*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1525055-A-Real-Chinese-Dragon
by Jester
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1525055
Finding a Real Chinese Dragon.
“Ling, wait up!”  Lee shouted out.  He’d been running after Ling ever since they left his village.  She was known for mischief like these, always getting Lee into trouble.  He couldn’t quite understand why he stayed friends with her. 

“Come on you slug.  Can’t you move those legs of yours any faster?” 

“Just wait until I get there.” 

“Oh, fine…” 

It was a beautiful winter morning.  The snow had just fallen over night blanketing the entire bamboo forest with dazzling display of sparkling white.  Both of their footprints were clearly shown in the snow which left Lee worried over the prospect of his parents finding out of his whereabouts.  He knew that they weren’t supposed to be in this forest.  It was strictly forbidden. 

“Ling, are you sure you saw it?”  Lee asked looking for confirmation. 

“Yes, I’ve already told you hundred times.  I saw it.” 

“It better be there.”

“Or what?  You’ll tell on my parents?”  Ling teased. 

“I don’t know what, just make sure that I see it.” 

“That’s why I’m trying to hurry.  It not might be there anymore if we move slowly as you like for us to.”  Ling complained. 

“Ok, ok, let’s get going. 

As they made their way deeper into the forest the bamboos were getting taller.  There were no bamboo shoots to be seen anymore.  They were all full grown bamboos, at least 50 years old, untouched by any humans. 

“There,” Ling proclaimed in low whisper.  “It’s was in there.” 

“Everything is burnt.”  Lee pointed out. 

There was a cave where Ling directed with the point of her finger, the mouth of it black as coal.  All the surrounding bamboos were torn down and left in ashes.  Even the few boulders that accentuating the entrance looked burnt. 

“Does someone live here?”  Lee asked. 

“No, of course not.  No human could possibly exist with that thing.” 

“What burnt this place then?” 

“That thing, it has to be that thing.”

Ling jumped out of the thicket of the bamboos and rushed into the cave.  She had no reservation.  She didn’t know how to hold herself back.  The burnt marking that seemed like a warning sign to Lee signaled a great adventure to Ling. 

“Ling! Wait up!”  Lee yelled out chasing after Ling. 

The cave was dark, just as Lee expected it to be.  He was glad that for once he thought ahead and brought a flash light.  He reached into his satchel and pulled out the flashlight.  When the bright light encompassed his surroundings Lee felt shivers traveling down his spine.

“Cool huh?”  Ling asked suddenly appearing out of nowhere. 

“Cool?  How can you find this cool?  This could have been done by a tiger.  We’re going to get eaten if we continue.” 

“No way was this done by a tiger.  They’re not known for something like this.  And look, it doesn’t seem like it was doing it to sharpen its claws but more to scratch off the wall.”  Lee explained as she picked up a few small pieces of the wall that was left on the ground.  “Looks like platinum.”

“How would you know?”

“Just guessing.  My grandfather told that platinum has a silver-white appearance like these.  You know there have been miners around here looking for platinum.”

“Yeah, I forget.  Your grandfather is a geologist.”

“Yeap, and the prospect of platinum in this area is why we moved here.  Anyway come on, I think I found it.”  Ling said impatiently. 

Ling lead the way, holding Lee’s hands and pulling him in her direction.  It was obvious that she’s been in the cave before due to her knowledge of its catacombs.  She led them farther in, finally stopping before a large cavity.  They hid behind a cluster of stalactites.

“There,” she whispered.  “Can you see it?”

There it was a lizard like creature unlike anything Lee has ever seen in his life or in encyclopedias.  It was around 12 feet long and stood about 5 feet tall.  Its legs were short and stocky able to hold up a guesstimated 800 to 900 pounds of flesh and muscle.  It moved like a crocodile would on a dry surface wobbling its entire body. 

“I thought it was a komodo dragon at first but with further inspection decided that it was too big to be one.  Plus it rocks.”

They watched as the creature clawed the surface of the cave wall and chew up the pieces that broke apart.  Then it raised its head and opened its mouth, exposing a valve like skin wall that swallowed up the crumbled wall pieces.

“Why do you think it’s doing that?”  Lee asked. 

Then as if it was answering Lee’s question, it took a deep breathe and released a huge burst of fire.

“What the!”  Lee screamed out.

“Shhhhhhhh,” Ling tackled Lee and held his mouth keeping him from making any loud noises.  “Be quiet.”  She whispered.  “What if it hears us?”

“What is that thing!?!”

“If I had to guess, it’s dragon.”  Ling explained.  “Look, when it breathes its neck swells up.  I think that’s where it holds its supply of hydrogen gas.  The gas is probably created by bacteria living in its stomach.  As it devours its prey, the digestion creates hydrogen where it is stored in its neck sack.  My grandfather once told me that when platinum and hydrogen combines it creates a chemical reaction that causes combustion.  I think that’s why it was eating the wall and why it can breathe fire.”

“A dragon?  That’s crazy!”

“I don’t think so.  We have myths about dragons everywhere so they had to come from somewhere.  They might be borderline extinct now.  That’s why no one has seen one in ages.” 

“Well, I don’t care why we haven’t seen them nor will I ever see them again.  I’m just want to get away from here.” 

“Fine, you scaredy cat.  Let’s head back.  If we report this to the news we’ll make a fortune.”  Ling said smiling as she lead the way back home. 
© Copyright 2009 Jester (tobabygu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1525055-A-Real-Chinese-Dragon