*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1536091-Burgundy-Nails
Rated: E · Other · Drama · #1536091
Just a quick little story for writers cramp.
A high pitch melody emanated from Amy’s purse. She reached in and pulled out her cell phone. Brushing her hair aside she put the phone to her ear.

“Hello?”

“It’s Curtis. When you get home, I need you to pack my clothes. I’ll be running late and can’t do it myself.”

“Yeah, sure. I’ve got to pack too.”

“Make sure you only pack my pressed shirts. Oh, and Amy, I will need the large suitcase. You know how I hate it when my clothes get wrinkled in the small one.”

“Curtis, it’s only a weekend trip. Can’t we get by with carry-ons?”

“Uh, no. Amy just do as I ask. I really don’t have time to talk about stupid things like this. Bye.”

“Bye, I love you.” Amy said to an ended call.

She sighed and put away her phone.

Amy knew how Curtis was. Her friends detested him, and her family only tolerated him for Amy’s sake. She still loved him, although lately she was beginning to wonder why? That didn’t matter now. This weekend retreat was going to rekindle their love, she knew it.

“Well I guess I better cut shopping early and head home.” she thought, and walked to her car.

At home, Amy had the large suitcase on the bed. Beside it was her carry-on. She blew a strand of hair from her face and smiled. “Done!” Excitement was building for her romantic getaway.

She glanced at the clock. It was almost 4 o’clock. The plane left at 6:00. “Curtis will be here around 5:00 and will want to leave immediately.” she thought. “I still have time to do my nails.”

She went to the bathroom and grabbed her favorite color of fingernail polish, a burgundy red that went perfect with the bikini she just purchased.

Amy had just finished her left hand when Curtis walked in. “Amy! Are you ready? We need to leave now!”

Amy yelled, “I’m in the bedroom just finishing my nails! You’re home early!”

Curtis walked into the bedroom and glared down at Amy. “You don’t have time to finish. We need to leave.”

“I just need to do my right hand.”

Curtis talked as he unzipped his suitcase. “Do it on the plane. You don’t know how long we might be in traffic. I don’t want you to screw this up.” He took a few shirts out of his suitcase and replaced them with others.

Amy was very good at controlling her temper and didn’t want to start a fight right now. She put her polish in her purse, grabbed her things and followed Curtis to his car.

The ride to the airport went smooth. They were ahead of time, but the airport was bustling with people. Apparently there was a storm keeping many of the planes on the ground. Curtis and Amy’s plane was one of the few that were running on time.

After checking in, they made themselves comfortable. Amy began to finish her nails. She had just finished her second finger when a woman nearby began to yell for her son.

Amy looked at the woman with concern. She said to Curtis, “someone needs to help her.”

“Let security deal with it” Curtis blurted.

Amy glared at Curtis and walked to the woman.

“Danny!” the woman yelled.

“Can I help?” Amy said calmly to the woman.

“Oh yes. My son was right here and now I cannot find him anywhere!” A single tear rolled down the woman’s face.

“I’ll help. You stay here in case he shows up, and I’ll go find security to help us look. What does he look like?”

“He is four, has dark hair, brown eyes, and is wearing a yellow t-shirt and jeans. His name is Danny.”

“Don’t worry, he’s fine and we’ll find him.” Amy turned and began walking quickly down the corridor. She could hear Curtis yelling at her as she walked away.

She had been weaving her way through the crowd for close to 10 minutes when she spotted some security. She walked up to the men and explained the situation. One man reported the issue on his radio and said they would take care of it.

Amy looked at her watch. She knew that if she didn’t get back she would miss her flight. Curtis was probably furious, but she was beginning to not care.

When she arrived at her terminal, Curtis was gone and the woman was sitting with another security guard. Amy walked to the flight attendant.

“I’m sorry ma’am, the flight boarded 2 minutes ago.”

“Two minutes ago? You can’t be a little flexible?” Amy pleaded.

The flight attendant sighed and picked up her phone to make a call. Amy turned her head and looked at the woman with the guard. Her face in her hands, sobbing. Amy turned back to the flight attendant, “You know what, never mind. I think I would rather stay anyway.” She walked over to the woman.

“No luck yet?” Amy asked.

The woman shook her head.

Amy spoke to the guard. “Why don’t you go look? I’ll stay with her.” Amy sat down and introduced herself. The woman wiped her tears and replied, “I’m Rosetta, my friends call me Rose.”

“Well Rose, I have been trying all day to paint my nails.” Amy held her hands out and showed Rose her seven burgundy nails and three unpainted nails. Rose managed to chuckle a little. “Do you mind if I finish? I’ll do yours next”

Rose smiled, “That would be nice”.

Amy finished Rose’s right hand and was working on her left when two guards walked up with the toddler between them. Rosetta ran to him and wrapped her arms tightly around the boy. Amy smiled.

Rose walked over to Amy. “Amy, I’m so very thankful for your kindness. I couldn’t have made it without you. I’m sorry that your plan has gone awry because of me.”

Amy smiled and said, “Rose, my friend, you have done me a favor.”

© Copyright 2009 ricknichols (ricknichols at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1536091-Burgundy-Nails