*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1549655-Baby-Love
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Women's · #1549655
Sandra rushes to hospital to have a baby-how will it end? Surprise?!
Baby Love





Sandra’s eyes shot open.  The sharp twinge in her side woke her instantly.  Lifting her head she met the alarm clock's angry glare.  5.15am. She rubbed her tummy in soothing circles, which was relaxing but also made her want to pee, again.  She tiptoed to the bathroom, trying not to waken her husband Ed.  He’d suffered enough false alarms and she didn’t want to embarrass herself  by “crying baby” once again.  The toilet seat was cold against the backs of Sandra’s thighs and involuntary ripples of goose bumps made her shudder.  Her eyes half closed again as she finished peeing, and wiped.  She got up, letting the soft cotton nightdress shimmy over her legs.  Reaching for the handle she paused, outstretched hand frozen in mid air.  Sandra was suddenly wide awake as she realised the mucus plug was clearly visible in the bowl. 





She tapped Ed on the shoulder, “Ed, Ed, it’s time,” her urgent whispers were enough to rouse him as he had been waiting for this night since her due date passed almost week ago. 

“Is it..?” he said half sitting up on his right elbow and rubbing his eyes with his free hand.

“Yes, put the bag in the car Ed, I’ll call Rachel.  And Ed, be quiet, don't wake Ella and Sam”.

He nodded in reply and shot out of bed.  He was dressed and downstairs by the time Sandra’s sister answered the call.

“Rachel, it’s time…”

“What? Oh, oh God, right.  We’ll be there in 5 minutes.  Just hang on.  Are you ok?” Rachel was a jitter ball of excitement and nerves.

“Fuf, fuf, fuf,”

“Sandra…Sandra, you ok?!” Rachel said hearing the panting on the other end.

“Yeah, just be quick, we have to go.  Hurry.”

Rachel had already hung up so Sandra made her way to the kitchen avoiding the creaky floor board at the top of the stairs.  She glanced in the direction of her sleeping children for a moment and blew them a silent kiss.  Pausing in the doorway, she leaned her full weight against the frame and held on to her swollen tummy, panting.  Ed rushed to her side, recognising the signs and led her to the nearest chair.  Instead of sitting, she held onto the back, knuckles white with concentrated forced breaths.

“How bad are they?” he asked.

“Bad, faster than they should be,” she replied slapping her weight onto the seat.  She folded her arms across the table in front of her and rested her head, catching her breath and letting her heavy eyes flutter closed.





The front door flew open.

“We’re here, how are you sis?” Rachel and her husband Andy rushed to her side.

“Better now you’re here.” She said lifting her head and revealing a gentle smile.  It didn’t last long.  It was swallowed up by a contraction so strong it made Sandra cry out.

“Right, we’re going.  Can you manage Andy?  The kids are asleep, you can use the guest room.  You know where everything is.” Ed guided his wife towards the door, throwing a coat over her shoulders.

“Don’t even think about us, we’ll be fine. Go, go, see you later.”  Andy stood up and gave Rachel a last tight embrace and kissed her urgently before Ed whisked them out into the cold early morning air.





The sun was just touching the horizon and warming the sky with a tender morning glow as Ed pulled into the local hospital.  Rachel had phoned from the car to alert them of their arrival and a nurse was waiting with a wheelchair. 

“Mrs. Mathews?” the nurse asked raising both eyebrows and smiling.  She easily recognised the erratic driving and parking methods of fathers-to-be.  They hurried straight to the delivery room, Sandra’s howls announcing their coming.  Rachel followed carrying the overnight bad, clutched tightly to her chest.





The bright sterile lights in the delivery room blinded Sandra as the nurses helped her onto the crisp white bed.

“My name is Jane.  I'm your midwife and I’m going to help you have the baby now.  We need to examine you love, to see how far on you are.  I’m afraid you can only have one birthing partner with you.”

Sandra glanced at her husband and her sister.  Ed and Rachel looked at each other and hugged before Ed leaned in to kiss his wife.  “I’ll see you soon, honey.  You can do this, you’ve had the practice!”

“Thanks babe, very funny.  Definitely the last time, I promise.  I love you.”

“I love you too, see you soon.”  He took the bag from Rachel and with a last glance Ed left the room to the women.





“Sandra, I’ve some good news.  You’re fully dilated, lucky you made it in time love!  You’ll feel the need to push soon.  Just go with it.  Do you want pain relief?” the nurse looked at the sisters, hovering, with the gas and air mask in her hand.

“No, no, I can do it.  I don’t want anything.  Natural birth, that’s what we agreed.” Sandra was certain.

“Maybe you should Sandra, think about it.  I’m sure it’s ok.” Rachel’s hand was suffering from her sister’s bone crushing grip.

“No, I’m ok.  I can do this. I’m fi…..aaghh, fuf, fuf, fuf…” Sandra’s words were lost in the panting and wailing until the contraction was finally over.

Rachel couldn’t understand how she could take so much pain, but trusted her sister’s decision, as always. Rachel was in agony watching her sister in pain helplessly.  She hoped simply being there would be enough.  What else could she do?





“Remember when we were little and we had that old apple tree in the back garden?”  It wasn't exactly pain relief, but Rachel felt the distraction might help too.

“Yeah, it was huge, great apples though.  What about it? Hah hah hah, fuf, fuf.”

She waited for the contraction to pass and Rachel continued, “can you remember the time I wanted the biggest red apple right at the top and was going to climb up and get it?”

“That must be over 20 years ago Rachel, and I’m in labour, so no, I can’t remember it right now….fuf, hah, God damn it, this hurts…” Sandra broke off as little sweat beads rolled down her face.

