.  “I don’t think you need to call me at all.”

“What?  What are you trying to say?”  Christopher asked.

“I think you know.” 

“Are you being like this cause what I said earlier?  I just don’t find the reason to tell you everything.”  Christopher argued.  “It’s not like I’m trying to keep secrets from you.”

“Christopher, I know.  I’m not asking you to tell me everything.  I’m not asking you tell me all your secrets.  If you don’t want to speak to me about certain things I understand.  But what I don’t understand is why wouldn’t you want to?”  Nelly asked.  “If you love me like you say you do, then why wouldn’t want you want to let me in all aspect of your life?”

“Christopher, we’re going to be late.”  The other female voice said again.

“Nelly…”  Christopher was lost for words.

“Go, Christopher.  Don’t keep her waiting all night.  You need to go study.”  Nelly interrupted.

“I’ll call you as soon as I get done ok?”  Christopher asked. 

“Yeah.”

There was nothing but ring tone in Nelly’s ear now.  Christopher had hung up the receiver and gone to his studies.  Nelly slowly hung up her side of the telephone and walked outside.  She noticed that it had started to snow.  She loved snow.  It gave her a sense of purity and innocents.  It used to always make her feel cheerful but this night she couldn’t find any cheerfulness in the snow.  All she saw was the massive darkness that swallowed the snow and everything else within its grasp.  Nelly felt like large part of her heart was also lost in the darkness. 

“Nelly, are you ok?”  Nelly’s mom asked. 

“Mom…”  Nelly said still trying to hide the tears from her eyes. 

“I don’t mean to intrude but I overheard some of your conversation with Christopher.”  She said. 

“I just don’t know anymore mom.  I’m so confused.”  Nelly complained. 

“Distance is always hard on a relationship.”  Her mom explained.  “But if it’s truly worth fighting for then you must.”

“How do I know if it’s worth fighting for?”  Nelly asked. 

“Only you can answer that.  Do you love him?” 

“Yes I do.”  Nelly answered. 

“I think that explains it.”  Nelly mom said with a smile before giving her a kiss on her forehead.  She then left Nelly on the balcony to gather her thoughts. 

Nelly stood there on the empty cold balcony and thought to herself, ‘Do I truly love Christopher?  Does he really love me?  Is this worth fighting for?’  All the questions came back to her with definite and indisputable yes.  She knew what she had to do. 

Nelly quickly ran to her room and grabbed her coat, her scarf, and her purse.  She checked quickly to see if her wallet was in her bag and as soon as she decided she had enough, she glanced at the clock. 

‘Still plenty of time.’  She thought to herself. 

She quickly slipped her feet in her boots and fasten them before making her way down the stair. 

“Nelly, where are you going at this hour?”  Nelly’s mom asked from the top of the stair a little confused.

“To fight for something worth fighting for!”  Nelly yelled out before rushing out the front door.

“Nelly!  Come back here this instant!”  Nelly’s mom demanded from the distance.  Nelly had already made her way down past her road and into the town center. 

It was empty as expected.  The entire town looked deserted.  All the stores were closed and there were no signs of life anywhere.  For second Nelly thought of the town’s people as bears who had gone into hibernation.  None of them will be out.  She peddled faster.  The quicker she gets there the better it would be.  Her heart pumped and her lungs ached, eager to disperse much needed oxygen as possible to her muscles.  She could feel the cold air piercing her lungs and throat as it traveled into her body. 

She quietly thanked herself for purchasing a bicycle couple months back with the money she saved up from working at the diner.  Without this contraption it would have been impossible for her to make it there in time. 

‘Faster.’  She thought to herself. 

After few minutes she finally saw it, the flickering street light that drew in all lost souls like bugs drawn to a burning lamp fire.  It was the street light that guided people to the bus station.  If Nelly made it in time, she would catch the midnight bus and head north to see Christopher.  She would surprise him and apology for the words she had spoken earlier on the phone.  She had to tell him that she loved him with all her heart. 

“Excuse me sir.”  Nelly asked her cheeks flushed and out of breathe.  “Could I purchase a ticket for the midnight bus?” 

“Oh, yeah of course.”  The man said a little hesitant.  “You sure you don’t want to wait till morning?”  he asked.

“No, I’m sure.”  She answered without a single frame of doubt. 

