*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1546910-Broken-Ribs-Broken-Heart
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Women's · #1546910
Broken from her last relationship can Jenny be happy again and is love the way to do it?
Broken Ribs, Broken Heart



By Patricia Brady



I don’t know if I’ll ever be happy in this place, Jenny thought as she looked at the queue. The end of it was almost out the door and she knew it was going to be a long afternoon, today of all days.

“Next please,” she called as soon as the last customer had left her window. “How can I help you?”

“I’d need a bank draft for a £1000 dear,” the lady replied, as she peered over her spectacles at the cherub faced cashier.

“Certainly madam, I’ll just take the details.”

“Well, it’s for this company here,” she said sliding an invoice through the gap at the bottom of the hatch.

Jenny took the piece of paper from the pale veined hand.

“I see, Mrs. Walsh, according to this invoice the bill needs to be paid in full by the 20th, that’s only a few days. If you send them a bank draft it’ll take too long, by the time they receive it and wait for it to clear.”

“What? That’s ridiculous! Why would it take so long? I can’t believe this. I’ll have to ring them, explain…” the lady raised her frail hand and rubbed her temple, deepening the lines of worry.

“It’s no problem Mrs. Walsh. I’ll tell you what I can do. If we send them the money by a BACS transfer, they’ll get the money electronically into their account, and it’ll be on time to pay the bill. What do you think?” Jenny asked and smiled at the old lady.

“Well, if you’re sure it’ll get there in time. Alright, let’s do it,” she said, returning the smile.

“Great, I just need you to sign this form,” Jenny said as her right hand searched across her body for the missing pen. None in her pocket; none clipped onto her uniform jumper.

Shit, where the hell..? She thought, as her eyes scanned the desk.

“Here’s one,” Alice popped her head around the side of the glass partition, plucking the pen from behind her ear and releasing a mass of dark curls. She passed the pen to Jenny, and winked, crinkling the freckles on her nose.

“Thanks. Now Mrs. Walsh, here you are. Just sign on this line and I’ll sort out the transfer for you. Is there anything else I can do for you?”

“No, thanks for your help dear.” she replied as she headed for the doors.





Before Jenny could call the next customer, she spotted Rob Stevens, the assistant manager from the corner of her eye. She couldn’t help the plug she felt pull in her stomach every time she saw him. He came closer and leaned in towards Jenny, sweeping a stray strand of chestnut hair from his eyes. She caught his scent and retreated a little from his presence.

“I watched you with old Emily there; you were really good with her. You know your stuff and it shows.”

Jenny blushed and hated herself for it. “Yeah? Em, thanks”. She glanced at his face and to stop blushing again looked away and shuffled some papers.

“It’s time for your break now, you too Alice. See you in 15 minutes.” He said as he walked on.

Alice rolled her eyes as Jenny sighed, and pulled her friend towards the staff room.





Jenny squinted as the light from the fluorescent bulbs glared off the bare white walls and standard kitchen units. It somehow made the room seem larger, almost hospital-like. The dark blue carpet penetrated the room’s sterile atmosphere with a musty, mothball smell. It was cheap and plain, but full of corporate quiet and offered the girls a welcome respite from a queue of impatient strangers. Jenny searched the cupboards for any surviving biscuits from the packet she had brought in that week.

“I can’t believe the Christmas Party is tonight,” Jenny said as Alice switched on the kettle and wrestled a box of tea bags open.

“I can’t believe you’re going to make a move on Rob tonight!”

“I’m not! I’m just gonna dress, em, nicer than I usually do, obviously, and wait for him to make the move.” Jenny muttered through a mouthful of chocolate biscuit crumbs.

“I see you’ve got it all worked out then!” Alice handed Jenny her tea and the two sat at the table facing each other.

Far from it, Jenny thought as she stared into her cup.

“Do you remember the first time we saw him at the induction day? He was like, taking all your details and you couldn’t answer him properly or take your eyes off him!”

“Well, he’s so sweet, cute too, but just really nice.” At 6 feet in height, he was almost 10 inches taller than her, but this, and his strong build, made Jenny feel safe around him. His blue eyes and genuine smile captured her heart that first day, despite her best intentions.

“I didn’t see him notice me though; I know it’s mad to think he’d ever, you know. But maybe if he just sees me as, as, I don’t know, someone else for tonight…” Jenny’s outspoken thoughts trailed off with hesitation.

“Look, why wouldn’t he be interested in you? He’s always really nice to you.” Alice said.

“He’s really nice to everyone, he’s a NICE guy.”