Rachel's eyes fell on a basin of cool water.  She held a cold face cloth to her forehead and slipped some ice chips into her sister’s dry mouth and cooled her lips.

“Well you wouldn’t let me go up there to get that bloody apple. Said it was too high and I'd get hurt.  I was really mad at you, I wanted it so badly.  So you decided to go up and get it for me.  I couldn't believe you would do that."

“Oh yeah, I do remember.  I was wearing my favourite purple jeans.  Had glitter on them or something.  Well I couldn't very well let you up there.  You were so little you'd have broken your neck.  And then what would mum have done.  Bad enough losing Dad like that, without... you know.” Sandra said wiping a damp strand of hair out of her eyes.  The passing of their father had taken a massive toll on their little family.  They had knitted together and formed a tightly bound unit.  The alternative was breaking into individual lost pieces and this was simply not an option.  This invisible tie connected them throughout their lives, barely touched by marriage, work or other life events that would normally distance people from those they love.





The nurse came over to the siblings, “alright girls, it’ll soon be time, the contractions are very close together.”

“Anyway, I got the apple, didn't I?  Oh, not again, hah, hah, hah,” Sandra rocked with the intensity of the pain and knew it wouldn’t be long.

“You got the apple alright and while you were climbing down slipped and fell, remember?”

“Uh huh, yeah, ripped my jeans, stupid tree…and?”

“I never said thanks, that’s all.  You've always looked out for me and I've never said thanks.  I just thought now would be a good time to say it.” Rachel suddenly felt very dumb for having brought up the story.

“In fairness I did crush your apple on the way down,” Sandra managed a faint smile, “besides you ran inside you were so upset, got plasters, bandages, tape, the works.  I think you got a bigger fright than I did.  You were too busy sticking my knee back together to bother with thanks.  And you hate the sight of blood.  You've looked after me as much as I have you.  You know that we have to stick together.  With mum gone, it's what she would have wanted.  We stick together, always, help eachother when we can, no matter what.  Why on earth would you bring that u……hah, hah, fuf, fuf, oh God, I have to push!  I have to push!”

The midwife and nurses rushed over, almost trampling on Rachel.

“That’s great love, you push!  Go with it, push down hard!  Push as long as the pain lasts, then rest.”

Sandra gripped Rachel’s hand even tighter.  Rachel didn’t notice.  She watched her big sister in awe.  Two contractions later and the nurses cheered.

“The baby’s head is through Sandra!  Well done.  One more push, love.  Push down hard as soon as you feel the pain start, nearly there….”

Sandra looked Rachel straight in the eyes and the sisters held on to each other for dear life, smiling in anticipation.

“Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhhhh…….” Sandra bore down harder than before and finally brought the tiny baby girl into the world.

“It’s a girl Sandra, she’s just beautiful.  Well done pet, well done.  She’s perfect.  We’re just going to clean her up a little and you can hold her…” the midwife’s voice trailed off as she moved across the room to weigh and clean the infant.





“You did it sis,” Rachel said crying.  She rubbed her sister’s forehead with the cool cloth and planted kisses on her damp head.

“We did it, Rach.” Sandra managed to raise the corners of her mouth a little and lay back against the pillows.  Her legs trembled from the exertion and she let her eyes close.  It was 9am and the sunlight trickled into the room through the thin blinds.

“Here you go, pet, your wee baby girl.  Weighs 7 pounds 4 ounces, a good size,” the midwife held out the pink bundle to Sandra. 

“I’m so tired, can’t keep my eyes open.  I know Rachel would love to hold her, can she?” Sandra’s voice whispered as her eyes half closed again.  She wanted her sister to be the first to cradle the new baby.  Ever since Rachel had found out that she and Andy couldn't have children this pregnancy was all she could dream about.  Sandra couldn't stand to see her sister in pain and just hoped she could ease it for her, a little.  Their bond had strengthened thousandfold when their mother had died.  Her last words to them were to love each other fiercely and both sisters clung to this without doubt or hesitation.  They were one.

“Em, sure, of course.  Here you go.  Just support her wee head there.  Neck muscles aren’t that strong yet.  That’s it, great.  I’ll just tidy up and arrange to have you brought to the maternity ward.”

“Thanks Jane,” Sandra managed, “and can you get my husband, Ed, please?  He’s been waiting for hours…”

The nurse left the room and Sandra watched Rachel smiling down at the new arrival.

"I can't wait to tell Andy, he'll be so overjoyed you know."  Rachel cooed.

"I know, he's a great guy.  He'd do anything to make you happy.  I'm glad you found him."

“She’s, she’s so beautiful.  I can’t believe it.  Are you ok?” she asked looking at her sister exhausted in the now crumpled bed.

“I've been through worse.”

“It was really bad, wasn’t it?  The pain I mean…” Rachel was hesitant.  She’d never seen a child being born, never mind help someone do it.

“It was ok, I’m used to it!” Sandra’s eyes showed the genuine love she felt, “no worse than a scraped knee...”

Rachel looked up and smiled, “thanks isn’t nearly enough sis…guess I owe you a new pair of purple glittery jeans...” her voice softened as her tears fell.

“Don’t Rach, I can't stand to see you cry.”

The nurse returned and Ed rushed over to Sandra’s side.  After hugging his wife for several moments he looked at the women.

“Well, how did it go?!”

The sisters smiled as the nurse answered, “they’re all great, it went very well.  Have you thought of a name for her yet mum?!”

“Yes, Sarah Jane Kelly,” Rachel answered, and brushed her lips over her new daughter’s little head as she nestled in her arms.

© Copyright 2009 RedButterfly (patricia3105 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1549655-Baby-Love