*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1553910-Perfectly-Imperfect
Rated: E · Short Story · History · #1553910
A professor discovers that his ancestor lied in his diary about his life during the war.
Perfectly Imperfect
Word Count: 1,500

The Class filed into my classroom. I looked around at all of the students. The bell rang and the class became silent. They had their books on the desk and they waited for me to begin.
“Hello class, as you knows this is a completely new class we are only covering the America Revolution.”
I looked at the faces to see if they had any reaction to it. One person caught my attention she looked very pleased about the class while the other students seemed that this was just another class. That thought left my mind quickly when a book fell off of my desk.
“I have a little assignment that should take five minutes. The sheet I’m passing out is just for me to see how much you know about the Revolution.”
The sound of a few displeased huffs could be heard. I chuckled to myself and picked up the book that fell before and sat down to read. When the last student placed the work on my desk, I heard a throat clear. Looking up I noticed the same student that caught my attention before.
“Sorry but I was wondering what you’re reading.” she asked.
“This book is actually my ancestors experience during the Revolution. He was a Patriot.”
The class perked up when they heard that. All except the student in front of me I would swear I heard her say “are you sure?” I started the lesson on the causes of the war. The class seemed interested with the subject. The class went on for about thirty more minutes before the sound of the bell to signal the end of class.
“Homework read the first section and answer, the questions at the end.”

After the class left I picked up the questionnaire and placed them in my bag and left. The halls were unusually quiet for the time of day. I made it to my office and placed my bag on the desk. As I read the questionnaires I was fortunate to see that the class had a basic understanding of the war. One person was very detailed about certain areas almost as if the student lived during the war. When I looked who answered this particular questionnaire Abigail Thomas. The answer that really surprised me was for the question: What was the most significant turn of events that lead to the patriot’s victory?
“The one major turning point must have been when General Howe captured Philadelphia instead of reinforcing General Burgoyne in New York. General Howe should have realized he was not fighting a normal enemy. Philadelphia had no real significance to the Patriots it was only where the Continental Congress was which fled before the British arrived. If General Howe were to reinforce General Burgoyne they would have cut the colonies in half which would have forced the Patriots to surrender.”
I sat there in shock that a freshman would write something this thought out. If I were to compare her answer to the other students from my sophomore and junior student they wouldn’t even come close. Her class should be a very interesting one. About on hour later I was placing the questionnaires back into my bag and a knock on the door startled me. I looked up and noticed two students standing in front of my desk. One student was the mysterious Abigail Thomas and Elizabeth Paine.
“Professor, I have a question for you. How well do you know your ancestor that wrote the diary you’re reading?” Abigail asked.
“The only information I could find on him is what’s written in his diary.” I replied.
“We know where to find more information if you’re interested.” Elizabeth said.
I sat there in shock I’ve been looking for about three years and these two students know where the information is how could I say no even if the information is wrong. I looked at my two students and smiled at them. I stuck my hand out and saw them both smile at each other. Each one took a hand and the next thing I saw was a bright white flash.

When the light vanished I noticed we were no longer in my office at the college but in a wooded area. Glancing around I couldn’t see anything but trees and a stream.
“Where did you take me?”
“We decided the easy way to tell you about your ancestor is to show you. You are in the year 1777.” Abigail stated.
I was shocked did I hear that correctly? While staring franticly around I could hear the two ladies laughing.
“What’s so funny?”
“You don’t believe us come on we’ll show you then.”
They each wrapped their arms around mine and we walked deeper into the woods. As the woods became dense they abruptly stopped. They then pointed into a clearing that was not even 20 feet away. As I looked I noticed a British General talking to a man. The man handed him a piece of paper and then said that Major General Gates was planning to attack General Burgoyne. I was speechless to witness this spy handing over the information. I was just about to say something when Elizabeth covered my mouth with her hand. The two men walked away in different directions nobody said anything for few minutes.
“We have to warn somebody.” I said.
“If we do that we will be charged as spies and hanged.” Elizabeth replied
“We need to leave immediately before somebody comes back.” Abigail whispered.
Once again they took my arms and lead us away from the clearing but as we walked away a click sounded from behind us. I turned my head and saw a soldier with a musket raised at us. I put myself in front of the two ladies.
“Looks like I find three spies. I better take you to see the general.”
“We are not spies!” I shouted.
“If you yell one more time I’ll use the bayonet. Now march.”
The soldier kept the bayonet pointed at the whole way to the encampment as we approached other soldier came over to help. I looked around for the man we saw talking to the British General but he was nowhere to be seen. We were told to stop outside of a tent an officer walked inside. A few minutes later the officer reappeared.
“The General wants to see the three of you.”
I was scared if the general found us guilty of spying we could be sentenced to hang and I have no clue if these ladies could obtain the time for us to escape. The officer led us into the tent; the general was staring at the three of us.
“Are these the accused spies?” he asked.
“Sir, we are not spies. We were riding when three British soldiers forced us off our horses. They then ran us into the woods before stealing our horses. While we were wondering we saw a man talking to a British Officer in the woods talking about your next attack.” Abigail stated.
The general stood and pounded the table. The officers in the room flinched at the noise. He looked at Abigail; I stood frozen hoping he believed her lie about the horses.
“Somebody take these three to General Arnold. Maybe he can think of some type of punishment. They are trespassing on military grounds”
“General these three are spies.”
“I doubt that General Lincoln. She seemed very truthful to her story but we’ll see what General Washington has to say. After our battle General Arnold will take these three to see him and he’ll make the final decision.”
General Lincoln called for the soldiers outside to escort us to General Arnold. When we arrived at his tent General Arnold was surprised to see the armed guards and us.
“General Gates would like you to watch these three possible spies.”
“Tell General Gates that this will interfere with my abilities to command my troops but will guard them anyway.”
“Yes General.”
He offered the two ladies a seat and we both stood there. The sound of drum beats alerted us to the troops forming for an attack. General Arnold left the tent and headed towards General Gates but he told a soldier to guard us.
“Is this the attack that we heard the man tell the British Officer?”
“Take our hands we must leave now before it’s too late.” Elizabeth whispered.
“What are you talking about?”
“The man you saw was your ancestor and he just gave the British the plans for the battle. So if we don’t leave they will hang us as spies.”
I didn’t know what to say so I took their hand and once again saw a bright white flash. When the light faded we were standing in my office again. I look at the two ladies they smiled and vanished before I could blink. I sat down and looked at the diary of my ancestor and then threw it into the trash.
© Copyright 2009 Rev1780 (rev1780 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1553910-Perfectly-Imperfect