“Yeah, but he just might not want to go out with someone he works with, you know? Don’t get your hopes up too high.”

Jenny didn’t answer and Alice knew it was too late for that, time for plan B.

“Ok, so what are you wearing tonight?”

“Well.., I think I’ll probably go with the green one.” She said and waited.

“Really?”

“What? You don’t think I should go with the green one? I know I don’t normally go for green, but I always wear black. I thought it might make a nice change. I should probably stick to black, it suits me…” she said, her fingers pulling at her waistband.

“Jenny, will you stop?! I was just surprised that you would consider the green one. It’ll look amazing on you.” Alice said, waving her hand from Jenny’s short blonde bob down to her dainty feet. She really was a petite pretty. “Besides Rob won’t know what’s hit him when he sees your legs tonight!”

“Oh stop it! I’ll be too nervous to go at all…”

They both took a long sip from their tea.





“Going with a short dress, are we?! Regina’s voice startled the girls.

“Oh, hi, didn’t see you come in. Yes, well maybe, I haven’t decided what I’ll be wearing really. What about you?” Jenny mumbled.

“It won’t be short and green, I can tell you that. Probably black and elegant, classy, you know?” She replied as she sauntered towards the kettle, doubting very much that Jenny knew what classy looked like. Jenny and Alice looked at each other and with a last gulp of their tea, headed back into the midst of Friday afternoon banking madness.





The next two hours snailed past despite the number of customers Jenny dealt with. Finally, at four o’clock, the doors closed and for the last hour a quiet peace enveloped the office. It was like the calm after a designer shoe sale, and everyone had to sort out and deal with the aftermath. Accounts had to be adjusted, lodgements entered and monies balanced. This was Jenny’s favourite time of day, when she could gather her thoughts and be in charge of leaving her little section in perfect order. She was just putting on her coat when someone lifted the other sleeve to help her. She spun around and found her nose inches away from Rob’s chest.

“Oh! Hi! Em, thanks,” she hesitated and fought the colour rising to her cheeks once again.

“No problem. Was just heading out the door myself, thought I’d pop over. It was busy today.”

“Yeah, yeah it was,” she answered, “you going to the party tonight?!” She bit her lip as she buttoned her coat, and looked up at him.

“Sure, hope to see you there.” Rob flashed his widest grin, lifted his briefcase and headed towards the door, glancing back at Jenny, “You leaving?”

Jenny cursed at herself for having to give Alice a lift home and shook her head.





Jenny heard the phone ringing from the corridor and dropped the keys twice trying to hurry. She opened the door and fumbled for the light switch. She closed the door, bolted and locked it. The phone stopped ringing just as Jenny reached for it, of course. Wonder what Mum could want tonight? she thought, dumping her bag on the hall table, and replacing the phone. She reset the Caller ID, hung up her grey winter coat and headed straight for the kitchen. The apartment was small but cosy and was Jenny’s first home away from home. The heating had been programmed to come on half an hour earlier and the apartment felt warm and welcoming in the dim hall light. She had spent weeks choosing her favourite family photos to hang on the walls, and enjoyed them welcoming her home every evening after a hard day’s work. She had painted the kitchen a bright yellow colour and the light danced off the walls as she hit the switch. She took out the lasagne from the freezer, her foot tapping the door shut behind her. “Twelve minutes in the microwave at full power,” she read off the back of the packet, just enough time for a shower. She popped it in and set the timer.





Jenny emerged from the bathroom like a mermaid through the mist. The stiff bank-smell had been washed from her glowing skin and she felt recharged for the night ahead. Her wet hair clung to her face and neck, smelling like honey and coconut. Jenny finished the lasagne, her first and last meal of the day and reached for the phone. She turned into her little purple bedroom, dialling her mother’s number. It only rang once.





“Hi Mum I missed your call what’s up?” Jenny breathed in one go.

“Hi Jen, nothing really, just wanted to make sure you’re ok”.

Jenny was routing through the closet hoping that the perfect outfit for tonight would suddenly jump out at her. It didn’t.

“Of course I’m ok! Why wouldn’t I be?” Jenny asked, holding up the green dress as she shouldered the phone to her right ear.

“Well, it’s nothing to worry about love, but Jimmy was here.”

Jenny dropped both the dress and phone onto the messy floor.

“What do you mean Jimmy was there?!” she asked when she located the phone under the bed.

“He was here looking for you, but I told him you moved to Germany, to live with your Dad. He seemed…sad, I suppose. But I don’t think he’ll be back. So don’t you worry, alright love?”