“Alright, here you go.”  The man handed Nelly the ticket in exchange for the money. 

The bus ride was a long and quite one.  There was only one other passenger on board who slept like a baby, only making incomprehensible noise when the bus drove over a large bump or a pot hole.  Nelly spent most of her time going over the words that she would say to Christopher.  In the end she decided that it didn’t matter as long as she spoke from her heart.  He would be excited to see her anyways. 

The college was larger than Nelly ever anticipated.  If she had to guess it was bigger than her town.  It reminded her of her younger days in Fayetteville, her life in the city.  She quickly made her way through the sidewalks, following the signs towards the Admissions.  Surely they would know where Christopher is.  But when she got there it was already closed.  No lights were turned on to show any signs of life, only the close sign that reminded people to come back the next day. 

“Do you need help?”  A male voice asked from behind her. 

“Oh, umm no.”  Nelly said clearly startled by his sudden appearance. 

“The Admissions are closed.  They normally shut the doors around 6pm, which makes you at least 8 hours late.”  The male student teased.  “Come on, just tell me.  Where is that you need to go?”  He insisted.  “A girl like you shouldn’t be alone at a night like this.”

With all her option depleted Nelly decided to trust the male student and ask for his directions. 

“I’m looking for my boyfriend.  I think he’s in Hughes Hall.”  Nelly said as she handed him one of Christopher’s letters with his address on it. 

“Oh, yeah.”  The male student answered.  “It’s the hall next to mine.  It’s pretty close to the street.  You probably walked right passed it when you were heading towards here.”  He said with a smile.  “Just follow me, I’ll show you the way.” 

“Thank you.”  Nelly said.

“I’m Mark by the way.” 

“Nelly.” 

Making sure to keep her distance, Nelly followed the strangely nice student to Hughes Hall.  It was closed to the main street, only minutes from where Nelly got off the bus.  Large yellow lights illuminated in front of the building as if to say, I’m here.  The building was as big as the town hall back home. 

“Looks like he’s on the 2nd floor.”  The male student said.  “He sure is lucky to have a girl like come see him at this hour.” 

“Thank you for your help.”  Nelly said politely. 

“No problem.  I’ll sit at the bench over there for 10 minutes or so just in case he’s not there.”  He added.  “Go get him!” 

“Thanks.”  Nelly smiled at the boy and rushed into the building.  She jogged down the hall and around corner to the stairs.  She happily skipped up the stairs taking 2 steps at a time.  When Nelly arrived at the 2nd floor entrance she quickly glanced back at the letter to memorize Christopher’s room number.  She rushed to it reading the signs carefully to make sure she headed the right direction. 

“Hahahahahaha, I know he can be such a pain sometimes.”  Nelly heard Christopher’s voice from his door. 

“Yeah, he’s so stiff.  Always by the books.”  A familiar female voice said. 

‘That’s the voice from earlier.’  Nelly thought frozen in front of Christopher’s door unable to knock. 

“Well but he’s really the best at his work so I guess we’re really lucky to have him as our professor.”  Christopher said.

“Yeah, we sure are.  By the way, I’m glad that you cheered up.”  The female voice said pausing for second.  “That phone conversation earlier sounded pretty serious.” 

“Well I guess it can’t help.”  Christopher replied.  “But you sure have a way of cheering me up.” 

“Nothing beats a pretty girl to lighten up the mood.”  She teased.  “You should just dump your high school girl and live it up here in college a bit more.” 

“Now don’t say that.  She’s amazing.”  Christopher defended.  “I’ve been with her for almost a decade.” 

“Well that’s why you need to trade her in for a newer model.”  She continued.  “Like me!”

“Haha maybe I’ll take up on your offer sometime in the future.”  Christopher teased. 

“Nelly!  You forgot your purse.”  The male student from earlier yelled out from down the hall.

Nelly was frozen for a moment.  There was a rush of electricity that started at her hip, climbed up her spine, and tickled her neck.  She wouldn’t be surprised if she was actually hit by lightning.  Her stomach dropped and she could vomit everything that she had eaten in the past 10 years of her life.  Her heart pumped faster than it had ever pumped before making her entire surface red with discomfort.  Her knees felt week as if it was about to buckle from beneath her.  To make matters worse Christopher had now opened door after hearing her name.  He stood there frozen as she is at the door way at the sight of her. 

