*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1552156-Bright-Eyes-Chapter-1--2
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1552156
Anah Griffin's parents are killed by Shadows, the rulers of her land. She wants revenge.
May 26, 275 Common Time
Twelve days, fourteen hours, and thirty-six minutes ago…Anah Griffin observed as she ran the rag cloth in her hand through the never clean mug. She bit her bottom lip as she glared out at the group of four crowded around the farthest table from the door and bar of The Weary Gin. Their mugs were filled to the rim, untouched for the past half hour. Anah had seen them here since her arrival eleven days ago.
Her soul family, Gwenal Griffin, her aunt, was busy tending to the dying fire near them. Her red hair was pulled back in a messy ponytail with strands sticking out all over the place. Her six times pierced ear was tilted towards the group clearly listening in on their discussions.
“Three dead,” the tallest man with golden hair spoke, “Killed in the death markets of Tirl once again. Two of them were spies of ours and the third an innocent bystander.” His long hair was elegant and noble. His beard and mustache were trimmed short to accent his high cheekbones. His weary green eyes were sunken in. Anah knew him as Jonathon Young but among the street rats he was known as “The General”
“We have to be careful,” a woman at the table said. She sat to the right of Jonathon so Anah could see her features better. Although they meant to whisper, Anah’s mother had taught her when she was twelve how to read lips. Her skin had a light blue tint from dragon descent. Her black hair was in tune with elf blood as well. Her oval shaped purple eyes were darting between the people of the table. Not once did her eyes look over at Anah.
Gwenal was standing up now and heading towards her niece. “Stop reading lips. You don’t want to be part of this Anah. The Renegade is too harsh for someone as young as you.” Anah glared at her aunt. Gwenal came around to the other side of the bar and joined Anah.
Gwenal’s hand covered in rings picked up a rag and cleaned a dirt mug beside her. “The Renegade is out against the kingdom and I am too.” Anah placed the mug back on the wooden bar glancing over at the four in the corner still in deep conversation. “I want to kill those Shadows just as badly as they do.”
Gwenal sighed and Anah observed the crow’s feet at her aunt’s eyes. Her frame was thin and caving in from time. Anah had known her aunt was part of the Renegade. Her parents had been too. “Anah, the world will not be a good one if we fight for revenge. They fight over there for what is right. You wish to fight for the death of your parents.”
Anah’s hand curled up in a fist. She felt the pressure of her nails digging into her skin. “I want to be a part of this. I’m sixteen and perfectly able to make my own choices.” Anah kept her eyes glaring at her aunt. “I’m pissed off. You’re right. I want revenge but if my revenge can help you why turn me down? Mum and Da trained me to be a warrior. I’ve got fair skills to own the streets.”
Anah tried not to think of her parents but there was no stopping the images. Her mum was there with white long hair as soft as silk, her twinkling green with a blue magik rim around her eyes, and her wide, gentle smile. Then her Da was there beside her mom. His thick brown hair just like Anah’s, his gray eyes causing mischief, and his prickly beard covering most of his cheeks.
Gwenal took Anah’s calloused hand and held it tight. Her thick, red lips were turned down in a frown. Her eyes were glazed over with tears. “You’re just like them which is why when they told me they didn’t want you fighting I knew I couldn’t stop it. But I had to try because they made me promise.” Gwenal had a little smile as she looked down at her hand in her niece’s, “They should’ve known you’d follow in their footsteps.”
“So, you’re saying I can fight?” Anah had seen the Renegade growing up as a child. Her parents were two of the original fighters in it. She had always wanted to be a part of it but her parents’ death due to the Shadows had driven her to actually do it.
Gwenal smiled, “Only if they let you in.” Gwenal pulled Anah around the bar towards the group, “Jonathon, I’ve got a new one for you.” Three of the four heads turned up. Anah saw that it was Jonathon, Sariana, and the oldest man Beliem whose eyes were on her. She didn’t look down. She had learned that any form of shyness would prevent them from seeing her as a warrior.
“Well, if I don’t know who you are than let the gods condemn me,” the old man Beliem yelled with a laugh. His dark skin was wrinkled from fifty years of fighting. His brown eyes twinkled with amusement as he leaned back in his chair.
“The eyes give it away Beliem,” Sariana placed her elbows on the table to look at her husband. “It may be years since they retired but our good friends are here in front of us inside of this little girl here.” Anah bit her lip to prevent herself from protesting against the little girl part.