Jenny was quiet. She thought of all the hurt and pain he had caused her. He was so caring when they first met at college. But he broke her heart, and two of her ribs, before she dumped him almost a year ago. She winced at the memory and put it straight out of her mind.

“Are you ok Jen, do you want me to come over?”

“No, it’s ok Mum. I’m fine. I just, I never thought he’d come back, you know. Shit, I can’t believe he came over to your house. How dare he?! What did he say?”

“He just wanted to know if he could speak to you. I said I’d never let him near you again, and besides you’d moved over to your Dad’s and he seemed, disappointed. He said he was sorry for everything and then just turned and left. You’d never think of contacting him would you?”

“No! God no! I don’t think about him anymore. He’s the last person on my mind.”

“Really?!” her mother asked. Jenny could hear her eyebrow rising over the phone. “So are you thinking about anyone else in particular?” She waited as Jenny thought.

“There is this guy at work...”

“Is there?!” Her mum answered before Jenny could finish. “Tell me all about him!”

Jenny spent the next 10 minutes describing Rob’s best features to her mother who was an even divide of delight and concern.





“So tonight’s the big night, eh?”

“No, Mum, I don’t know if he’ll even notice me. His father will be there and he might get caught talking business all night. We’ll just have to wait and see.” Jenny said.

“His father?”

“Yeah, he’s the manager at the branch.”

“Well we’ll just have to make sure he does notice you! What are you wearing?”

“Right now I’m in a bathrobe Mum! He’ll definitely notice me in this!” Jenny laughed and felt more hopeful.

“I hope you’re not going for something black again, are you love?”

“I can’t, Regina Frost, from Customer Services is definitely wearing black,” she said, “and I can’t compete with her,” she added as an afterthought.

“Don’t think about her,” her Mum advised, “do you still have the blue halter neck dress you wore to Kirsten’s wedding? It’s beautiful. What about that one?”

“I can’t wear that! It’s far too low cut Mum, my boobs practically fall out of it if I’m not careful!” Jenny remembered the almost-incident at her cousin’s wedding and was surprised her mother thought it was right for tonight’s party.

“But it’s so right for the party, Jen, you’ll look stunning,” her mum encouraged, “it’s a gorgeous dress and if you’ve got it, flaunt it!”

“Mum!” Jenny said, “right then, hang on.” She dropped the phone onto the bed, found the dress in the wardrobe and pulled it over her head.

The dress was perfect.

“You’re right Mum, it’s perfect.”

“Ok, off you go and ring me tomorrow, I want all the details.” her mum said. “And I love you.”

“Love you too Mum.”





The taxi driver beeped twice to let Jenny know her carriage was waiting to take her to the ball. She threw a quick glance out the window and cursed the rain. A minute later she was in the back seat on her way. The closer she got to the hotel the bigger the butterflies in her stomach became until they eventually turned into tennis balls, bouncing and fighting for room. She paid the driver and faced the illuminated granite hotel. Her stomach now struggled with the huge bowling ball of anticipation, nerves and outright fear. At least the rain had stopped as she made her way up the steps to reception. Hesitating at the doorway, she looked up at the new moon and inhaled to steady herself. She watched her breath escape into the freezing night air like a wisp of icy smoke and hurried in. Her hand trembled as she pressed the lift button and waited for the doors to close. She tapped her right foot mentally screaming hurry up until she reached her floor. The music from the party drifted towards her as she passed drunken colleagues, puking into unsuspecting plastic plants that lined the corridor to the function room. They’d obviously started the party as soon as they left the bank, Jenny judged by their now wrinkled and stained work attire. She steeled herself before entering the room and pushed her way in through the heavy oak door. One quick glance and she decided the bar was the best place to start.





“What can I get ya, babe?” the eager barman yelled over the blaring disco music.

“Vodka and diet coke,” Jenny answered looking around, trying to find a friendly face. She could see none.

“There you go, babe, that’s €8.00 please.”

“Thanks.” Jenny sucked at her glass turning around, until her eyes finally landed on Regina Frost. Shit she thought, as Regina smiled back at her.

Great, she’s coming over, Jenny sighed, and turned to face the barman again. She gave him a hesitant smile and closed her eyes as she heard Regina’s welcome.

“Oh, you made it, Jen! That’s great. You look adorable!” Regina gushed, all fake smiles and teeth.

“Yeah, just got here. You look nice Regina, love the dress”, Jenny squirmed as she looked across Regina’s shoulder for Alice, or Rob, or hell, even talking to Mr. Stevens, the boss, would be better than stuck here, in a fake smiling contest.