“Nelly?  What are you doing here?”  He finally said breaking the silence. 

“Nothing.  I think I was mistaken to even come here.”  Nelly said quickly.  She then turned around and rushed past the other student to hide her tears. 

“Nelly!  Stop.”  Christopher called out.

She rushed down the stair as fast as she could, jumping the last set of stairs trying to create much distance as possible from Christopher. 

“Nelly, please stop.”  Christopher called out to her again.  He was chasing her now gaining ground. 

‘How could ever think that I was good enough for him?’  Nelly asked herself.  The tears could not be stopped now.  It streamed down non-stop blurring her vision as she ran out of Hughes Hall. 

‘I’m just a girl from a hick town now.  I can’t compete with these girls in college who has the beauty and the smarts.  No wonder he doesn’t want to talk to me on the phone anymore, there are beautiful girls that wants to talk to him here.  They can give him things I can’t.  They can challenge him in ways I can’t.’  she thought to herself. 

“Nelly!”  Christopher said still chasing after her. 

‘How could I have been so stupid?’

“Nelly!  Watch out!”  she heard Christopher scream out.

She felt it then, the hard unyielding force that took the legs from under her.  That very moment she turned her head and saw a light blinding her, followed by even brighter flash of light that stole all light from her eyes.  She felt her breathe being knocked out of her while the winds formed around her body, twisting her in ways she never could before.  She thought this unusual and seemingly memorable moment lasted longer than she anticipated.  When time finally caught up with her Nelly fell to the cold hard asphalt landing head first.  She thought all this should hurt tremendously but only pain she felt was in her heart. 

‘Am I having a heart attack?’  She thought to herself. 

Her memory was very scarce after that moment.  There was nothing visual just sounds.  She heard her mother’s voice, Christopher’s voice, Christopher’s father’s voice, and there were few other voices that were strangers first but Nelly slowly grew to recognize.  There were many conversations, none that she could comprehend.  Even the simplest of talks were foreign to her ears.  Only words she could remember was Christopher voice saying something about his eyes. 

Months passed.  The light never returned to her but the conversation began to make sense.  She knew that both Christopher and her mom visited her frequently and that she was in a hospital after the accident.  A drunken student had been out partying and was returning to campus grounds when he failed to see tear filled Nelly on the street.  The car hit her at 30mph flipping her in the air after she smashed her face into the windshield of the car.  The total damage was broken leg, 3 broken ribs, shattered right wrist, and the loss of her sight.  Extensive surgeries were done to fix her broken bones and a doctor was bright in to operate on her cornea to fix her sight.  Small shards of glass were thrown into Nelly’s eyes damaging her cornea but it was operable.

There was uproar in the hospital when Nelly’s bandages over her eyes were coming off.  Every nurse in the hospital wanted to be present.  Nelly could hear her mother cry in anticipation.  After months of darkness shrouding her eyes, Nelly was ecstatic to be able to see again, to have light in her eyes again.  Though she knew that she had every reason to be mad at Christopher, she wanted to see his face more than anyone else’s.  Then she thought to herself, ‘I haven’t heard his voice in awhile.’ 

“Now when we first take the bandages off your sight will be blurry but don’t worry, it’ll clear up soon.”  The doctor warned.  “Nelly, you ready?” 

“Yes sir.”  Nelly answered politely. 

The doctor slowly began to unwrap the bandages from her eyes.  Nelly inhale deeply then held her breathe as the doctor continued.

‘Why does every significant event feels like they seem to last forever?’  Nelly thought to herself as tiny bit of light returned to her. 

“Nelly, open your eyes.”  The doctor directed. 

Just as the doctor warned, when Nelly first opened her eyes everything looked blurry.  All the colors blended in together and everything looked as though if she was looking with teary eyes but every time she blinked it got clearer.  After few minutes and hundred blinks, she could see just as she did before. 

“How many fingers am I holding up?”  The doctor asked holding his middle and index finger up. 

“Two.”  Nelly said with a smile acknowledging her joy to receive the light again.  The entire room burst into cheer soon after.  Nelly’s mom rushed to her side and hugged her very tightly.  Nelly reached and hugged her back then scanned the room. 