Jonathon raised a hand so that husband and wife were silenced. “First, I want to apologize Anah for the loss of Naomi and Gregory. Your parents weren’t involved with Renegade since your birth but they were killed for their past actions.” Gwenal’s hand in Anah’s squeezed reassuringly. “I understand it was only twelve days ago.”
“Twelve days, fourteen hours, forty minutes to be exact sir,” Anah whispered looking at the three friendly faces. They had known her parents. They would understand her need to be here. “I want to work the streets sir. I know them pretty well since Gwenal had me run errands for her. I use to run a few for you as well when I was thirteen and spending the summer here I recall. I want to do more than run errands now. I’m sixteen.”
Jonathon nodded. Anah could tell that like her parents he was in his late forties. Beliem chuckled a bit, “Suddenly I see how they raised you. You are their daughter all right.” His eyes went down to Fawkes, Anah’s sword, dangling at her side. She had the blade since her eighth birthday when she started sword lessons with her Da.
Anah grew angry with herself. She had to be a warrior with no emotions yet here she was mourning the past. What’s done is done, she scolded herself. Her left hand reached down on the cold, steel hilt of the sword as if it would disappear that way. “She has the Looking Glass like my sister-in-law did,” Gwenal said by her niece’s side.
“Her eyes are both her father and mother together,” Sariana explained, “The blue rim around the gray. The blue is the magik that her mother had and the gray is her father’s color.” The woman was about early fifties. She was dressed in an elegant dress for someone of Renegade material.
“I’ve seen her fight,” Beliem noted, the man had come to visit her parents a few days before their death and she had been training with her Da. “She was better than Gregory and he was still as he was during his time with us.” Anah smiled slightly. Her Da used to complain more once she started getting him on his back first with her blade against his neck.
“You’re young though,” Jonathan arched an eyebrow. Stories from her mother had always mentioned the way he would do that. “We’ve had people with greater experience and older hung by the Shadows and their king. You of all people would know that.”
Anah shrugged, “Sir, if they expected me to be a threat I’d have had the noose around my neck beside my parents. They were inactive since my birth with the Renegade. My parents served as a warning to you that the Shadows will find you and kill you. They must think I know nothing of it.”
“She’s got a point Jonathon,” Sariana pointed at the General as he twiddled with his fingers in thought. Beliem was smiling widely leaning back in his chair. Sariana gave Anah a reassuring smile.
“Do you know about Shadows? They’re just as human as we are for a good portion of the beginning. Only older Shadows near death like the king will give off the black flames of death around them. Young ones will look just like regular people. Do you think you could stab a person, even if you knew they were already dead?” Jonathon’s tan skin was tangled with wrinkles and scars. He had fought some himself.
“I can do it,” Anah said with a firm, strong voice. She stuck her chin up and glared down a bit to show she was calm and ready for whatever came her way. Gwenal let go of Anah’s hand and walked around next to Jonathon so Anah could see her. Gwenal was worried, biting one of her long, red nails as her niece stood there on trial.
“Look at her Jonathon,” Beliem said with a smile on his face, “Loose baggy tunic to hide her chest, leggings that show her muscles, short brown hair, that’s what I see. She could be a good spy. In the night shift any witnesses might describe her as a boy. We don’t have any women fighters. She’d be helpful.” Anah smiled at the old man thankful she had chosen the night he was here to present her case to fight. He had been friendly when he came to visit her parents those few days before their hanging.
“You’re right,” Jonathon nodded his head and shifted his arm back to rest on his chair. “Anah, what say you? Do you want the night work traveling through the Justil? The lower parts of the city are the roughest. Shadows are always present. You’re going to fight.” Anah’s smile grew wider, that is exactly what she wanted. She knew Justil, or the lower city, better than anything else. She knew all the back roads, the alleyways, secret spots, and hiding places. She’d be helpful.
“Sir, I’d be honored to work the Justil. That’s just what I wanted,” Anah replied. Her statement brought a round of laughter from the three in front of her.
“Gwenal, bring Bright Eyes here a seat.” Anah’s aunt ran to an empty table and placed it next to Sariana who had willingly moved over to make room for her. The teen sat down and watched as her aunt rushed to the bar. “Now, there are things you ought to know about the Renegade,” Jonathon stared at her but Anah didn’t back away.
