*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1558242-Deaths-Grip
by Jello
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Emotional · #1558242
A short story, telling about a tragedy.
He sat at the table. Is this really happening? He thought. He had just recieved a letter from the U.S. military department stating that his son, James, who was in the army, had been killed. But there was something about this letter that made it horribly agonizing.
Hello Mr. Anderson, we're sorry to inform you that your son, James, has been killed. Yes, Yes, we know that he wasn't supposed to be fighting any time soon, and we understand your complaints that you will file. But please, do not reveal this following information to the public or your wife or anyone. We (The Army/Navy/Marines/Ect.) have lately been performing expirements on multiple soldiers, that are supposed to make them stronger, and more able to take bullet wounds and survive. We do this in their sleep, but when we were inserting our needle into James, he turned and the needle went into his heart, normally you want someones heart to grow 3 times the original size, but this was not the case. Goodbye, and you will receive $100 for your sons death
How could they just leave it at that? The words kept on being said in his mind by a unrecognizable voice... ...Your son, James, has been killed...You will receive $100...
Really? They think $100 could cover someones death? They think they can just tell him not to tell anybody and he won't tell? This isn't middle school anymore, this is adult life, and killing someone who should have never been killed shouldn't be told? What will Jame's girlfriend say? What will his mom say?
He sat crying at the table, thinking of what to do...

Two Years Later


"Not Guilty," The news was unbearable. How could they?
Everyone left the courtroom slowly scuffling and grumbling. But the father sat at his plaintiff table, just thinking. He thought they might have had a chance, when it made it to the Supreme Court. He remembered that night, two years ago, when he had read that fateful letter. Alot had happened since then, He remembered his wife's reaction to the news, she almost jumped out a window, eventually she had to be sent to a mental institution. He hadn't seen her since.
The girlfriends reaction was even worse, she had killed herself the next day, Overdosed on depression pills.
He thought about what had happened after that, he sued the U.S. Army for their actions. Of course they denied all the tests and such, and of course the government listened. He tried using all the evidence he had, the letter, the deaths, and some wastes he had collected from his son's dead body.
But it had failed, everything had failed.
"Sir, you must leave the room," He turned around, "Now please," the man said again. He recognized the man, it was Bailiff Stephens.
"Yes, sir"

Later that night, he bought a gun. I wish I could tell you, that he joined the army and used the gun wisely, I wish I could. But lets just say... He decided to see his son once again...
© Copyright 2009 Jello (jello12 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1558242-Deaths-Grip