*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1556458-The-glimmer
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1556458
The boiler erupted in a hazy of dirt and metal. survive or die in this man made hell.
The dust and dirt was everywhere breathing impossible , Dave took a breath as his face was towards the bottom of a huge dark pit. Fuck what the hell help , HELP , anyone there! Dave paused as he caught his breath looking at the surroundings , It all of a sudden became aware the place where his was building a scaffold had completely colapsed.Grit and dirt lodge in his mouth , the taste was dry and burnt every time he breathed. HELP ! he muttered but no answer only the horrible sounds of metal rubbing on metal .With his hands he grabbed the standard and pulled himself up to a sitting position. The light on his hard hat was flickering and made it hard to see. Twisted metal tangled together looking like a spiders web not looking like anything he can remember building. Hey anyone there ! then he remembered he was the only one there as he was to make sure that it was safe. That was his job to check the scaffold .Fuck , fuck , HELP. This fuckin' monstrosity that was built i told the company it was too big and the feet could not hold it.Looking up he saw a glimmer of light like looking at the stars, No bloody way am i going to get up there anymore, shit my tool belt . How is it up there , jesus i have fallen three floors down.. Well no use i am not going to die here. looking at the floor under him .
Two planks , lying on a transom on one side and the other wedge in between a ladder. At least this is stable enough to hold my weight he thought to himself.
On the floor a clip that holds the scaffold pieces toghter was left behind , grabbing that and tighting the bolt enough he hook it on a ledger which is like a railling that stops people from falling of the scaffold in the boiler. He started to shimmy up the wall with one foot barely on the stars of a standard and useing the clip to slide up the ledger. Just a bit fyrther to the next flooring peice that looks safe ! As he pulled on the clip it came off Dave was dangling with his leg wrapped around the standard , Stopping him from to his death, his heart pounding like someone punching his chest. His hands getting slippery from sweat. As he slipped a bit further he turned completley upside down. His back sore from the stars of the standard banging into them. He grabbed the standard to stop him swinging. And with one big effort he pulled himself up forward by twisting to the side and making his body fold like it should never go.
© Copyright 2009 Nick Wind (windmorwell at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1556458-The-glimmer