*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1542622-Green-Funerals
by BKfree
Rated: 13+ · Article · Environment · #1542622
This is the beginning of an article published in one of the Uncle John's Readers
While we know that funerals are expensive, how many of us contemplate the environmental costs?  In the United States and Canada, the services typically include embalming of the body with formaldehyde, utilizing imported wood and synthetic materials for the coffin, and a concrete vault.  If the burial takes place in a “pastoral” cemetery the grounds are probably maintained using fertilizers and other chemicals.  The average cost of a funeral in 2006 was $6195, according to the National Funeral Directors Association. This does not include the cemetery costs which can add another $1,128, depending on the location. 

Where does the money go?  The average national price of embalming was reported by the National Funeral Directors Association as $550 in 2006.  Most funeral homes charge an additional fee of about $200 to dress and position the body, as well as making any necessary cosmetic adjustments. Professional services fees, which generally cover filing the appropriate paperwork and other basic chores typically are around $1595. Transporting the body, printing programs and prayer cards and other staff activities amount to about $1595. Caskets costs average $3930.

The first step in the environmentally costly process is embalming.  The primary ingredient in embalming fluid is formaldehyde, a suspected carcinogen. OSHA regulates the use of the chemicals by the funeral home personnel.  Those working with the chemicals must be specially trained to use the chemicals and keep the necessary records regarding their use. Waste products of the embalming process may be released into the water supply.  Typically they are diluted enough to not pose an environmental threat.  However, in areas were a septic system is used the run-off and waste products must be kept in a container and disposed of as hazardous waste. 

Proponents of embalming say that helps to control the spread of bacteria and disease. Others argue that chemical free burials are the norm for most of the world, and in certain religious communities in the U.S.  As recently as 2006, the US Centers for Disease Control stated that embalming is NOT prescribed as a method of protecting public health.
Embalming in not required by law in most states, although the funeral home may require embalming if the family chooses to have a public viewing.  It’s estimated that each year 827,000 gallons of embalming fluid is buried.

© Copyright 2009 BKfree (bkfreelance at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1542622-Green-Funerals