“First, from now on I’m the General to you on the streets. Actual names will get us killed in this world.” Anah nodded her head, she had known that rule as a messenger three summers ago. “Second, we don’t kill unless attacked first. We aren’t ready to start breaking fights. Third, we’re preparing for a war Anah. That means we need allies. We’re going to be dethroning this King and giving ourselves a leader.”
“Who?” Anah looked at the three, friendly people. She realized the fourth man was silent, his face covered by the shadows. He didn’t want to talk but Anah didn’t expect him to. She didn’t know his name or who he was. She knew him as a spy that came occasionally to The Weary Gin to discuss problems. His back always faced her at the bar so she never read his lips. He always wore a cloak over his face when he stood up to leave.
“My daughter Ione is the last living heir of the old royalty. She’s fifteen and we hope to put her on the throne when she’s older but the people are getting restless.” Jonathon sighed. Anah had met Ione when they were real young. The girl was a spitting image of her father and had the kindest compassion that had made Anah dislike her from the start. The girl wouldn’t fight for herself so Anah had to do it for her as kids. They hadn’t seen each other since Anah was fourteen and Ione was thirteen.
“So our goal is to put her on the throne and defeat the Shadows. Send them back to the wastelands were they were created to be.” Anah watched as Gwenal placed a large mug of ale in front of her. The brown liquid was foaming and fizzing all at once as Anah looked at her aunt. Her godmother shrugged and went to tend to the fire as usual.
“Exactly,” Sariana said. Although Anah had been trained to listen she had to really focus on what everyone was saying. Out of habit they were all whispering even though the tavern was filled with just them.
“Who is she going to work with?” Beliem inquired. Eyes turned to him, “Well, we determined she’s part of the Renegade. Now, who is Bright Eyes working with?” His warm eyes fell on Anah, “We always work in groups of two. That way we can guarantee someone will always be alive to get back to us.”
Anah glared at them, “My parents had been in a group of two and they both died.” She saw Jonathon shiver from her cold eyes like that of a ghost. Her voice too had been chilly and cut sharp like icicles.
Jonathon sighed, “You’re right but that was different Anah. They weren’t working for the Renegade when they were arrested. They chose to go with the Shadows and they were killed. On the streets, it’s different. You’ll have to fight for your life every day.”
“Are you saying my parents were scared? That they gave up?” Anah shifted her hands underneath the table so she could hide her fists. She wouldn’t hit the General no matter how much he had just insulted her right there.
A pale hand with a blue tint rested on her arm. Anah looked at it. “He’s not saying that Anah. You’re parents were done with their fighting. If they refused being taken then something may have happened to you.” Sariana’s voice was deep like honey and rich. “They loved you very much. Enough to quite the Renegade which your mother had started, they were never cowards. They were always about doing the right thing.”
Anah looked at her and smiled, “Thanks.” Sariana smiled backed and patted her warm hand on her arm. Anah looked at Jonathon who nodded his head and Anah knew that was the best of an apology she would get from him. “So who am I working with?”
“Remiel,” Jonathon replied, his eyes on the fourth member of the table, the one Anah didn’t know. Beliem’s smile disappeared for a moment and Anah tilted her head in confusion. Sariana’s hand pulled back from Anah’s hand to rest on the table.
“No,” a voice growled. Anah could barely see the movement of his lips in the darkness of his hood. She did see his pale fists covered with scars tighten. “I don’t want a partner anymore.”
“You’re partner just died Remiel I understand but you need one seeing as how you work in the worst parts of the Justil. Anah here has good training from the sounds of it and can be of use to you.” Jonathon leaned over the table and glared at the cloaked man, “She is your partner under my orders. Understand?”
Anah could hear his rough breathing as the man tried his best to remain calm. Seconds passed before he sighed with frustration and whispered, “Fine.”
“She’ll teach you a few things Remiel,” Beliem patted his large hand on the man’s shoulder. His warm rich laugh caught on to Jonathon and Sariana who began laughing as well. Beliem’s hand reached over towards Remiel and yanked the hood off the man’s head.
Anah got her first look at him and was shocked more or less of the man. He was early twenties with black feathery hair that hung in front of his dark blue eyes. His lips were in a thin frown as his eyes darted towards her. She glared slightly at him for the insult had given her for rejecting her as a partner.
