*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1548032-The-Wilderness
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Fantasy · #1548032
Werewolf - Novel idea? Intro to possible longer story, if you think I should...
Noah raced, panting, through the wilderness.  The night was illuminated by the pregnant moon, casting a hopeless gleam over the world.  The memory of the hunt was still fresh in his mind; fresh as the tepid blood dripping from his savage teeth as he passed by trees, jumping over low hanging branches.  His thoughts were inescapable.  He was a prisoner to the compulsions, to which generations of fathers had sentenced him, without hope of reprieve.  He could not help what he was, a killer.



The deer had been no enemy and certainly not a worthy opponent.  It had fallen easily to the ravaging claws and crippling canines.  Her neck snapped without a second’s hesitation and Noah fed on the rich, succulent, dripping meat.  He was almost satiated when the realisation of what he had done became clear.  This momentary understanding was as bright as a lonesome star.  So he ran.  Leaving the deer ripped open, he tore into the night, hoping the darkness would take him.  He couldn’t escape his actions, his thoughts or himself.  Worst of all, he couldn’t outrun the longing he felt – to do it again.



Noah came to the lake’s shore at the edge of the forest.  The moon beams danced off the rippling waves, mocking the horror he felt.  He stared at the creature on the water’s surface and cringed away in repulsion.  His blood-soaked lips curled back over razor sharp teeth and he howled his heart into the night. 



Nothing could ease the utter desperation and helplessness he felt.  He was a savage creature, by genetics, not by choice, but it did not matter.  Noah could not control the instincts that raged within him every month since he became a man.  And he knew it.  The urges were too strong regardless of how disgusted or remorseful he felt afterwards.  It was for this reason he chose to live in the wilderness.  His isolated existence in the wilderness was safer, for other people.  The wildlife did not escape so easily.  Noah took tiny comfort from the fact that the nearby villagers had had no trouble with bears or mountain lions since he moved to the cabin.  It was merely a matter of location.  Whoever or whatever crossed his dangerous path on this night would be forsaken.  History allowed it; the curse demanded it.



As Noah looked up he saw a small glimmering light.  It was shining from the old hunter’s lodge further up the shoreline.  Instantly he realised someone was there, in the decrepit old shack, abandoned so long ago.  No one had been there while he had lived in the woods and he suddenly felt a pounding in his chest.  What if someone comes out? He was more than a trained killer, he was instinctual.  The sight, smell or sound of a warm beating heart would drive his inner demon into a frenzy, and there would be no hope of return.  Noah prayed he still had enough strength at that moment to run away from the light and not towards it.  It was then he heard a gasp.



It was a tiny sound in the midnight woods, hidden by leaves whispering in gentle breezes.  But Noah heard it with the clarity that someone hears their lover call their name.  This intake of breath was a beacon to him.  Calmed him, alerted him, awakened him to the presence of another.  In the same instant he became very aware of a heart beat, ba-bumming rhythmically, and now thud-thudding a moment later.  He eased his head in towards the sound, his eyes glazed-over in anticipation.  His tongue draped, salivating over his lower fangs, already tasting sweet defeat.  Then he saw her.  This slip of a girl was not a worthy foe either and a minuscule part of Noah fought internally what would happen now.  But it was not enough.  There was no need to hurry, it was not as though she could out-run him, fight him off, injure him, kill him or tear his broken body asunder and devour it.  He swept his eyes over her body, savouring and repelling each second of this agony.  Her dark curls billowed over her slender shoulders in the night air as she stood frozen, mesmerised by him.  Her white gown shone silver in the moonlight as Noah visualised how his bloodied teeth would destroy it, and her.  His eyes locked onto hers as he caught her scent on the breeze and prepared to pounce.



But he didn’t. She stared at the man-size wolf in front of her and he was caught in her gaze.  Noah was unsure if it was her look or her scent which eased the savage beast, but he did not move; could not move.



She stared at him as though she were in awe, not in fear.  She bathed in the deep blue eyes of this magnificent creature and although she knew she should be afraid, Evelyn was not.  To her, he was perfect.  Her human pulse beat wildly in her veins as she stood, gaping at him, his strong muscular body rippling under his charcoal coat.  Lips curled back exposing icy white sharp razor teeth.  But his eyes, his eyes were shallow pools of endless sadness that she could not fear. 



For the first time since his transition, the beast was not in control, the human was.  The man within the wolf somehow held the beast at bay and found the strength to turn and run.  He raced through the wild forest, fighting trees and vines on his way back to the cabin.  If I can just put enough distance between us, it will be safer.  Safer for them both  he hoped.  He knew if he did not succeed she would lose her life and he would take his own.  He had not killed a human, yet, but it had come close on a couple of occasions.  He winced at the memory of his mother's face.  Noah realised he could not trust himself around people at these cursed times and put himself out of temptation’s way, until tonight.  It had come close, too close, and this time there had been no guardians around to ensure he didn’t hurt or kill someone.  How was that possible? He wondered.  Noah's inherited instincts were absolute – wolves under the full moon kill, no exceptions.



Until now. Where did she come from? Why was she here?  And other questions darted through his mind as Noah sped through the doorway and slid to the floor, panting.  He could feel the sunrise creeping over the treetops as his heartbeat returned to normal and the transition reverted.  He lay there exhausted, as always, willing sleep to wash the memories of the night away.  He curled into the sheepskin rug in front of the fireplace in his quiet log cabin and succumbed to slumber.  Thoughts of the soul-searching gaze which had locked him in place and freed his inner strength played through his dreams. He recalled her hypnotic scent, human, but with an edge he couldn't place.  He had felt her power and used it to save them both.  He knew he had to find out more about her, see her again, when it was safe.  He would recognise her, but she would never know who he was.  This gave him an advantage to find out the answer to the most important question of all – Who was she?

© Copyright 2009 RedButterfly (patricia3105 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1548032-The-Wilderness