*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1529883-But-it-was-right
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Other · #1529883
Devin remembers all the facts, but that isn't as good as it sounds...
“Good job, Devin!” said Mrs. Briggs.  “You got 100 percent on the quiz again!”
Devin smiled smugly and nodded.  “I did good,” he thought.  “I bet I know a million facts!”

Devin wasn’t really paying attention as Mrs. Briggs chattered about Peru.  He knew all this stuff, anyway.  He was smart.  He didn’t need to—
“Devin?”  Mrs. Briggs had appeared next to his desk.  “Can you tell me what we are talking about now?”  Her voice was gentle, but Devin knew she was just waiting to get him in trouble.
He slouched back in his chair and muttered, “In 1968, General Juan Velasco Alvarado led the armed forces against President Fernando Belaunde.  The new policy instigated reforms to increase economic development.”
“Very good, Devin,” said Mrs. Briggs.  “Now, as we were discussing…”
Louisa raised her hand.  “Mrs. Briggs?  What does “instigated” mean?”
“Devin, why don’t you explain it to the class?”  Mrs. Briggs suggested.
Devin glared and slouched down even more.  This always happened!  He always answered the question right, but Mrs. Briggs wouldn’t listen.  “But that was right!” he pouted.  “That’s what it said!”  The class was speechless. 
“I hate you!”  Devin yelled.  “I was right!
“Please see me after class, Devin.”

Devin walked home, muttering to himself.  “I did good!  I got it right!” he grumbled.  “I hate her.”
The next day, Mrs. Briggs announced a new assignment.  “Everyone must write an essay on the history and culture of Peru.  It should be 5 paragraphs long, double spaced.  Let’s go to the library, class.  Remember, you have to use your own words, or else use quotes.” Mrs. Briggs made a quoting motion.  “Otherwise, you are copying, and that isn’t fair.”  She led the way to the library.
Stomping through the hallways, Devin thought, “If you use your own words, then that’s not the right words, so it’s not right.  I’m gonna be right.”  He nodded, firmly convinced that he would be the best.
Devin picked up the P volume of the encyclopedia and flipped to the page about Peru.  He read, but didn’t bother to take notes. 

At home, Devin started writing.  “I know all of it!”  he thought, smiling to himself.  “I’m really smart!”  He wrote, and wrote, satisfied that all the words were right.  He knew he did a good job because he wrote down everything the book said

Devin was proud to turn in his paper.  He knew he was the smartest because he always remembered everything.  Sometimes, other kids in his class knew the facts, but not the words.  Devin always knew the facts, and he ALWAYS got the words right.
Later that evening,  Mrs. Briggs flicked on her lamp and settled down to read the reports on Peru.  She flipped through each one, marking spelling and other mistakes.  Finally, she reached Devin’s paper.  She was curious about what he would say.  “Devin is such a bright boy,”  she thought, “but sometimes he’s just so difficult.”
Ancient Peruvian  societies depended  on agriculture, the paper began, using techniques such as crop irrigation and terracing.  Mrs. Briggs frowned and continued reading.  Livestock activities and fishing were also important.  “Wait a minute…”  Mrs. Briggs stood up and grabbed the P volume of her encyclopedia.  Flipping through to the page with information on Peru, she began to read.
Ancient Peruvian  societies depended  on agriculture, using techniques such as crop irrigation and terracing…
Mrs. Briggs slammed the book closed.  SEE ME, she scrawled across the report in thick red pen.

Devin couldn’t wait to see his grade on the report.  “I got all the words right!  I bet I did really good.”  Normally bored in class, Devin was riveted to the teacher, anxiously awaiting the proclamation of his greatness. 
Mrs. Briggs frowned as she handed Devin his paper.  He looked anxiously at it.  “See me,” the paper demanded
Devin couldn’t believe it.  “Mrs. Briggs!” he yelled.  “Mrs. Briggs, I got it right!  The words are all right!  They’re right!”
“Devin, please see me after class,”  Mrs. Briggs said coolly, continuing to hand out reports.

“All right, Devin, look at this.”  Mrs. Briggs laid Devin’s report and the encyclopedia on her desk.  “I think you copied this.  Remember, we use our own words in reports or it isn’t fair.”
Devin blinked.  “I remembered it all,” he said.  “I knew all the stuff.”  Pouting, he muttered, “You just hate me!  I used all the right words, and it was right!”
“Devin.”  Mrs. Briggs tried to remain calm.  “Why don’t you write your report here, now, and use your own words?”
“OK,” he said, looking down at the floor.

Around 45 minutes later, Devin announced, “I got it all right!”
Mrs. Briggs smiled gently and started to read.  Then, she started to frown.  Ancient Peruvian societies depended  on agriculture, using techniques such as crop irrigation and terracing.  Livestock activities  and fishing were also—
“Devin!”
His eyes widened hopefully.
“This is copying and I will not stand for it!”
“But it was right…”
“Well…”  Mrs. Briggs considered her options.  “Can you explain the culture of Peru?”
Devin grinned.  “Sure!  Ancient Peruvian societies depended on agriculture, using techniques such as—”
“NO!  I mean, no.  That is still copying.  Can you explain anything besides what the book said?”  Mrs. Briggs exhaled slowly, trying to remain calm
“But I got it right!  I remembered all the facts and stuff.”
Suddenly, Mrs. Briggs understood.  “The facts, yes, but did you understand?  You could know a million facts, but still be uneducated if you don’t understand!  Do you understand?”  She looked at him hopefully.
“But I had all the facts…”
Mrs. Briggs was silent.




Word Count: 941



Sources:
Information on Peru is from the Wikipedia article "Peru"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peru
© Copyright 2009 Coconut Fern (coconutfern at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1529883-But-it-was-right