Remiel’s mouth opened for a second as if he had something to say but he looked away from her and glared at Beliem. The other three were laughing over the little encounter. Gwenal had her hand covering her mouth, “I should’ve known you’d pair my niece up with someone she’d fight with.”
Anah’s frown twitched in a smile, “Don’t I fight with everyone?”
“We’ll see Bright Eyes,” Jonathon smiled wide. “We’ll have to see. I suggest tomorrow night you start with Remiel. He’ll give you the details later.” The front door creaked as someone entered. Everyone disported out of tradition. Renegade was as discreet as possible. Anah watched her new partner lift his cloak over his head and get ready to leave.
Jonathon stood and exited through the back private door only certain people knew of. Anah went to the new arrival to distract him from the company. Beliem and Sariana stayed together at the table as a couple out to dinner. Gwenal moved the chair Anah had been sitting in back towards the table it came from.
Anah yelped with excitement, “Emil!” Remiel lifted his head to watch as the young girl wrapped her arms around the new boy in the room. Anah saw her partner, with his hood covering his face, looking at her over the shoulder of her best friend.
Emil placed his arms around Anah in a tight hug. She stepped back and looked at him. Emil was only a few inches taller than she was at five feet five inches. Emil’s blonde hair was pulled into a ponytail and his hazel eyes were dancing with amusement at Anah’s happiness to see him. “I’m sorry for not coming sooner.”
Emil worked on her parents’ small farm with her Da. He was an orphan just like Anah was now. He was skinny and didn’t have any muscles. “Did you find a job?” Anah hadn’t seen her friend since her parents’ funeral. He had told her he would get a job in the lower city so he could see her at the Weary Gin whenever she needed him.
“I’m working for the city’s Tin man.” Emil made a face with disgust. Anah caught a whiff of his clothing. She smelled old decaying food and rust. He was a garbage man now. “I’m on the busier routes because I’m new. I won’t be able to see you as often as I planned.”
Anah patted his cheek and smiled, “You’ve got a job now. I understand.” She headed over towards the bar and grabbed the mug she had cleaned before. “Have a drink on me,” she continued filling it up from the half empty whiskey bottle.
Emil took it and sat down at the bar. “Thanks Anah.” At eighteen, Emil seemed older than he should’ve been in wisdom but younger in appearances. “How’s living with your aunt? I hope Gwenal is treating you well.” Emil raised his eyebrows expecting an answer from Anah.
“I hope you aren’t questioning my raising Emil,” Gwenal joined Anah behind the bar. Anah observed her aunt all smiles as she busied herself dumping the ale and whiskey from the Renegade’s table that went without drinking.
“Of course not, it’s just Anah’s a difficult person. Her parents had trouble with her,” Emil smirked. Anah raised her hand to hit him but she held back. Her friend was always teasing her and trying to get her to hit him. He thought it was funny how easily she got angry and tried to fight.
Anah dropped her hand on the table, “How’s the Tin man job going?” Now that she looked closer Emil had a scratch on his forehead and dirt on his cheek. Strange that he should look as if he didn’t have the job he did. Anah could tell he wasn’t lying though. Her Looking Glass magik would’ve allowed her to see that. He did smell bad though but he could’ve fallen into an alley way dump spot on the way here. Emil tended to fall down a lot.
“It’s well I suppose,” he took a large gulp of his drink. “How’s bartending going?” He smiled. Anah raised an eyebrow before shrugging. Her eyes made a search of the room with its wooden tables all empty except for Beliem and Sariana in the far corner and Remiel oddly at the table nearest the door. Anah gave a quick glare at him. As much as she didn’t like him for his reaction to having her as his partner, Anah was now part of the Renegade and he wasn’t going to ruin it for her.
“Any girl working there that caught your eye?” Anah looked back at Emil who was flabbergasted by her remark. She giggled and smiled. Emil had never met a girl worth his time but he wouldn’t actually find one at the Tin Man.
“Women don’t work there Anah and you know that,” Emil smiled. He finished his drink. “I should be going.” Emil stood up and headed towards the door. Anah followed him. She ran a hand through her short, thick mass of hair. Emil’s eyes watched her movement from the feet up.
