*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1528424-Mischief-at-the-Harvest-Ball
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #1528424
Fairies get more than they planned on
It was the zenith of the harvest moon and all the sprites and fairies were getting ready for the midnight ball.  All the fairies wings were freshly sparkled and the sprites were all aglow.  Everyone from the magical kingdom was coming tonight to socialize and renew old acquaintances.  Frieda chose to wear a green gown while her other two friends Mena and Lalu went more for pastels.

While putting up some decorations Frieda started to laugh and asked Mena, “do you remember what the dwarves tried to do last year to the sprites?” 

Mena paused and joined in laughing, “yes, they kept putting the sprites in glass jars to bring home and light their mines.  We didn’t realize it till the next day when their queen inquired as to why her daughters had not been home after the ball.” 

Lalu gave an unlady like snort and snickered.  “Yes, the queen was so mad at the insult she made the dwarves dig new trenches for the ogres latrine and bury the old one.  I don’t think we will have to worry this year about them.”

In unison the little sprites working with the fairies gave a collective sigh of relief and started laughing themselves at the memory of the stench from the dwarves as they were made to do reparations.

The sprites told the fairies that this year they were sticking to the trees to dance and frolic.  Frieda exclaimed, “How lovely, the glow from your bodies will look like little stars dancing in the night between the branches and the leaves.”

Frieda, Mena, and Lalu finished the decorations and told the sprites they would see them later at the ball.  The fairies then started down the path towards the castle, they were half way there when they heard some male fairies plotting in a glade.  Frieda ducked behind some bushes to peek at who was up to mischief.

Rogan, Renul, and Listo were huddled together looking into a bag. They stood up and closed the bag that had started to wiggle and hiss.  Rogan said to Listo, “make sure to wait for the sprite queen to arrive before you open the bag and give them a surprise.  The dwarves will pay us in gold if we do this right and make sure it is untraceable back to them.”

Frieda crept back to her friends and told them what she saw and heard.  All three were horrified that the boys would be so evil as to plot and cause trouble at the Harvest ball. 
Lalu said, “we must go tell the council about this and see what they will do.”  The three fairies set off, now feeling no joy for the coming Harvest Ball.

When Frieda, Lalu, and Mena arrived at the council chambers they were dismayed to see no one was there.  Frieda said, “they must all be getting ready and making preparations for their individual tribes arrival.”  Undaunted the three fairies went to find the chamber of the Elven lord, he was the ruling body for the council and the Fairy queen would surely be close at hand as well.

Just as they were going up the tower the door opened, and in walked Rogan, Listo, and Renul, Frieda tried to keep the look of disgust off her face when Rogan asked her where they were going.  She told Rogan, “I’m going up to ask if the Elven lord had any more jobs for us to do before we got ready for the ball.” 

Rogan looked at the other two fairy girls who were acting nervous and quietly said, “I don’t think you will be going anywhere.”


608 words
© Copyright 2009 Katasha (suetib at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1528424-Mischief-at-the-Harvest-Ball