“Yes, it’s Chanel, totally worth it of course. Weren’t you going to wear a green dress? Blue is much better on you, although you’d better put those two away, or they’ll get you into trouble!” Regina gestured at Jenny’s ample cleavage with her wine glass. And then tipped it over her.

“Oh my God! What the hell?!” Jenny shouted as the red wine soaked her chest and trickled in between her breasts.

“Oh, I’m so so sorry Jen! Are you alright?! Had a couple of these already.” She said shaking the empty glass. Regina faked concern as well as smiles and Jenny glared poisoned darts at her. The barman offered Jenny some napkins and she mouthed a thanks at him.

“Well, I suppose I’ll see you later Jen, though maybe you should soak that dress in water straight away. Red wine leaves an awful stain you know,” Regina said as she strolled away. Jenny patted her dress and examined the damage, sighing in defeat.





“You ok Jenny? That Regina really is something. Don’t let her get to you.”

Jenny was surprised to see Mr. Stevens speaking to her with a look of sincere sympathy. He was a man of importance and carried over half a century of experience well. The multi-coloured disco lights were reflected by the beads of sweat on his balding head as Jenny answered him.

“No, I’m fine Mr. Stevens, really, thanks,” Jenny didn’t want her boss to witness her embarrassing situation, and hoped he would take the hint and leave. He didn’t.

“You know, that’s what I admire about you Jenny…”

Jenny’s head shot up. “Excuse me?! Admire?”

“Yes, people give you bullshit all day, and you not only handle it, hic, you rise above it, way above it.” Mr. Stevens lifted his hand above his head and staggered a little.

“Enjoying the party Mr. Stevens?!” Jenny asked, raising an eyebrow and hiding a smile.

“Yes! And you know what?” he said, leaning towards Jenny as though he were about to share a trade secret, “I want you to enjoy the night too!”

“That’s great Mr. Stevens, I will, thanks,” Jenny replied turning to retrieve her drink from the bar.

“That’s why I’m goin to tell you bout your promotion now Jen, hic, instead of after the holidays,” her boss said raising his own eyebrow and hiding a smile.

Jenny spun around to face him and said “what?!” almost choking.

“Aha, yes, I’ve decided to put Regina into Mortgages, so she’ll be moving upstairs in January. Now that means.., what does that mean..?! Yes, yes, that means we’ll need a new Customers Services advisor, you. Well, you and Alice.” He said.

“Mr. Stevens! I can’t believe it, thank you!” Jenny hugged her boss and he stumbled again.

“Oh, sorry, are you ok?!”

“Fine, fine Jenny, and you have nothing to be sorry for,” he said, his eyes glazed and happy, “I’m sorry I didn’t promote you sooner, like Rob said”.

“Again, what?!” Jenny stood there like a child looking at a parent.

“Rob’s been going on and on at how great you are at the job, but are wasted as a cashier. So with a little training, you and Alice will be in charge of Customer Services.”

He put his arm around Jenny’s shoulders and pulled her towards him to share another secret. He leaned his head closer and Jenny cringed at the smell of cheese and onion crisps and whiskey on his breath. “Between you, me and the barman, there is going to be some trouble in the banking industry before long. We’re already noticing problems and soon enough the country’s going to be in huge financial trouble. You mark my words”, he said pursing his lips, “we’re going to need capable staff, Jenny; we’re going to need you. Less than half the Mortgages we dealt with this year will be sold next year. Regina can handle that much, I hope.”

Jenny took in this information like a child learning the truth about the tooth fairy. She didn’t want to hear this revelation, but appreciated being treated like a trustworthy, responsible adult.

“You’re trustworthy, Jenny, responsible too. Rob said you won’t let us down,” Mr. Stevens slurred waving his hand in Rob’s direction across the floor at the other end of the room. And that’s when Jenny saw him. He was with a group of suits, as Jenny and Alice called them; big banker wannabes, slowly climbing their way up the slippery ladder of the banking hierarchy. Mr. Stevens peered into his empty glass and leaned over to the bar, finally releasing Jenny from the bear hug.





She slipped out of Mr. Steven’s grip and took a step forward to check what she was really seeing. Straight across from her Rob was laughing and joking with a glass in one hand and a woman in the other. His arm was curled around her waist, shielding her from the gregarious and boisterous behaviour of his colleagues. Jenny didn’t recognise this beautiful redhead, but noted how she gazed at her Rob. She laughed with him and matched his movements, her body mimicking his. The barman gave Mr. Stevens another scotch-on-the-rocks, he winked at Jenny and made a beeline to where his son was standing. He laughed and gestured and finally pointed in Jenny’s direction. He gave Rob a manly slap on the back like father and trophy son and turned to entertain the group. Rob kept looking in Jenny’s direction, murmured an excuse and headed for her. She turned away, eyes pleading with the barman to save her.