“Well, thanks for coming. You’re a good friend Emil,” she whispered. Anah wished she could tell him about how she missed her parents or how guilty she felt but Emil wasn’t one to listen. He was busy with his own thoughts and troubles.
“I know,” he replied with a smile. He leaned down and kissed Anah on the cheek. She jumped away. Her gray eyes were wide with shock staring at Emil. She shook her head and bit her lip quickly for a second.
“Don’t do that Emil,” she warned. He tilted his head as she frowned at him. “I hate stuff like that.” He had tried countless times before to kiss her but Anah had always stepped away in time or just gotten a kiss on the cheek. She sighed, “Why don’t you go to work with us on a good note?” She patted his thin arm, “Bye Emil.”
He turned away from her and headed towards the door. He looked over his shoulder, “Bye, Anah.” Then her friend slumped out the door as if she had just stabbed him in the back.
“You should give him a chance,” her godmother pitched from the bar. Anah turned on her heels and stared. Her godmother was wiping clean the bar. Her red frizzy hair was caught in the light showing the strands that got away.
“It’s just a crush. He’ll get over it.” Anah shrugged sort of wishing her aunt would drop it. Her mother had given her the same speech. Talking about it now was just brining her mother’s voice in her head which was eating her on the inside.
“But will you? Come on Anah, what’s so scary about a boy?” Gwenal threw the rag in her hand at her niece. Anah caught it and stared at the dirty towel. Everything, she told herself, is scary about a boy when he thinks you feel something more than the truth.
“Let it be Gwenal. She just a babe, she’ll grow in time,” Beliem chuckled, throwing his advice from across the room. Anah stared at all of them, Sariana, Beliem, and Gwenal in order to make sure they’d drop it. “See, look at her glare, she’s ready to hurt someone,” Beliem laughed.
“You sure are scary with your eyes like that,” a voice whispered nearby. Anah turned her head to see Remiel standing up with his arms cross. His hood was down now as he glared at her. “Tell me, what am I suppose to do with a partner who is scared of some weakling? I can’t cover for you all the time. And your eyes give away your position in the dark they’re so bright.” His voice was harsh and curt.
Anah laughed sarcastically even though she knew he was right, “Please, I’ll be fine. Don’t worry about me. I’m a warrior and I’ll fend for myself.” Remiel looked at her, observing her lean muscular arms and calves. Her bare feet appeared calloused, ready to run on hot cobblestones if need be.
“How many weapons do you keep?” Remiel asked, staring at her sword Fawkes. His dark blue eyes shifted up on her face with a daring expression. Anah felt the need to respond. She pulled out two daggers from under her chests, another one from the small of her back, and a fourth from her thigh. She held the weapons well as if she could fight with them at the same time. Remiel wouldn’t be surprised if she could.
“Anah! Where did you get all of those?” Gwenal had darted around the bar to her niece observing one of the daggers, “And how did you get such expensive ones as these?” Remiel walked over and Anah flipped one in her hand to hold the blade as she passed the hilt to him.
“You save up money since your tenth birthday and by the time you’re fourteen you get these. They aren’t as good as Fawkes here but they’ll do in case of emergencies,” Anah answered. Remiel noted the silver blades engraved with old languages. “They say ‘Fight as one for all.’”
Remiel handed her back the blade, “Keep them with you when we go out tomorrow. You might need them. I trust you’re good with your sword.”
“She’s the best Remiel old lad, don’t you worry,” Beliem called from the corner. Anah placed her swords away as she looked at her partner. He had to be twenty four and no younger than that. She didn’t deny seeing the black splotch on his hand serving as a scar from bad blood in his veins. She would have to ask him eventually.
Remiel looked at Anah up and down sending some strange electric current through her. Anah was suddenly aware of being with this man every night and risking her life while protecting his. He noticed her unease although she tried hard to hide it. Remiel looked at Beliem, “Who are you calling old Beliem?”
Anah turned and backed away from him. A hand grabbed her wrist to stop her and Anah turned to have to look into Remiel’s eyes, so dark she felt trapped in a cave. “You aren’t backing out right?”
Anah pulled her hand away, “Never, I have to do this. I need to get even.” She bit the inside of her cheek as she replayed the harsh tone of her voice inside her head. She would have to control her anger like that. If she couldn’t control her voice than she couldn’t control her anger and that could result in some bad events. Anah left the room and headed upstairs to her room above the bar. Her aunt could handle the slow business without Anah. She would have to do it from now on seeing as how Anah was a night rot for the Renegade.

