*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1527422-Jaspers-Test
by Emyrn
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1527422
An entry for daily flash fiction contest.
With each drop of sand in the hourglass Jasper's lifespan decreased. As it stood, he had less than an hour until the curse took affect. Fitting within his palm the hourglass stood as a testament to the contract, which was why he now stood outside the Forgotten Museum. Inside its doors lay his salvation.

A mammoth structure, it had been decommissioned years ago due to a lack of funding, yet the treasures that lay within remained untouched. Jasper had no choice but to push his way through the squeaking wooden doors, cringing as a reverberating echo of the door hitting the stopper announced his presence. If the place was haunted everyone would know he was here.

Taking several breaths to steady his nerves he charged in, running blindly with his eyes closed too afraid to look around. Fortunately, he did not hit anything as he plowed his way deep into the corridor. When he next opened his eyes, a group of five statues greeted him. It was a test, for above them hung a sign written in blood, reading, “The richest path of all lies buried. Choose your destiny before time immortal stops.”

“What does that mean?” Jasper muttered, staring at his hourglass with only moments left. Each of the statues beckoned with an outstretched hand, one tinted gold, another silver, bronze, marble and finally dirt. Pacing back and forth staring from statue to hourglass he did not have time to think. As the sand ran out, he placed the the hourglass upon the golden hand.

The room filled with a purple light as a voice echoed from the statues, “For failing the test, your die is cast. Live as a feather duster, removing the dirt from treasure.” Jasper let out a scream. The curse of the feather duster fulfilled.
© Copyright 2009 Emyrn (emyrn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1527422-Jaspers-Test