*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1551130-The-River
by Raj
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #1551130
This river may enchant you...
3/20/2009



The River



  Time was flowing away like waves and she was seated like a stone by the eternal river of life... dying with each wave passing by. A mute spectator, she was oblivion to everything; even with her own existence but the waves, sparkling, dancing and fluting a song, sad and strange to the ears. There was nowhere to go... nothing to see for she has arrived here at the end of the river and now there was only one thing ...to wait for the final darkness to fall upon her being. Then she would be immersed in the darkness away from the light, music and motion...away from pain the river has been giving to her... saved from its enchanting lullaby.



A shadow was lurking behind this miserable soul watching since long and waiting for her departure. Many places are there for the loonies like that to loiter around…why doesn't this creature do what it has to do. Jump in the river for Christ' sake if you have nothing to do or nowhere to go! Can he take the risk and help her for a while to achieve her perceived ambition...should he? One thing or another or this dumb lady is going to ruin everything...it's getting too late now.



“Hey! Wassup? What are you doing here lady? Fishing in the dark? “



The man crawled nearer to her in a menacing way. Startled, she looked up to the person who plucked her away from the murmuring of waves. A looming darkness with the shadow of this stranger and the faint insight of evil made her move closer to the river instinctively.



“Nothing…just reflecting by the river…Not fishing really…” She whispered grabbing a stone for support.



“It's about time really, I should leave now…” She excused herself, ready to flee. '



“Yeah. Sure it is.” He was inching closer now. “Watch yourself! You could drown yourself!”



Terror gripped her heart and she stood there, immobile like a dead fish on the stones.



“Too many people come here for suicide spree these days. This place seems quite in vogue.” He mocked with a whistle. One inch closer and she would dive in the river…away from all troubles…



As if he read her thoughts and leapt to catch her in time. “What the hell!! You are really a freak!” Thrashing her over the stones he fumed with hatred. Suddenly she realized the danger of being alive, the anguish it was about to lash again. This brief contact was enough to smolder his senses but he was not ready for that at this time, certainly not at this place.



“Sweetheart, you took a really long time to decide and see…Now you have no authority…no choice in fact.” With a sweet smile he started to tie her hands and legs with a nylon rope. “Just seat here as long as you wish. I'm willing to give you company whole night.”



At her bruised feet the stream was roaring down as she was trembling with cold and fear. Night spread its wings over all things and all she could see was darkness which was far from comforting now. The song of the river was chilling and soft breeze was piercing her limb. Desire of death died inside her as the death itself marched towards her. “I do not want to die yet. Not here... Not like this. Not from the hands of this bastard!” A huge splash drenched her as that man pushed down a sack from the rocks above her head. Shivering beyond her control now she could hear his footsteps coming closer. She rolled toward the river fiercely before that hunter could reach her. Her body relaxed as the waves caressed her wounds. Sharp edge of the cliff cut the rope quickly and she wavered like a mermaid, going down with the stream. He stood crestfallen as the catch evaded him. Humming of the River mocked the hunter for he was fooled by a dead fish…



© Copyright 2009 Raj (sera_sear at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1551130-The-River