Chapter 2
Anah woke early morning to make her way to the Magik Tree. No one really knew of the tree except for those with certain magik in their blood. Anah had been shown the tree by her Mum and Da. They told her the tree would allow her to heal from any wounds or talk to any god that listened.
She dressed herself in a loose cotton tunic dyed blue and tan breeches. She put on her favorite black riding boots. Anah attempted to comb her hair even though the strands were only longer than her pinky and combing did nothing for it. She stared at herself for a moment in the mirror.
Her stubborn chin was lightly curved with a thin scar that faded in well with her pale skin. Her freckles were darker now as the summer drew closer. A certain light shone through the window of the spring morning on to Anah’s hair giving off the browns and reds dancing in her hair. She sighed, “Emil shouldn’t like this. I look too much like a boy.” But Anah knew even with the short hair and thin lined lips, her eyes and arched eyebrows gave her away. Not to mention she had a chest but she forced to hide it with baggy clothes so people saw her as a warrior before a young woman.
Anah rolled her eyes and got up to leave. She put all four daggers into well hidden positions of her body. During the winter and long sleeves, she had two more blades on her forearms. She held Fawkes delicately in her hands. The sword had been given to her by her parents. Da handpicked the blade and style of hilt while her mother had designed the engraving on the blade. The silver sword had the cutting outline of a griffin in the small corner surrounded by flames.
She placed Fawkes around her waist and headed out to the hallway of the second floor to The Weary Gin. The tavern closed on late hours so Gwenal was still sleeping when Anah headed downstairs. The chairs were all upturned onto the tables to make sweeping late at night easier. All the dirty mugs were on the bar and the ashes of the fire were still bright red. Everyone had to have left only two or three hours before.
Anah pushed her way out the front door into the open city life of the lower cities. The Justil, as they were called, were still empty. Most markets didn’t open until afternoon where as mornings were spent within the home.
All the buildings were touching side to side except for the occasional few with an alleyway in between. The only living creatures out at the time would be rats and then the actual animals that they were named after. Anah made sure to walk with her chin up and her eyes forward. She knew she’d be mistaken for a very thin muscled man with her short haircut and baggy clothes especially in the very early light of dawn.
The air smelt of the trashes left in the alleyway and not once like the fresh bloom of flowers and grass like she could back in her old home. Anah stepped forward towards the death market, or the higher parts of the city. The richer folk lived in Helene where the castle Tirl was located. The king performed all of his hangings there hence the nickname ‘the death market’. Anah ran her hand along the brick walls as she stuffed her left hand in her pocket.
The sky was a light pink in front of her as she headed east towards the Magik Tree. She could barely see past the buildings that were mostly two stories tall. Anah couldn’t ignore the cracked windows or the splintered doors. Here she lived among the poor and homeless while the King lived in luxury. She hated Shadows. They killed her parents and the only punishment that felt right for her was killing them back.
Anah walked to the Magik Tree to visit the god Atermi, the god of warriors, to ask for help so she could start and finish this war. She wanted to get them all killed because the Shadows were a cult, a group of the dead souls that together took part in the death of her parents. Anah bit her lip until she felt the skin break. As blood pooled around the cut Anah focused in on the skin. Her blue magik widened in her eyes and the blood stopped pumping out as the skin grew over the cut.
The Looking Glass was a gift her mother had that ran in the family line. The gift allowed Anah to see far things in detail, see when people lied, or even heal her cuts giving she wasn’t too weak. Anah kicked a stone and watched it skip across the cobblestoned path. The lower cities were crap as she noted. The roads were missing stones so any carriage was bound to get stuck or a horse to injure its leg. The buildings sagged and broke apart. Any plant that grew wilted just as fast as it entered the air.
When Anah reached one of the oldest looking houses, the kind the children ran away from, she entered it instantly. She knew well enough the secrets of the home and what lay inside. Don’t be afraid of the Magik Tree but don’t be stupid. Here is a place where gods can meet mortals. Don’t expect to get the divine being you want to talk to. Her mother’s voice rang out in her mind. Anah could feel her Da large reassuring hand on her shoulder as they brought her here on the night of her fifteenth birthday. Nothing had happened that night and her mom had been disappointed.