“Vodka?!” he asked, eyebrows raised, in amusement it seemed.

“Double”.

The glass had just been returned to the bar top with a clink as Rob said hello.

“You look stunning, Jenny.” He said with a crooked half-smile.

“Thanks” she said, folding her arms to hide the stain.

“Em, Carl said he told you about the promotion, great news eh?!

“Yes, he told me, it’s great,” Jenny couldn’t look him in the face, she was too afraid disappointment or anger or one of a thousand different emotions would give her away.

“Oh, I almost forgot, I got this for you. It’s not much, just a little gesture to say thanks for all the hard work. Em, yeah, here,” he said rifling through the inside pocket of his suit jacket and handing her a long thin rectangular box. “It’s not much.”

Jenny took the box as though it might shatter if she held it too tightly. She looked up at him for the first time and once again cursed the plug that pulled in her stomach when their eyes met. She pulled the hinged lid of the dark blue box open and revealed a shiny silver pen within. Inscribed on it was her name Jennifer Evans.

“It’s beautiful, thank you. Why did you…I didn’t…I’m sorry I didn’t know or I would have…” she said, her eyes imploring his.

“No, don’t even worry about it, really. I just know you have, em, trouble holding on to pens, so I thought at least if you lose this one, some one will be able to return it…you know, it’s no big deal.” Rob shifted uneasily on his feet and half-smiled again.





Jenny was about to speak when the beautiful redhead interrupted her.

“Hi, you two look cosy over here,” she said grinning.

Rob sighed, “Jenny this is Rose, Rose Jenny.”

“Nice to meet you,” Jenny said.

“Likewise,” Rose returned, “heard a lot about you.”

Strange, thought Jenny, didn’t know you existed at all… Jenny smiled, fake of course.

“Rob, sorry to be a spoilsport, but can we go now? We still have to go to the Elliott’s party and my feet are killing me. Don’t you just hate that?!” Rose nodded in Jenny’s direction.

“Oh, yeah, hate it, definitely.” Jenny wished she had a drink in her hand.

“Yeah, I guess we have to go. Have a good Christmas Jenny, see you after the holidays.” Rob said turning away.

“You too, and thanks,” Jenny called after him, but it may have been lost in the music.





“Oh my God! What happened?! What did he say?!” Alice bounded over, mahogany curls bobbing around her face, before Jenny even realised she had arrived. Alice was always late.

“Sorry I’m late, couldn’t decide what to wear, tell me what happened! Start at the beginning, I want to know everything.” Patience was never one of Alice’s virtues.

“Well, Carl Stevens is making Regina a Mortgage advisor and he wants us to do her job, starting in January.” Jenny’s even tone matched the blank stare she gave in the direction where Rob and Rose had left.

“Oh my God! What? Oh my God! That’s great, Frosty upstairs and we get the good jobs! I can’t believe it, really, I can’t believe it.” Alice’s eyes were alight with the great news and the possibilities it would bring. “But go on, what happened with Rob?”

“He was here with Rose,” Jenny stated with as much sarcasm as she could manage, “gave me this lovely pen though…” She opened the box to show Alice her treasure and swept a finger over her name.

“Wow, that’s gorgeous. Faber-Castell’s a good make too, try not to lose this one Jen!”

“Didn’t realise the make, yeah, I know it, they’re German. And I’m half German, funny. Anyway doesn’t matter, cos he left with that Rose.” Jenny snapped the case shut.

“Yeah, thought I saw them leaving just then. Pity. Don’t know why he lets his sister come with him every year, it’s not even as if she works with us. Weird. Go out and get your own friends lady…” Alice chuckled.

“What?” She’s…she’s….his…sister?!” Jenny asked.

“Yeah, didn’t you know? I was talking to Joe from Pensions last week, great guy, got his number, is he here? Anyway, yeah, he said Rose comes with Rob every year and then he goes with her to her boss’s party. Weird set-up if you ask me, guess they don’t like going to these things alone.”

Jenny gazed at the door where Rob had left, and smiled, a crooked little half-smile. Happy at work…? Let’s see what the New Year would bring….





© Copyright 2009 RedButterfly (patricia3105 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1546910-Broken-Ribs-Broken-Heart