*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1542624-Orbital-Sciences-Corporation
by BKfree
Rated: E · Other · Educational · #1542624
Opening paragraphs of an article published in the May 2009 issue of Unigalactic.
Orbital Sciences Corporation (Orbital) was incorporated in 1982, by David Thompson, Bruce Ferguson and Scott Webster in Delaware to develop small to medium size space systems for low orbit communication, space exploration and defense.  The first contract, the Transfer Orbit Stage vehicle, was signed in 1983.  At the time the company employed six employees near Washington, DC.  The company went public on the NASDAQ in 1990.  Since then Orbital has grown to 3600 employees, with plans to reach 4000 by the end of 2009.  Major operations are Virginia, Arizona, California and Maryland. The company has launched over 640 space-related systems.

Today the company is clustered into three main business areas: Space and Satellite Systems, Advanced Space Programs and Launch Vehicles. The Space and Satellite Systems program encompasses geo-synchronous communication satellites, small and medium satellites design to conduct scientific research and technical services for scientific and military customers, such as command control and data handling.  The Advanced Space program develops space systems for humans, national security satellites, and medium class launch vehicles. The Launch Vehicle segment produces space launch vehicles to place satellites in low orbit applications, builds the missile defense rockets the boost intercept vehicles and suborbital rockets to test and develop the missile defense system.
© Copyright 2009 BKfree (bkfreelance at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1542624-Orbital-Sciences-Corporation