Inside the house, Anah breathed in dust and mildew as the holes in the roof let in the light. The home’s second floor was inaccessible since the stairs gave way decades ago. The floor was scattered with papers and pieces of woods. The soul living thing of the room was taking in the space of almost the entire house.
The bark of the tree was pure white as it twisted around each other. The knots were scared black and the bark twisted around them too. The limbs reached out to the light as the roots broke into the floor. Anah walked over and rested her hand on the trunk feeling the warm, breathing life of the tree.
Anah reached out her thoughts to the tree hoping it would send her messages to the gods. The tree was twelve or thirteen feet taller than she was. The trunk so wide she couldn’t wrap her arms around it and have her hands touch. Anah hugged the tree though and pressed her cheek against the bark. “Help me, I need it now.”
“Don’t expect Atermi, then.” A soft, sweet-glazed voice rang out as Anah’s eyes whipped open. A woman dressed in a long red silk gown stood out from around the tree. Her dark curls were piled on top of her head and a silver crown indicated her stature. Anah’s magik saw the golden glow of the woman even though she was shaped as a human.
“What goddess are you?” Anah asked, backing away from the tree. The woman’s high laced sandals were golden too. Her eyes were almond shaped and green. Her bright red lips were tweaked in a wicked smile.
“I’m Nelrina, the queen goddess. I’ve been watching you for awhile Anah,” the goddess eyed the white tree and ran her hand down the trunk. The touch left a golden color to the bark for a few seconds after. “I need you to do me a favor.”
“I was told never make a deal with a goddess for she might stab you with a knife and enjoy turning it,” Anah placed her hands on her hips staring at the goddess. She wasn’t going to give in. She wasn’t a stupid mortal. There were rumors of what happened to a mortal who didn’t wager well enough.
“Understood,” Nelrina whispered, “You’re looking for revenge which is always such a mortal thing we gods feel too. I need you to make sure you win Anah. I need the people in power again.”
“What do you mean?” What could a goddess have to do with mortal business? Anah stepped closer to the goddess. She tilted her head slightly to show her curiosity but also lifted her chin up a bit to show her stubbornness.
“The Shadows are a cross between our world and yours. The power in the mortal world gives them strength to ruin ours. The gods and goddesses have no power anymore. The King took them away. If you win this battle than both worlds would be restored to a state of peace.” Nelrina stepped closer to Anah as well reaching out her hand. Anah caught a scent of burnt wood mixed with flower potions of the goddess’s clothing. The goddess’s touch was barely felt as she lifted Anah’s right wrist. Her other hand held out a bracelet.
“What’s that?” Anah eyed it as the goddess slipped the thick leather band around her wrist. The bracelet shrunk once it was on so it could never be taken off. Anah lifted the bracelet in front of her eyes to observe it better.
“It’s proof that you will do all you can to bring the Renegade to a victory and make sure Ione gets on that throne.” Anah needed a second to remember that the goddess meant the General’s fifteen year old daughter. “No one can break that bracelet off until you defeat the enemy, the Shadow King’s heir.”
“Why not the Shadow King himself?” Anah arched an eyebrow and the goddess smiled. Anah set her eyes on the bracelet. At least as a warrior the bracelet worked for her and wasn’t some girly string of pearls.
“He’s dying. His heir is pretty much keeping the gods from their powers now. Kill him and all the Shadows will die.” The goddess placed a hand on Anah’s shoulder. “Take care my daughter; you will do well in this. I have faith. Your parents are watching and they say to let go of revenge. You fight for something bigger than yourself.” The goddess smiled wide enough to make Anah have to squint to see past the radiance. Her eyes watered from the light and she eventually blinked. When Anah was able to open her eyes the goddess was gone but the bracelet remained.
“How do you know of this place?” Anah turned to the voice to find the last person she wanted to see at the moment. Her partner Remiel stood in the shadows by the open door. He was staring at the Magik Tree, obviously seeing it as well as Anah did.
“My parents took me here when I turned fifteen.” Anah whispered while avoiding her partner by turning her back to him and staring up at the tree. He didn’t want to be partnered with her so she didn’t have to be nice to him.
Anah heard his footsteps though as his feet stepped on the sagging floor that wasn’t just earth. When he stood beside her she felt the warm presence. His skin smelt of sweet hay and spring air. Anah felt refreshed from it.
