*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1531161-Sherry-and-the-Square-Egg
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1531161
Short story for Children. About a chicken named "Sherry" who thinks she is perfect!
Sherry and the Square Egg.

"Grandpa, why is there a name on top of this chicken coop?"

"Well, you see this coop was named after a chicken named Sherry."

"Sherry was always going around to the other chickens and telling them they could only lay oval eggs."

“Everyone knows that oval eggs aren’t perfect, said Sherry.” “If you were perfect like me you could lay round eggs.”

All the other chickens felt bad that they could only lay oval eggs. 

Then one day the chickens began to talk about the round eggs. One asked, “I have never seen a round egg, have you?” 

“No I have never seen round eggs either.”

The chickens decided the next time Sherry went out of the chicken coop they were going to check her nest.

Every day when Sherry would get up and go outside all the chickens gathered around her nest to take a look. 

The nest was always empty.

Every day Sherry would brag of how great and wonderful she was because she was the only chicken who could lay round eggs.

Then one day all the chickens had heard enough and gathered around Sherry and said, “alright, show us your round eggs.”

“Well, I declare says Sherry, I can lay round eggs anytime I want to.”

“Then prove it says the other chickens, lay a round egg for us to see!”

“Ok, you just watch. I’m going to lay the perfect egg.”

Sherry begins to grunt, groan, shake while all the other chickens watched.

After a few minutes the other chickens asked, “Where’s the round egg? Let’s see what you have.”

“I haven’t laid an egg if you must know. It takes time to lay a perfect egg. I just need more time, that’s all.”

“Ok says the other chickens we can wait.”

They waited and waited until Sherry said with a surprise, “Everyone come and take a look. When I get up off my nest you will see how perfect I really am.”

Sherry stands up and moves away from her nest while turning her back. “Take a look and the most perfect egg in the whole world!”

All the other chickens crowded around the nest and looked in amazement.

“Well now,” says Sherry. “Are you satisfied now that you have seen the perfect egg?”

One of the other chickens began to laugh. “Sherry, your egg isn't round or oval. It’s square!”

Sherry turned around and looked at her nest and sure enough there was a square egg.

“Of course it’s square, did you think I was going to lay something so simple as a perfectly round egg? I’m much better than that.”

When I gathered the eggs from the chickens that day. I found this square egg that Sherry had laid. Sherry never laid any eggs before. I decided to take Sherry and the square egg to the Farmers Market.

At the Farmers Market everyone came by and wanted to see the square egg.

Then an old farmer came by with a long beard and looked at Sherry and the egg.

He, laughed and laughed. Then said, “No one wants a square egg and who needs a chicken that lays square eggs."

Sherry dropped her head in shame. She realized now that she wasn't perfect at all.

"Well, I took Sherry back home and placed her in the chicken coop with all the other chickens."

Sherry decided to hold a group meeting.

"I have been the one who hasn't been perfect," said Sherry and "I'm sorry for all those things I said."

Sherry started to tear up and cry.

The other chickens came up to Sherry and put their wings around her and said, "Sherry we love you."

"You did what no other chicken in the world could do and that was to lay a square egg!"

That was the day Sherry realized that she wasn't perfect but she had some perfect friends.



© Copyright 2009 Richard Briley Jr (rbriley48 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1531161-Sherry-and-the-Square-Egg