*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1551664-GBN-Broadcast-Report-For-Nov-9th-2300
Rated: 13+ · Other · Sci-fi · #1551664
Online Bonus Item: Takes place just before Chapter 1 of Out of the Gray--Portia Roberts
Welcome to 'Live at Noon'--I'm Portia Roberts. Today is Monday, November 9, 2300.

Our top story: Despite an unprecedented number of protesters, diplomatic negotiations between the United States Congress and Hannaria's Ambassador continue today at the Johnson Memorial Building in Washington, D.C. Top items listed on the agenda include an update on the progression of the Space Station Destiny project--now set to be completed in early February of 2302--and the annual debate over the proposed amendment to the Technology Agreement of 2113 to allow the use of Hannarian medical scanners in Earth hospitals.

With us today are Republican Senator Mark Wallace, Democratic Senator Richard Glenn, and Earth Independence Party Senator Fred Keller. Gentlemen, thank you for taking the time to join us during your lunch recess. First of all, I think I can speak for most of the viewers of this program when I say these diplomatic meetings are probably one of the most difficult aspects of your positions--considering the decisions you make not only have the potential to impact our country but the entire planet.

Senator Wallace, out of everyone here you have taken the most public criticism for your surprise decision to break the deadlock that resulted in the Destiny project in 2290. Can you give us some insight into your thought process when making these decisions--especially in relation to the vote later today on the Hannarian medical scanner issue.

Wallace: I think the number one misconception that's out there Portia is that these kinds of decisions are just made on a whim--I mean no one ever brings up that I voted against the Destiny project for seven years before I felt like enough evidence was presented by Hannaria's Ambassador to make it a viable project that is in the best interest of both planets. I'd also like to point out that over eight trillion dollars--four trillion in the United States alone--has been spent into Earth's economy by the Hannarian government to fund this project, and this is possibly going to turn into hundreds of trillions with the planned expansions not only to the station itself but increased future trade with Kydena and Hannaria. Most of my so-called public criticism has been through the EIP--not the general American public. There's a major difference in my opinion.

Roberts: Thank you, Senator Wallace. Senator Glenn, you seem like you're at a point where Senator Wallace was just a few years ago. You've voted against most Hannarian issues but have stated you are trying to keep an open mind. What are your concerns about the Hannarians that are causing you to use caution in relation to these major issues?

Glenn: Well, one thing that's always bothered me is even after 187 years of contact, we still don't know who we're really dealing with. The Ambassador has visited our planet hundreds of times since 2113 and knows everything about us--to the point he sometimes uses Earth movies for debate examples--and not one human has ever been allowed to set foot on Hannaria this entire time. The Hannarians want us to trust them, but it's obvious to me that they don't even completely trust us yet. I just think if they're being cautious, maybe we should be as well. I'm going to listen today, but it's going to take a lot more information on these medical scanners before I'm even going to consider voting for this amendment.

Roberts: A very valid point, Senator Glenn. Senator Keller, since the last election the Earth Independence Party now controls a fourth of the U.S. House and Senate, and your counterparts in the European Union and China have seen extraordinary rates of political growth as well in the past twenty years. Is this a trend you expect to continue or does the shifting in the votes in favor of the Hannarians by both the Republican and Democratic officials lead you to believe many of these worldwide deadlocks are starting to break?

Keller: I think the fact that more Republicans and Democrats have decided to side with the Hannarians is related to why our party is seeing so much success--not just with Hannarian issues but with major domestic and global issues the other two parties have failed to address for centuries. We are getting results, Portia. In the past ten years, there has been an influx of passionate and talented people into the party that are gaining the attention of voters. I've been very impressed by Representative Adam Verin from Virginia, who has given the Ambassador the first major political challenge I've seen in my entire career. I believe the combination of all these things--and the frustration that the Hannarians think they can gradually encroach on Earth if they're just patient--are going to be the reasons these deadlocks are not only going to stay in place but start shifting back in our favor.

Roberts: Thank you, Senator Keller. Coming up next, we'll be interviewing Ectotech C.E.O. Neil McFerrin on what to expect from the upcoming release of the new DMR operating system, Sapphire 8.2. Stay with us here on GBN, Los Angeles.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first three novels of the Hannaria Series are now available on Amazon.com at the following link:

Patricia Gilliam on Amazon.com  

If you would like to purchase a discounted ebook (Adobe .pdf) bundle of all three books, one is currently available through Lulu.com at this link for $9.99:

Hannaria Series Bundle  
© Copyright 2009 Patricia Gilliam (cougar1002 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1551664-GBN-Broadcast-Report-For-Nov-9th-2300