“Mom?  Where’s Christopher?”  Nelly asked. 

Suddenly the mood in the room changed.  Everyone grew solemn as they waited for Nelly’s mother to answer.

“Nelly, there something I need to tell you.”  She said. 

“Wait.”  The doctor intervened.  “I think it’ll be best if she heard it directly from him.”  The doctor then turned to Nelly and said “Follow me.”

Nelly got up and followed the doctor into another room.  No one from Nelly’s room followed them except for Nelly’s mom. 

“He’s in here.”  The doctor directed. 

“Why is in a hospital room?”  Nelly asked confused.

“He’ll explain everything.”  The doctor said. 

The room was almost bare.  There was one twin size bed with white sheets and white curtains on the window that danced as the spring wind blew.  The room looked blindingly white as if all the light in the world had gathered there. 

“It looks like the operation was a success?”  Christopher said. 

Hearing his voice all of sudden startled her.  She didn’t even see him sitting on a wheel chair looking out from the far left window.  He looked as beautiful as ever.  He sat there with his dark brown hair combed neatly back towards his skull while the hair behind his ears and back curled every so cutely.  His skin was light brown a perfect shade of tan that every girl dreamed of having.  He looked stunning even with the unflattering blue hospital gown. 

“Looks like the hummingbirds are back.”  Christopher said suddenly when Nelly didn’t reply to his earlier remark. 

“Huh?  Where?”  Nelly asked caught off guard.  She then saw it, tiny hummingbird flying by the window.  “Oh, it’s beautiful.” 

“Isn’t it?”  Christopher said delighted.

“Yeah, the operation went well.  I can see again.”  Nelly answered Christopher earlier question. “What happen?  Why are you in a hospital room?”  Nelly asked confused. 

“I said it many times while you were in laying the hospital bed but I’ll say it again.  I’m really sorry for what happen.”  Christopher said ignoring Nelly questions.  “The accident was my fault.  I should’ve never joked about others girl like I did.  If I didn’t do that then maybe you wouldn’t have been in an accident.  You would’ve never had to lose your sight.  It was all my fault for taking you for granted.  I’m so sorry.”  Christopher apologized. 

“Look at me Christopher.”  Nelly said sternly.  “I was pretty mad at the moment but it’s ok Christopher.  I still love you.  When I couldn’t see all I wanted was to look upon your face just one more time.”  Nelly answered.

“That’s a relief.”  Christopher answered hesitantly.  “I am truly sorry.”

“I said it’s ok.”  Nelly answered.  “Christopher, look at me.  I’m really ok.”

“You could really love me even now?  After all I’ve put you through?”  Christopher asked.

“Of course…”  Nelly suddenly sensed something was wrong.  “Christopher, why won’t you look at me?”  Nelly asked. 

Christopher didn’t answer.  He just stared at the bright green maple tree showered in the blinding sun light. 

“Christopher, tell me.  Why are you in this hospital room?”  Nelly asked again.

Christopher still refused to answer.

“Christopher, LOOK AT ME!”  Nelly demanded as she rushed to his side and turned the wheel chair to face her.

“Oh… my…. Gosh…”  Nelly uttered.  “You’re blind!” 

Even with tear welling up in Christopher’s eyes he still refused to say anything.

“What happen?  Why can’t you see?”  Nelly questioned. 

“He offered up his sight in exchange for yours.”  The doctor finally stepped in.

“Doctor!”  Christopher protested. 

“No, she needs to hear this.”  The doctor argued.  “Only the cornea in your eyes was damaged.  This was a lucky break for you because it’s healable.  But to fix your cornea a replacement cornea is needed.”

“So you gave up yours.”  Nelly said finally grasping the situation and turning to Christopher.

“If you will have e I promise I’ll make it up to you.”  Christopher said.  “I promise I’ll love you more than anyone could ever love someone and more than anyone has ever loved anyone.  If you could love this blind fool, I promise…”

“Of course I love you.  I’ll love you till the day I die.”  Nelly interrupted, crying and her arms wrapped around Christopher.  “You fool, of course I would love you.”

There they embraced each other, among the hummingbirds and spring winds enveloping them.  They held each other tight while the blinding sun embraced them in its blinding light. 
© Copyright 2009 Jester (tobabygu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1524640-In-His-Eyes