*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1213485-Spy-Mission
by Emyrn
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1213485
A spy on a mission. Entry for contest.
For most people maneuvering through a thick, snow covered forest would be an arduous journey. For Ryan it was natural, which was why he had taken the mission. “Why did I take this mission?” he muttered to himself as he ran through the snow. It was supposed to be simple. Sneak into the nearby town of Ardor and steal the mayor’s defense plan.

Ryan felt his pouch and the soft bundle of papers within. Secure that they were safe he ran all the faster, until he came upon a small clearing. I better get extra for this. They know I hate killing.

Working quickly he tied wire around two trees right before the clearing and pulled it taut. Running quickly through the clearing, his footprints visible in the snow, he made it to the other side. Dropping his gas pack set to go off when opened, he backtracked to the wire, making sure to step only where his footprints were. Back where he started, he climbed one of the Firs. Soon Ryan climbed high enough that he was within reach of the next Fir’s branch. Moving from tree to tree, he worked his way sideways around the clearing. Nestled within one of the trees, Ryan heard the approaching mercenaries and smiled.

The first mercenary didn’t see the wire as he ran into the clearing, decapitating him. Swearing, the second mercenary cut the blood covered wire and without looking at his fallen companion continued through the clearing. A third and fourth followed. He wasn’t sure who but one of them picked up the pack.

“Wait Smith…No don’t!” said one of the mercenaries. It was too late. The poison gas went off. Descending the tree, Ryan at a more leisurely pace continued his mission – getting back to camp with the plans.
© Copyright 2007 Emyrn (emyrn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1213485-Spy-Mission