“I’m sorry about your parents. They were very nice to me when I was younger despite of who I was. I had been seven or eight when they dropped out of the rebellion. I remember you though; we’d met when we were young.” Anah glanced at Remiel to see he was staring at the black scar on his hand. She remembered him a little bit too. She caught the glance of hate he sent at the wound in his palm.
“Is that the reason you can see the tree? You don’t have any magik in you so there has to be another reason.” Anah’s parents explained that while her father couldn’t see it, she and her mother could because of the magik in them. If someone saw the tree but didn’t have magik they had something else about them.
Remiel glared at her, his dark eyes sending shivers up her spine, “Why should I tell you? You’re just a kid.” Anah opened her mouth to retort but he was walking away from her towards the tree. She closed her hands into fists and held back yelling as loud as she could at him.
“I’m not just some kid. You’ll see, tonight, I’ll prove to you and to everyone else that I’m a fighter.” Anah walked over to him and crossed her arms over her chest. Remiel looked at her with a grin and shook his head. “You think it’s funny? I’m sixteen and I can probably beat you in any type of dual.”
“Relax Bright Eyes,” Remiel put up his hands, “We don’t need to fight. I think you’d do very well in a dual against a rat. It’s the Shadows that I don’t think you can handle.” Anah smacked his arm as hard as she could. The man rubbed his arm but didn’t flinch. Anah was trying not to shake her hand free of the stinging pain.
“Why is it you don’t think I can do it?” Anah let out a breath of frustration. “I’m stronger than you think.” He looked her up and down, sending those same shivers throughout Anah’s body. “Just because I’m a girl doesn’t mean I can’t fight. Now, can you tell me why you see the tree?”
Anah leaned against the tree and laid her hands in front of her. She twiddled her thumbs waiting upon a reply from her partner. His smile faded to a firm frown. “My blood line consists of more than magik Bright Eyes.”
“Call me Anah, Remiel. We are partners in the Renegade. First names are better than stupid nicknames.” She bit her lip for speaking and waited even longer for him to continue talking.
“Anah, I’m part Shadow. My father was dead but still able to have children, live a life, and he remained ageless for a good time if it weren’t for the day where all men and women who are ageless Shadows go to the castle every few years. When they leave, they are aging but they lose any human senses. He was killed quickly and I was just a baby then.”
He leaned against the tree next to Anah. His black tunic had a v-neck that was open and the strings dangling loosely. His black breeches and boots made his skin paler than that of a ghost. “What of your mother?” Anah covered her mouth for being so impolite. She didn’t mean to intrude. She was trying to get on the better side of this man so that he and she wouldn’t fight each other in the middle of their patrol.
He laughed, “Don’t be ashamed for asking a question. My mother was the former goddess Fernia, the reason why I see this here tree is because she planted it to climb down from the Divine Realms and meet my father. She was locked away after my birth in the Divine Realms. I come here to talk to her.” Anah could tell he was being honest with her.
Anah saw that he was bothered with the telling of his story. “I’m sorry for asking, it wasn’t my business.” She scolded herself for being so rude. Her mother had always smacked her hand and warned her of her manners. Anah wished she had listened back then.
“Well, I insulted your fighting, if you truly can,” Remiel coughed looking at her with a grin. “We’ll have to see though if you’re being honest.” His black scar, the sign of the Shadow blood in his veins, was visible to Anah.
Anah felt confused that he was in the Renegade. His blood was the same as her enemy. He shared a commonality with the ones who were the reason her parents rotted in the ground. Would she be breaking her promise if she didn’t kill him? She couldn’t though, not through alliance to the Renegade.
Anah pushed herself off the trunk of the tree and prepared herself to walk away. “Anah, do not be unprepared. Get yourself rested and well-fed before tonight. We head out at eight of the night.” Anah turned and stood tall like a man would to show he was just as important as the one he was speaking too. Remiel smiled when he saw what she was doing.
“I’ll see you then Remiel,” she returned the smile as she ran her hand over the new bracelet on her wrist. “Don’t be late.” As she turned on her heels she heard a small laugh from Remiel. She left the building with a smile on her face. Maybe they wouldn’t fight so much as she thought.

To Be Continued...
© Copyright 2009 A. Schroth (writerac1029 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1552156-Bright-Eyes-Chapter-1--2